Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Not true !
I have known people die that were w/o any teeth for several years.
The undertaker asked if the family wanted packing used to fill the jaws out some.
"looking good in a coffin" does not depend on teeth .
lol and you really think that the dentures went in the deceased's mouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 PM

629 posts, read 932,088 times
Quote:
(1st paragraph )............."I want to look good in my coffin"

What does that have to do with teeth ?

I have attended many wakes/viewings in my life and never did I see teeth exposed on the body.

Is it usual, where you live , for the undertaker to have the person smiling in the coffin with teeth exposed ?
I am only repeating what my patient told me. Once again (I have lost count how many times now) you have completely missed the point, so I will spell it out I for you as I would for a child. The point is that everyone has different motivations in their lives and that we should not judge the likelihood of someone proceeding or not proceeding with an elective medical procedure based solely on age.

When your time comes, make sure you leave those top of the line dentures to someone you trust - don't want the mortician stealing those babies.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am only repeating what my patient told me. Once again (I have lost count how many times now) you have completely missed the point, so I will spell it out I for you as I would for a child. The point is that everyone has different motivations in their lives and that we should not judge the likelihood of someone proceeding or not proceeding with an elective medical procedure based solely on age.

When your time comes, make sure you leave those top of the line dentures to someone you trust - don't want the mortician stealing those babies.
The only reason I " missed the point" is because you inserted/fabricated the part about "looking good in the coffin"

That comment made as much sense as if she had said ......." make sure I have my best shoes on because I want to look good in a coffin "

I've never seen teeth exposed at a viewing.
I've never seen shoes exposed at a viewing.

But, if one made their living selling expensive dental work or selling expensive shoes, I could see why they would fabricate the line about....."looking good in the coffin "

Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The only reason I " missed the point" is because you inserted/fabricated the part about "looking good in the coffin"
That comment made as much sense as if she had said ......." make sure I have my best shoes on because I want to look good in a coffin "
But, if one made their living selling expensive dental work or selling expensive shoes, I could see why they would fabricate the line about....."looking good in the coffin "
Why in the world are you making a big deal out of this? I bought my Dad a shirt and tie when I was about 15 and he never wore it, and every time I asked him about it he said he was saving it for his funeral so he would look spiffy in his casket. No one, not even myself as a naive adolescent took him seriously.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:

This would be funny if it weren't so sad. Whether or not you believe what my patient said makes no difference to me. It does not change the fact that your posts only reveal you have an axe to grind with the dental profession, and are looking for a place to grind it.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Surprised dentists have so much time to post during the workday.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why in the world are you making a big deal out of this? I bought my Dad a shirt and tie when I was about 15 and he never wore it, and every time I asked him about it he said he was saving it for his funeral so he would look spiffy in his casket. No one, not even myself as a naive adolescent took him seriously.
apples to oranges
shirts and ties are visible when one is in a casket for viewing.

Teeth and shoes are not

Your point is ?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Should have bought him top of the line dentures.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Should have bought him top of the line dentures.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
apples to oranges
shirts and ties are visible when one is in a casket for viewing.
Teeth and shoes are not
Your point is ?
Let's take a look at the sequence of posts that led up to this:

I started a thread asking for opinions of getting an implant at 70.

A forum member suggested that at 70 the best thing to do is to pursue the least expensive dental options at that age

Several people talked about how they had family members who lived to be 100 etc.

Bart0323 who happens to be a dentist said "Bottom line - make sure you doctor gives you ALL the options without any judgement about age, ability to pay, etc. Once you have the options, YOU decide what treatment you feel would be best for you."

then, in that same post he related a story about one of his patients who TOLD HIM that she wanted her teeth fixed so she would look good in the casket.

He never said get your teeth fixed so you will look good in your casket, he never tried to sell his professional services, he never said that you can see people's teeth in a casket, he never said jack about any of that, he shared a cute story with us, but somehow you have whipped yourself up in a frenzy and now feel the need to remind us that shirts aren't like teeth?

Please give it a rest....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health