Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,310,501 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a custom-made dental guard?

I've had a problem with grinding my teeth for years. My dh says I grind in my sleep. Its so bad he says it sounds like I'm chewing popcorn kernels! I've tr4ied various OTC dental guards, but I always wake up holding it! My dentist said the problem is getting serious. My back molars show significant erosion. He suggested a custom-made dental guard. His price is $450, and I don't think insurance covers any of that.

Has anyone else had a custom-made dental guard? Did you find it worked better than an OTC type? Does $450 sound reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:19 PM

14,198 posts, read 14,567,911 times
Athletic mouth guard that is immersed in boiling water then inserted in your mouth to set. Trim to fit better. $4.99

Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Athletic mouth guard that is immersed in boiling water then inserted in your mouth to set. Trim to fit better. $4.99
I think that's what I've been using. Its called Dental Guard for Bruxism--night grinding. This is the type you boil then insert to set. Its made by DenTek. I haven't tried an actual athletic mouth guard but its worth a try before I spend $450

Like I said, I just don't seem to tolerate a mouth guard. I usually take it out in my sleep and wake up holding it! Perhaps a custom-made one would fit better and I would tolerate it more, but I doubt it. My teeth are in normal alignment, They are not out-of-line or misshapen. I don't know if a custom-made guard would fit any better. However, I don't want to grind my teeth away, either

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM

15 posts, read 15,397 times
I've had custom guards made before and $450 sounds on the higher side. I need a new one and the prices I got recently were $295 to $450. I paid about $250 when I had one made a few years ago. I didn't care for the guards I had made in the dentist's office because they were hard and left ridges inside my cheeks. They seemed to change my bite for the worse too. That said, I think a guard is better than the serious damage of grinding your teeth. A dentist told me they can make a softer more 'cushiony' guard, so that's probably what I'll get for my next one. I never had much luck with the OTC ones either. The Oral-B was decent, but those boil-and-bite guards are difficult to get a good fit. I would call around for prices and ask what type of guards they make.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,577,703 times
Mouth guards make me gag. I can't wear one. I have enough trouble sleeping anyway.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Anyone know if insurance covers any of it?

I just wish I knew why I grind my teeth. My husband says it sounds like I'm grinding ice or popcorn kernels! I always wake up with a headache, I don't doubt the grinding contributes to that. I also have sinus problems. Waking up is painful! I must have two Tylenol, two sudaphed, and two cups of strong coffee just to feel human!

I will try one more brand of dental guard, then see about custom-fit. It would be worth the money if I could sleep well, wake up without pain, and prevent future tooth damage!

Old 07-11-2017, 11:51 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,732,869 times
I'm picking up my new custom one tomorrow as I chewed up the previous one. I both clench and grind. In my case, I had bone cysts under both lower wisdom teeth many years ago which required extensive surgery to correct. Unfortunately, the procedure left me with major TMJ issues so a bite guard is essential to keep me out of trouble. I've broken and/or ground down quite a few teeth along the way before I started using the bite guard. I even clench when I'm concentrating on something during the day so when I'm home alone I'll be wearing it around the house. I just have to remember to take it out if I answer the door!

I've tried the OTC ones but never could find one that was comfortable. They also made me drool, for some reason. I never had that problem with the previous custom one. Hopefully this new one will be comfy - I'm a little worried about that but time will tell.

My new one is $400. I don't have dental insurance now although I did when I got the first one years ago. But it's still cheaper than crowns . . . at one point I ground no less than five teeth to the point that they all were cracked and needed crowns at the same time! Fortunately I had dental insurance then or the repairs would have broken the bank.

I hope you can find an OTC one that works for you. My cousin has had good luck with the OTC version so maybe you will too.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone!
It appears the cost is not out of line for a custom made, especially considering the alternatives, including cracked teeth, decay, infections, etc. Also, the headaches! I've used up my dental benefits for this year, so I will continue with the drugstore-type until insurance starts back.

I also need to see how much insurance will pay.

I happen to like my teeth and want to keep them! We are nearing retirement, in about 2 years. Keeping our teeth in good shape is part of our retirement planning. Many people don't experience major dental problems until they reach their 60's, right when they lose their dental insurance! They simply can't afford dental work, which, in many cases, could have been prevented, or at least forestalled, by proper dental care in their younger years.

I still wonder why I grind my teeth? Is there anything that could help prevent it, like a muscle relaxant, special pillows, jaw exercises, etc? Any ideas appreciated!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 AM

44,549 posts, read 61,257,045 times
My dentist only charges $35.00 for a custom dental guard. His tech takes a putty mould of the teeth and about an hour later you have a finished plastic/rubbery guard.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 AM

15 posts, read 15,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone!
It appears the cost is not out of line for a custom made, especially considering the alternatives, including cracked teeth, decay, infections, etc. Also, the headaches! I've used up my dental benefits for this year, so I will continue with the drugstore-type until insurance starts back.

I also need to see how much insurance will pay.

I happen to like my teeth and want to keep them! We are nearing retirement, in about 2 years. Keeping our teeth in good shape is part of our retirement planning. Many people don't experience major dental problems until they reach their 60's, right when they lose their dental insurance! They simply can't afford dental work, which, in many cases, could have been prevented, or at least forestalled, by proper dental care in their younger years.

I still wonder why I grind my teeth? Is there anything that could help prevent it, like a muscle relaxant, special pillows, jaw exercises, etc? Any ideas appreciated!
It could be a lot of things. Are you a type-A personality? Going through stress? Hyperthyroid? Doing too much before you go to bed? Is your bite out of alignment? Do you drink lots of caffeinated beverages? Check any medications you take to see if teeth grinding is a side-effect.

A quality memory foam pillow (or any pillow) with good neck support can help. Anything that helps you de-stress is worth trying: exercise, meditation, tranquil music before bed, pure lavender oil (a few drops on the pillow or a aromatherapy diffuser in the bedroom), or Bach Flower Rescue Remedy drops or spray.

Last edited by ben25; 07-12-2017 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health