Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 14,532 times

Advertisements

I had a crown on my left top wisdom tooth about 12 years ago b/c food was getting stuck between and its antagonist wisdom tooth was (and still is) in a good shape. It was made of gold and I've had no problem with the tooth until recently it became sensitive when chewing. My (new) dentist found there's a small crack on the crown.

She says she doesn't understand why my old dentist put a crown on it 12 years ago, and she'd prefer extraction. I'm reluctant because the tooth has been contributing with chewing and afraid my top tooth will realign to create gaps between rest of teeth.

My new dentist will look under the crown this Friday but it's very likely she'll recommend extraction. I'm thinking of insisting a new crown. When not considering cost effect, is extraction still a better course of action?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 05:00 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
A crown on a wisdom tooth makes no sense to me......I resisted having mine removed until I was 65, until they really created a problem with crowding and cleaning. Bad idea, should have listened to multiple dentists over the years to have them removed.....

read webmd

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
I never heard of a crown on a wisdom tooth. Most people have their wisdom teeth removed if they cause any trouble.

Sounds like you're used to having the crown there, and concerned how removing the crown & wisdom tooth will effect your chewing.

Discuss your concerns with the dentist before making a decision.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
[quote=daliowa;48977493]I never heard of a crown on a wisdom tooth. Most people have their wisdom teeth removed if they cause any trouble. /QUOTE]

I have all my wisdom teeth. Because my bite is off, they are important for chewing. Also because of this odd bite I went through a few years of tooth grinding/TMJ. The contact surfaces of 3 of the 4 wisdom teeth ended up quite worn. The dentist and I really discussed whether to crown them for protection, and decided to do it. No problems with any of them before or since.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:04 AM

6 posts, read 14,532 times
Thanks for replies. I understand ectraction is generally recommended.
For me as well, extraction is an easy option but since I've had it with crown for a long time with zero problems and since it's gone forever once extracted, I wondered being conservative with extraction could have any merit.

Last edited by iposter; 07-27-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 08:47 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
[quote=AllisonHB;48977863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I never heard of a crown on a wisdom tooth. Most people have their wisdom teeth removed if they cause any trouble. /QUOTE]

I have all my wisdom teeth. Because my bite is off, they are important for chewing. Also because of this odd bite I went through a few years of tooth grinding/TMJ. The contact surfaces of 3 of the 4 wisdom teeth ended up quite worn. The dentist and I really discussed whether to crown them for protection, and decided to do it. No problems with any of them before or since.

Interesting that you said this because I was wondering if OP needed the wisdom tooth because of the structure of the bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health