Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Thank you for the replies.

Huh - The x-rays at the dentist. . . Standard for them to be taken once a year. They said they can't examine me if they don't take them. I've always had them once a year anyway and never had any problems. I like the post about going to Yelp and ask friends.

A lot of it is the personality and competence of the whole office, not just the dentist. And I've asked questions so I'm better informed. For example, I thought the only way the younger hygienist was taught to clean teach was that power washing. Nope. They learn the 'old' way, too but they always want to use the power scrub.

The last time I went in, she started in with the power cleaning. I said no. She stopped and changed. But I reminded her, it's on my chart. This is my regular hygienist. She did say she didn't read my chart. That last time I also waited over half an hour for the dentist to check my teeth. I was getting claustrophobic sitting in that small windowless room facing the wall.

I don't think I'm being picky. My husband said the dentist he uses can see me. He has the old adjustable chairs, overhead lights, and windows in the exam rooms.
I do not have x-rays yearly. I have good teeth and refuse dental x-rays except for every 4-5 years. Have a very close friend whose neurologist told her that even the small amount of exposure from dental x-rays has been attributed to brain tumors. I do sign a form at my dentist office stating that I refused the yearly x-ray.

I also won't let my kids get yearly x-rays. Every 4-5 years is plenty unless you have dental problems.

I think the next door suggestion is good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
I had two dentist offices tell me they'd refuse service if they can't do the yearly x-rays. I was also told the panoramic x-ray is done every 10 years. . . . Yet switching dentists they wouldn't contact my old one and went ahead and got a new one.

I asked about the radiation from dental x-rays and they said it's extremely small. I also asked why they have a heavy apron to put over someone if they don't use it. I'm going to look into getting a form to sign and waive those.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
This is about trust. The general public doesn't know what good dentistry is....they only know 2 things: did it hurt and does it look good? There are dentists on every corner these days so you have many 2nd and 3rd opinions available. The important thing is to find someone you trust. Getting recommendations from friends and family is great because they have done your "homework" for you.
Oh, I think John Q might have a clue that it's not good dentistry if it doesn't hold up and leaves a patient worse off for the experience.

I agree that asking neighbors, friends, family for local dentist recommendations is a great way to find a dentist, I've found a couple great dentists that way.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel as though I've had the best luck with dentists who were young and not too long out of dental school, who were trying to build a patient base, and who obviously took pride in doing a great job, and weren't just out to wring out as much money as possible from their patients.

Speaking of trust, I always think of the last dentist we went to when we lived in Miami. I was looking once more for a dentist, as ours had retired. There was a dental office next to the dance studio my daughter attended at the time, and I asked around for references for this dentist. I got some good feedback about him, he'd been there a long time and it seemed people liked him. Well, when I called the office, I was informed that he had retired and sold his practice to a new young dentist just out of dental school. With that news I thought, well, new young dentist and I'll take a chance. As I waited in the waiting room for my first appointment, I could hear the dentist talking to his patient as he worked on the guy and after he was finished. Turns out this patient was the retired dentist who had sold his practice to the new guy. I thought, wow, I don't think I can beat that for a good recommendation, commendation and whatever accolades apply, for an experienced dentist who'd been in practice for eons to have enough trust and confidence in the new dentist to go to him for his own dental work.

Over the years I saw the retired dentist a number of times there during my dental visits, seemed his confidence in the new dentist remained high. And as it turned out, it seemed that confidence was well placed, we liked him very much too.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:14 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I do not have x-rays yearly. I have good teeth and refuse dental x-rays except for every 4-5 years. Have a very close friend whose neurologist told her that even the small amount of exposure from dental x-rays has been attributed to brain tumors. You and your very close friend and your very close friend's neurologist all need to read a physics book. You get more DAILY radiation from the sun than you do from a full (18-20 images) series of digital dental x-rays. I do sign a form at my dentist office stating that I refused the yearly x-ray. Your dentist needs a course in malpractice if he/she thinks this will hold up in court if you develop an oral tumor and lose half your jaw, and they find that early detection could have prevented it.

I also won't let my kids get yearly x-rays. Every 4-5 years is plenty unless you have dental problems.
The American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry disagrees with you. This can also be construed as a form of neglect in the eyes of the law. I feel sorry for your children. I see parents with your same mindset occasionally and 100% of the time the kids end up needing extensive work that could have easily been prevented. I honestly don't care if the parent's mouth is a disaster, but it breaks my heart and burns me up to see the kids have to deal with this crap because of mom or dad's beliefs. Just like the parents who won't vaccinate their kids because they think it causes Autism.

I think the next door suggestion is good one. Unless you are the one who is on next door. You are giving seriously dangerous recommendations with no scientific backing of your claims.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM

In reference to bart0323 -

Maybe you are one of the dentists that requires yearly x-rays?

You can do your own research about the relationship between dental x-rays and brain tumors. The data is available - even on the internet.

My dentist even agreed with me that yearly x-rays are not necessary unless you have dental issues. If I had a dentist that required them I would get a new dentist.

I vaccinate my kids because the research shows it is necessary.

Maybe you should do some research. Check out the American Dental Association. They don't even recommend yearly x-rays unless you have dental issues!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Maybe you are one of the dentists that requires yearly x-rays?
You can do your own research about the relationship between dental x-rays and brain tumors. The data is available - even on the internet.
My dentist even agreed with me that yearly x-rays are not necessary unless you have dental issues. If I had a dentist that required them I would get a new dentist.
I vaccinate my kids because the research shows it is necessary.
Maybe you should do some research. Check out the American Dental Association. They don't even recommend yearly x-rays unless you have dental issues!
I can't say that x-rays need to be annual, but there are reasons to have them periodically. Dentists can't visually determine everything about your teeth without x-rays and just because you've never had dental issues doesn't give you some kind of immunity from them in the future. With kids I've been told x-rays are needed to monitor the growth of permanent teeth.

I don't think panoramic x-rays are very useful, I've asked dentists why I need them and have never gotten a good answer.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
I do not have x-rays yearly. I have good teeth and refuse dental x-rays except for every 4-5 years. Have a very close friend whose neurologist told her that even the small amount of exposure from dental x-rays has been attributed to brain tumors. I do sign a form at my dentist office stating that I refused the yearly x-ray.

I think the next door suggestion is good one.
Good for you for THINKING and acting on this issue. I went thru xrays all my life, each time "they" told me go to the xray room. Then about 5 yrs or more ago, I started to refuse them and haven't had one for many years....one dentist had me sign a waiver and the one just cleaned my teeth no waiver. They do whatever they wish to do. There are a lot of good decent dentists out there, and I lean toward the ones who have been established for a lot of years and not building their patient base. Just my 2cents.

As for the ADA and AMA, I'm sure they are happy campers that everyone doesn't think as I do, finally in my later years of life.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:

Maybe you are one of the dentists that requires yearly x-rays? Yearly? No. I require x-rays based on the ADA guidelines. You said you and your children only need them every 4-5 years. Show me where the ADA or AAPD says that x-rays only every 4-5 years are sufficient.

You can do your own research about the relationship between dental x-rays and brain tumors. The data is available - even on the internet. I'm not saying the data doesn't exist. I know it does because I've read it - have you? The "studies" that show the supposed link were extremely poor and questionable. They basically took a group of people with existing brain tumors, asked them if they every had a dental x-ray before, and then based on that just decided to tell the world that dental x-rays may cause brain tumors. That's like me saying the rock in my yard keeps tigers away because I've never seen a tiger on my street.

However, you and your friend and your friend's neurologist need to examine the data IN CONTEXT. You are concerned with radiation from dental x-rays, when in reality you are getting exposed to FAR more radiation on a daily basis from other sources (sun, microwaves, airplanes. etc) yet you are worried about the minute amount from dental x-rays. In other words, you are worried about picking out curtains while the house is on fire.

My dentist even agreed with me that yearly x-rays are not necessary unless you have dental issues. Again, YEARLY is not required for everyone, but if your dentist agrees that 4-5 years is sufficient then he/she is practicing below the standard of care. If they don't give a crap about respecting the national regulations, you really think they give a crap about your health? If I had a dentist that required them I would get a new dentist. Believe me, the dentist does not want to fight with you over x-rays either. Most dentists don't want to risk their license and will be glad to show you the door.

I vaccinate my kids because the research shows it is necessary. Excellent. Do some research on caries, periodontitis, and radiation physics while you are it.

Maybe you should do some research. Check out the American Dental Association. They don't even recommend yearly x-rays unless you have dental issues! I have read the ADA guidelines on x-rays ad nauseum. I have them memorized. The recommended frequency for posterior bitewing radiographs for children is 6-36 month intervals depending on the child's dental development or risk factors. Read your own post again. You said that x-rays every 4-5 years (48-60 months) are good enough for you and your children. I challenge you or your dentist to show me anywhere in the ADA guidelines where it says that.

I realize that 99% of what I am saying will fall on deaf ears. Why? Because contrary to what you have written, your belief about dental x-rays, their associated radiation effects, and their necessity is based on emotion, not science, and no amount of scientific research I present will change your emotionally-based belief. Hopefully, though, what I have written will help some other parents so that their children will not have to undergo painful and expensive dental treatment that otherwise could have been prevented.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Bart,

Wow. Sorry that this subject is such a sore one for you. You could have just agreed in your first reply that YEARLY x-rays are not always necessary.

I never said my dentist agrees that x-rays every 4-5 years is sufficient and I never said I only NEED them every 4-5 years. I said that is my choice due to my good dental health.

Please read my comments before you reply.

Have a good day!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:58 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Bart,

Wow. Sorry that this subject is such a sore one for you. You could have just agreed in your first reply that YEARLY x-rays are not always necessary.

I never said my dentist agrees that x-rays every 4-5 years is sufficient and I never said I only NEED them every 4-5 years. I said that is my choice due to my good dental health.

Please read my comments before you reply.

Have a good day!
I don't think this was a sore subject for Bart, but I'm sure he is speaking out of frustration because he is a dentist that comes on here and freely gives sound advice based on validated research, but this place is full of conspiracy theorists, armchair dentists, and other emotionally unstable self-ordained experts who are not interested in hearing the correct answers to the questions posed. 'Murica ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health