Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

First be sure on the type of crown you are getting, there are different types. My dentist offered a discount if I paid cash, and that was on one, so check around to see if you can get that same deal, if you can swing that.

I would be hesitant to lay out that type of cash to find they do a crummy job. I just had two crowns done and one I job I like better than the other (different dentists, liked the first one but they had an office policy of always holding $75 against you next appt. which irritated me).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think it's fine to post those, could help others. This is the one I posted for LittleDolphin and "she" said no dentists in area.

Careington 500 Dental Plan

I have all the info from Carrington but never bought it. I have some older crowns but they are OK.
I wouldn't buy Carrington, the providers are all corporate dental clinics. They are the same dentists as the providers for Costco's $80 a year insurance. Most of them are crooks who are worse than used car salesman and have people trained not to let you leave the office without committing to several thousands of dollars in work Those crooked dentists make up stuff that you don't even need. I went to two of them who told me I desperately needed a $1,000 'deep cleaning'. I finally found a dentist who was not part of a corporation and he laughed and said that there was no way in the world I needed a 'deep cleaning'. My nephew went to one and he has never had a cavity in his life and they told him he needed 8 fillings and 4 crowns, he was smart enough to walk out and go to his mom's dentist who said his teeth were perfect and he didn't need anything more than a routine cleaning.

I'm not sure why there aren't laws to put these crooks out of business

Aspen Dental settles deceptive practices lawsuit - TheIndyChannel.com Indianapolis, IN

DentalWorks Chain Misdiagnosed for Money, Dentists Say | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

Senate Report Faults Children's Dental Chain for "Fundamentally Deceptive" Care | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

https://rampages.us/ghamary/2017/04/...ate-dentistry/

Patients, Pressure and Profits at Aspen Dental | Dollars and Dentists | FRONTLINE | PBS

There are dentists who read this forum and they can give you better advice than I can for avoiding these rip-off dentists, what I have found is that most of the time if the office name is the the name of the Dentist it's probably not part of a corporation. Just look out for names like "Smile Again" "Portland Modern Dental" "Aspen Dental" "Western Dental"

Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
First be sure on the type of crown you are getting, there are different types. My dentist offered a discount if I paid cash, and that was on one, so check around to see if you can get that same deal, if you can swing that.

I would be hesitant to lay out that type of cash to find they do a crummy job. I just had two crowns done and one I job I like better than the other (different dentists, liked the first one but they had an office policy of always holding $75 against you next appt. which irritated me).
I like the all ceramic crowns especially for front teeth, I have old porcelain over metal and now I can see a dark line at the top of the crown. Fortunately it's not visible when I smile but it still bugs me. My old dentist in Reno made the crowns right in his office on a 3D printer or something, while I waited. I loved it, no need to run around with a temporary crown for two weeks.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:04 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Good points. I think I'll do that, shop around some...and you're right, as these crowns are on back molars where I chew, I might need something more robust than all ceramic -- maybe gold? Maybe I can get the discount to try one crown before springing for three at once...that would be good.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Good points. I think I'll do that, shop around some...and you're right, as these crowns are on back molars where I chew, I might need something more robust than all ceramic -- maybe gold? Maybe I can get the discount to try one crown before springing for three at once...that would be good.
I clench my teeth and got some type of titanium (still tooth colored) something.... but it was pricey.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
If it were me, and you trust the dentist I would get all three at once, especially if they are all in the same quadrant in your mouth, that way you only have to get numbed once. And have a discussion with your dentist and tell him if you grind your teeth and see what they recommend. I have an upper canine with an all ceramic crown, I haven't had any problems with it and I love the appearance it's more natural and translucent than my older porcelain over metal crowns and another advantage is that with an all ceramic crown the dentist can see decay under the crown on an x-ray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health