Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:31 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,652,838 times

Advertisements

Would value your opinion on figuring this out..

My previous dentist retired so now have new dentist. Other than cleanings and check-ups, she's not done any procedures on my teeth. Last visit, after cleaning, the dentist told me I need three crowns. I don't doubt her. I have two very old, eroded amalgam fillings in my back upper molars that are eroding. And a cracked old crown. Same side. I think I grind my teeth during sleep on that side. Xrays show no need for root canals, thank goodness.

Anyhow, the dentist offered me a deal: if I pay for all three at once with cash or check, she will give me a 10% discount. At $1000 per crown, that's $300. Not a small amount of money.

Here's my concern -- what if I go for the deal and she does a poor job on the first crown and I've fronted all the money? She makes the crowns in-office. But as she's done no work on my teeth yet -- I don't know the caliber of her work. This concerns me.

I'd like to accept the discount, but don't want to "pay for a pig in the poke."

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
I would check around and I personally would not pay up front like that. Once they have your money, it's out of your life. I haven't had a crown for many yrs and $1000 a crown is that the going fee. Seems high but I'm rather out of the dental world.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Yes, $1000/crown w/o a root canal is the going rate in my community. If I go to another dentist, they will likely charge me for an exam and maybe new xrays..so more out-of-pocket for me.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM

I had smilesaver for years and then it changed and I changed and I was considering Carrington 500 and never went with them either. Here is their site and they are dental discounts, not insurance and send you a directory of dentists in their group. Many people review their dentists on yelp. Always good to get a referral.

Careington 500 Dental Plan

Now if money is no object, then it's up to the individual to save with the discount, but I'd still not pay that much upfront.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-23-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Thanks, but plans offer no providers w/i 30 miles of us...living in a small town has its drawbacks sometimes...

Old 08-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
That's about the price I have paid in the last few years. You can ask the dentist for references of other customers, but really, a bad dentist would not stay in business long, the way people are so anxious to sue these days. I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand sometimes a root canal is beyond the dentist's capability and they have to refer it to an endodontist. That happened to me when a 3rd root was hard to get out. That was an additional cost, so make sure anything like that that comes up is included.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Since my husband retired I had no dental insurance, so I bought two policies. One pays 25% of major work (like crowns) the other pays 30% with NO waiting period, so by using both policies I was able to save 55% on the dental work I just had done. You can cancel the policies at any time. I am going to keep them because next July each will pay 50% so I can get several old crowns replaced with no co-pay.

I would give the names of the companies I'm concerned that providing that info or a link might be construed as advertising.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since my husband retired I had no dental insurance, so I bought two policies. One pays 25% of major work (like crowns) the other pays 30% with NO waiting period, so by using both policies I was able to save 55% on the dental work I just had done. You can cancel the policies at any time. I am going to keep them because next July each will pay 50% so I can get several old crowns replaced with no co-pay.

I would give the names of the companies I'm concerned that providing that info or a link might be construed as advertising.
So you bought 2 policies and not 2 dental plans. I don't see it as advtg. I posted the dental plans I owned and one I considered.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:34 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So you bought 2 policies and not 2 dental plans. I don't see it as advtg. I posted the dental plans I owned and one I considered.
I bought 2 policies each one from a different company. (I hope you're right I hate getting suspended )
The two companies are Denali Dental and Spirit Dental. They are legit they just paid a very large claim that my dentist submitted. They are PPO's and you have to use one of their network dentists but there are excellent dentists in their network not just the corporate rip off places like Deltacare has on their provider list.

You can buy 3 levels of coverage: $1,500 $2,500 and $3,500. https://www.directbenefits.com/individuals-families That is a link to an agency/broker that sells these and other policies. If you call them they will explain everything to you, they are really easy to work with.

The reason I got insurance from them is that almost no insurance companies cover major work until your second year but both of these do. Denali pays 30% and Spirit pays 25% immediately after you buy the insurance. So by having both policies 55% of my billed charges were covered. If I keep them both until next year they will each pay 50% so I will have no copay.

I'm undecided about whether I will keep both, I have some 30 year old crowns that I would like to get replaced and if I keep this insurance I could probably get four of them replaced next year with no out of pocket expense.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 08-24-2017 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 07:02 PM

I think it's fine to post those, could help others. This is the one I posted for LittleDolphin and "she" said no dentists in area.

Careington 500 Dental Plan

I have all the info from Carrington but never bought it. I have some older crowns but they are OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health