Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Everyone has pockets, particularly as age begins to creep into things. Your hygienist can (and probably does) measure your pockets when you go in for a periodic cleaning and exam. If you are noticing gum loss, ask next time you are in the chair about whether you need referral to a periodontist. Periodontal disease is a little like emphysema in that letting it go on its own merry way is pretty much the worst thing you can do. Caught and treated early, it's something most people can easily learn to live with.
Probably a lot of truth of the aging and pockets showing up...I was first told about this condition in my mid 50's or so and now 79 and never deep scaling etc. and I am certain grape seed ex and coconut oil been so beneficial for me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:29 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Default Update from the OP...

Hi all. Went into the dentist today. Had some xrays. They said my gums looked good although there was some irritation coming from plaque near the teeth that I was feeling were somewhat sensitive. I scraped off some calcium buildup between my front two bottom teeth (where I was also concerned) and said to brush more liberally in the back to get all the plaque. Otherwise they said my teeth and gums looked pretty good.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Hi all. Went into the dentist today. Had some xrays. They said my gums looked good although there was some irritation coming from plaque near the teeth that I was feeling were somewhat sensitive. I scraped off some calcium buildup between my front two bottom teeth (where I was also concerned) and said to brush more liberally in the back to get all the plaque. Otherwise they said my teeth and gums looked pretty good.
That's great news! Didn't he recommend a professional cleaning to remove the plaque though? I'm wondering why you said you had to scrape it off yourself.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's great news! Didn't he recommend a professional cleaning to remove the plaque though? I'm wondering why you said you had to scrape it off yourself.
No, they scraped off the calcium buildup between two front teeth but since it wasn't a scheduled cleaning they didn't clear all the plaque from my teeth in the back. They said to be judicious about brushing back there and they'd see me in for a cleaning in a couple of months. If anything gets worse they said to come back.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM

271 posts, read 190,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP, I'm much older than MOST here. Back in 80's I lived in San Jose for 5 yrs and saw a dentist up there probably every year I was there. This one dentist told me I had deep "pockets" and I was in my 50's at those years. I never did anything and then in 1995 along came my introduction to grape seed ex and got on it and every dentist I saw back down here in LA NEVER mentioned pockets, the SJ dentist talked about "deep scaling" and coming in every 3 months blah blah blah.....grape seed ex did wonders for those "pockets"....

There are some great effective supplemental aids out there contrary to the mainstream push.

Not a bad idea to see the dentist as you mentioned and "hear" his/her recommendation.

For me, I've been bullied a lot by the naysayers and if I didn't have convictions I'd have run off months ago.
Just curious but would you send me a message or green message with the type you use? I'd like to order it from Ebay. Is it a liquid? thanks so much

Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCountyMtnBiker View Post
Just curious but would you send me a message or green message with the type you use? I'd like to order it from Ebay. Is it a liquid? thanks so much
Hi, I looked at the many brands on ebay. I've purchased this brand a lot but on iherb.com

Olympian Labs Grape Seed Extra Strength - 200 mg - 100 Capsules | eBay

A good dose is 200mg a day or 400mg in two doses in the beginning as a loading dose.

I buy capsules all the time and even buy from PipingRock as their product is pretty good quality and good prices.

Need to take enough for bodyweight and if on blood thinner drugs. Can't take both.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
You KNOW, so STOP them. My downfall when I think w a y b a c k were cokes/pepsi's and sugar foods and today the young are all addicted to those fancy high priced designer sugar coffees.. Just Stop.

Sugars are a dentist's best friend.

So you lived an unhealthy lifestyle and then stopped and started taking better care of yourself. This is why your dental health improved, not miracle oils and extracts.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
So you lived an unhealthy lifestyle and then stopped and started taking better care of yourself. This is why your dental health improved, not miracle oils and extracts.
I guess if you want to say that...I ate carbs (breads pastas cookies cakes etc for MOST of my life until probably the last 15 yrs or so. If the gum pockets, as I was told was due to that, then I'm guilty. And I do believe the antioxidants and coconut oil have been salvations. Perfect I wasn't and still am not in the foods depts. I'd say the major % of americans are pretty awful eaters.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 PM

271 posts, read 190,895 times
Quote:
Hi, I looked at the many brands on ebay. I've purchased this brand a lot but on iherb.com

Olympian Labs Grape Seed Extra Strength - 200 mg - 100 Capsules | eBay

A good dose is 200mg a day or 400mg in two doses in the beginning as a loading dose.

I buy capsules all the time and even buy from PipingRock as their product is pretty good quality and good prices.

Need to take enough for bodyweight and if on blood thinner drugs. Can't take both.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health