U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 AM

946 posts, read 881,548 times

Advertisements

Recently I've felt like my gums are receding... or rather they have been but I'm just now noticing that it's become more significant (teeth look more exposed on the bottom and a couple of them a little sensitive). I've done some oil pulling with coconut oil in the past and I've restarted doing it twice a day. I'm also flossing and brushing after every meal now but has anyone done anything else or had experience with this? I really want to try and grow back my gum tissue. I'll obviously bring it up at my next dentist appointment but I'm wondering if what I'm doing now will be good in the short term or if there's anything else I can do.... thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 AM

38,073 posts, read 17,913,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Recently I've felt like my gums are receding... or rather they have been but I'm just now noticing that it's become more significant (teeth look more exposed on the bottom and a couple of them a little sensitive). I've done some oil pulling with coconut oil in the past and I've restarted doing it twice a day. I'm also flossing and brushing after every meal now but has anyone done anything else or had experience with this? I really want to try and grow back my gum tissue. I'll obviously bring it up at my next dentist appointment but I'm wondering if what I'm doing now will be good in the short term or if there's anything else I can do.... thoughts?
I would go to my dentist now rather than waiting, if you have gum disease you aren't going to grow your gums back with oil pulling

Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 PM

615 posts, read 611,921 times
Quote:
Your gum tissue will never grow back on its own. The only way to get it back over the exposed surfaces of the teeth (root coverage) is with a gum graft, and if you have bone loss/periodontitis the chances of getting 100% root coverage is slim to none.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:56 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,575,538 times
Quote:
I'm 79 and my gums are "tight" and very healthy and use coconut oil toothpaste that I make up. And have been taking Grape seed ex for decades. I never smoked.

Red wine kills gum disease bacteria, but grape seed is the real star

I drank wine for years but hardly touch it anymore. I can't say too much about grape seed extract.

j

Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM

38,810 posts, read 24,467,676 times
You are going to be losing bone, you shouldn't mess around with this. I have a prescription mouthwash that greatly increased the health of my gums.

Some people are just prone to this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 AM

350 posts, read 314,866 times
Quote:

Try taking COQ10 before going to the dentist. See if it has an effect. Also, here is an interesting link:

https://glenviewsmiles.com/patient-e...nd-prevention/

Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 AM

20,984 posts, read 18,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Your gum tissue will never grow back on its own. The only way to get it back over the exposed surfaces of the teeth (root coverage) is with a gum graft
Having had one of these, I would rank the discomfort on the level of childbirth. Never again.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM

615 posts, read 611,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Having had one of these, I would rank the discomfort on the level of childbirth. Never again.
Everyone is different. I performed three gum grafts this week. None of the patients had any discomfort during the procedure and when I did my post-op calls to the patients that evening they all said they were doing fine and managing any discomfort with over-the-counter medication.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 AM

41,176 posts, read 50,967,054 times
Quote:
We feel like our waterpik helps us have very healthy gums. The pulsing of the water invigorates the blood supply to the gums, as well as cleaning between the teeth better than flossing. Of course, check with your dentist.

Dh and I both get high marks from the dentist for flossing, but we really never do.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 AM

946 posts, read 881,548 times
I did schedule an appointment with my dentist for a couple weeks out so he can check out my gums. I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol but I do drink coffee (a cup or two usually in the morning). That said I've become religious about flossing and brushing after every meal as well as doing at least 15-20 minutes of oil pulling. Hopefully I can get this figured out. I don't feel like my gums are unhealthy per se, they look ok to me, they just look like they're beginning to recede and I'm concerned because I have a molar that's beginning to feel a tad loose (I think this is from deep flossing and there being a pocket between it and the tooth next to it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health