Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:22 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times

Advertisements

I have had two, in each case it was done in one appointment. No significant pain but when they open up where the dead nerve is, IT STINKS! like sh*t. Just be forewarned.

They always recommend you get a crown afterwards. The first one, I did not get a crown til about 25 years later, never had a problem. The second one, I still do not have a crown on it. I take it easy on my teeth and do not crack nuts with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I had a filling fall out and it became infected before I could get it filled. After a couple rounds of antibiotics (and a new filling, of course), I was still in pain. Root canal for me. That was earlier this year. I am a total wimp and I have bad anxiety when it comes to anything remotely medical. (The dentist and a regular filling does not bother me, but even having blood drawn does.) My dentist gave me a prescription (Halcion) to put me out for the root canal. I had no issues. Couldn't feel it. Practically slept through it. I could have worked the same day, after the drugs wore off, anyway.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Did the OP have the procedure yet?

I just had a root canal - FUN. It was a two parter - very deep and very bad infection. YMMV. My other root canal was not like that. This tooth, and its cousin on the other side, have given me problems for years. I knew it was a matter of time before it went bad.

Pain wise - it is more the soreness of the needles going into my flesh and keeping my jaw open for an hour. There is an ache too that is hard to describe. Overall it is not so bad IMO - as long as you don't have infection pain.

A root canal is an attempt to save a tooth. It can't always be saved. I'm not sure how this one will go. I mean, I spent $1800 trying to save it (before the crown costs) so no biggie, eh?

The problem I am having, is, antibiotics for three weeks now and the pain comes on again. He doubled the dose, we will see how it goes. I am being very compliant this time, even waking up middle of night to take the timed dose. I had surgery in the middle of all this and the general anesthisa made me kind of loopy and I don't remember if I took the doses as I should, so I might have messed up.

I hope the OP comes back and reports.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:29 PM

384 posts, read 376,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have had two, in each case it was done in one appointment. No significant pain but when they open up where the dead nerve is, IT STINKS! like sh*t. Just be forewarned.

They always recommend you get a crown afterwards. The first one, I did not get a crown til about 25 years later, never had a problem. The second one, I still do not have a crown on it. I take it easy on my teeth and do not crack nuts with them.

This is good to hear , I had a root canal 2 years ago and never had it crowned yet . I too ,am easy on that tooth.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:09 AM

472 posts, read 438,559 times
Thanks for all of your input so far. I still have not scheduled let alone had the root canal.

I did talk to the new dentist and he said that it would take one visit of 90 minutes to two hours in length, that I would be able to eat/drink cold later that day but would have to avoid using a straw for a while, that my other teeth would be a little more cold sensitive than normal (which I didn't understand why), and that he doesn't usually see much bleeding with the procedure but given my heart condition, he wanted me to have my INR checked prior to having it done (which is what I was waiting for, having gone just to have it checked the end of last week). He also said that since cold sensitivity is the main symptom I'm experiencing and there is no sign of inflammation/infection in the gums or teeth, that it isn't a situation where I would have to rush to have it done.

As a result, I am back to questioning whether I should do it: Would you have it done as a way to end the cold sensitivity/precautionary measure against possible future symptoms or not?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
I've never had a root canal before and am nervous about the pain during and after the procedure as well as possible infection afterwards if it isn't done properly. Some of what I've read said that the pain isn't really any worse than a normal filling whereas others say it's noticeably worse. The dentist advised RT because a tooth in the top back left is really sensitive to cold to the point where it hurts when it comes in contact with cold food (i.e. ice cream) and drink.

Complicating matters is that I have a mechanical heart valve and take Warfarin for it. How much bleeding is usually present with Root Canals? Am I better off not having one done because of the infection risk related to my heart? I take Clindamyacin before dental appointments specifically for this reason.

Any input would be appreciated.
If you're having lingering pain to cold then a root canal is indicated.

Usually warfarin dosage does not have to be modified when doing root canal therapy. Although there is bleeding during the procedure it's relatively minimal.

A mechanical valve increases the likelihood of bacteremia which is why prophylactic antibiotics are being prescribed. Is it really doing anything? Beats me, but the AHA and AAOMS are recommending it so that's what we go by.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
How many appointments for a root canal? Will I be able to return to work the next day?
Depends on the complexity of the tooth and patient. Some root canals area super easy, some are unbelievably hard. Easy to medium ones are usually done in one visit. Hard ones take longer so usually are done in 2 visits. If the tooth is very infected we do it in two as well. Post-op pain is usually "medium"--enough to need an ibuprofen but not enough to need narcotic pain medications. Occasionally it's severe and occasionally there's no pain at all. Most people are able to go back to work immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health