Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

When I was in the dental world I went once a year for cleaning. How so many get hooked into going more often...take care of your dental hygeine and YES eliminate a lot of foods that cause major issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's a little dramatic. Teeth scaling every 3 months?

I assume that poster was referring to periodontal scaling every 3 months, which would only be done for someone who has periodontal disease and is undergoing special periodontal treatment with root planing and scaling 3-4 times a year. "Scaling" is not the same as a regular cleaning, which is usually done once a year unless there are periodontal problems.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Wonder how OP is doing still avoiding the dentist? I'm probably at about the 8 yr mark with what I do and am good, no dental issues thanks to antioxidants and the toothpaste I make and cutting BACK or eliminating a lot of refined sugars/carbs.

How do you know your teeth are good? Do you take x-rays of your teeth at home so you can see the tooth structure to diagnose decay, and check your bone level for disease? Do you measure your gingival pockets at home to see how deep they are?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
How do you know your teeth are good? Do you take x-rays of your teeth at home so you can see the tooth structure to diagnose decay, and check your bone level for disease? Do you measure your gingival pockets at home to see how deep they are?
I have no pain and no issues, that's how I know. And I've posted a lot of my history already on from 1980's to now and I'm good.

It's amazing how some just don't want to buy into people taking care of themselves. And if everyone did what I do and take what I do, the dentists of the world would not be very happy campers.

I know what dental pain is like, I've been there years ago.

One can check in with dentists/doctors and they will find something for them to go after. I say if it ain't broke, what is there to fix. And I can honestly say my breath at 80 is the freshest it's ever been, I've changed so many foods that I use to eat and do not anymore. And the CO.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-17-2018 at 06:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have no pain and no issues, that's how I know. And I've posted a lot of my history already on from 1980's to now and I'm good.

It's amazing how some just don't want to buy into people taking care of themselves. And if everyone did what I do and take what I do, the dentists of the world would not be very happy campers.

I know what dental pain is like, I've been there years ago.

One can check in with dentists/doctors and they will find something for them to go after. I say if it ain't broke, what is there to fix. And I can honestly say my breath at 80 is the freshest it's ever been, I've changed so many foods that I use to eat and do not anymore. And the CO.

Lack of pain is not an indicator of good dental health--you don't feel pain until the decay gets deeper and near the nerve, and you don't feel pain when your bone level drops.

Once a tooth dies from decay, you may not feel pain in it anymore, but that doesn't mean the tooth is "good" --it means it's dead.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Lack of pain is not an indicator of good dental health--you don't feel pain until the decay gets deeper and near the nerve, and you don't feel pain when your bone level drops.

Once a tooth dies from decay, you may not feel pain in it anymore, but that doesn't mean the tooth is "good" --it means it's dead.
Exactly! And the one of the reasons that dentists do X-rays is to catch decay as early as possible, so that if you do have a cavity and need a filling, it will be a small one. You don't want to wait until you feel pain or know that you have issues before seeing a dentist. People who do that are just asking for trouble.

Despite what some people choose to believe, most dentists and doctors are not out there trying to scam people. Are some of them unethical and scammers? Yes. But most of them are good people who are trying to do their best to help people.

It's the same with other health issues - you shouldn't wait until you feel pain or have obvious symptoms of certain illnesses before seeing a doctor. Prevention and early detection is key. Many people decide not to have a mammogram or a colonoscopy because they feel good and have no pain. If you wait until you feel a lump in your breast before going to see a doctor, it's probably not going to be an easy fix, unless it's just a benign issue. If you have a malignancy - you could have caught it early. If you follow the recommendation and get mammograms on a regular basis, the need for a mastectomy - chemo - radiation or whatever, might have been prevented.

You can have stage 4 lung cancer and not even know it until one day you are walking along, minding your business, and fall due to a broken bone secondary to a metastatic spread of the disease.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Just fyi- Op is no longer a member and hasn't posted since 2017.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:26 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,402 times
I wouldn't worry about a browbeating from the Dentist. From my experience, dentists have learned that shaming patients, particularly adults, only drives them away to other dentists. Now, the hygienist? You may get some lecturing, but still nothing bad, rude or over the top.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM

629 posts, read 933,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I wouldn't worry about a browbeating from the Dentist. From my experience, dentists have learned that shaming patients, particularly adults, only drives them away to other dentists. Now, the hygienist? You may get some lecturing, but still nothing bad, rude or over the top.
One important point to remember - in this day and age, everything is considered "shaming", even if said politely or respectfully. Some people don't want to hear anything negative about their health (usually they are embarrassed or in denial), so they will always take it as an insult no matter what and then blast you on the internet about how you humiliated them, yada yada yada. I know physicians who no longer tell their obese patients with cholesterol levels that would kill a horse that they should lose weight and exercise more, for fear of bad Google reviews and "body/fat shaming". It is truly pathetic what things have come to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health