Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM

74 posts, read 129,146 times

Advertisements

All my teeth seem fine accept a few molars that got a little work eating candy a decade ago. My wisdom teeth are in too. I'm thinking about going in but am worried about getting raked over the coals financially. Is it unusual to go without seeing a dentist so long and not have problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
All my teeth seem fine accept a few molars that got a little work eating candy a decade ago. My wisdom teeth are in too. I'm thinking about going in but am worried about getting raked over the coals financially. Is it unusual to go without seeing a dentist so long and not have problems?
I say good for you, do you have any issues to go to a dentist now. You are doing something right to not go that long. I went for years because I had a lot of pain and misery. What is your secret? Do you stay away from a lot of carbs and sugars?

I don't go now because I take care of my teeth and gums etc with what I do...

This reminds me of the time when I asked one of our bridge friends about her dentist. who she goes to and she told me but said she had not gone in a long time. Her teeth were so good for a lady of about 80.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
There is only one way to find out what problems you may have with your teeth. If you can find a good dentist (ask for recommendations locally from your family, friends, neighbors) he/she will evaluate your dental health, let you know what's going on, tell you your options and go from there. This will likely involve cleaning and dental x-rays initially, so they have a good picture of your teeth, gums, etc. It's been my experience that if there is a great deal of dental work needed, they will work with you financially so you can afford it.

The thing is (and I know you know this), if those molars you mention have cavities, or are cracked, etc. or you have other problems you don't know about, letting them go will just make it all worse over time-that's when you end up needing the more expensive dental work like root canals, crowns, bridges, and so on. Ask me how I know that.

Anyway, good luck.!

Old 10-30-2017, 01:29 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Some people are blessed with strong solid teeth, others are not. I have tough teeth....one dentist commented that he hoped he never had to pull one as they are "tough as pig iron". They resist decay whether I am religious about flossing, brushing after meals or not. But that's only one aspect of dental health. Those tough teeth of mine are crowded and my bite isn't great. While I don't tend to have cavities, have never lost a tooth or had any pulled (even wisdom teeth) I have had miserable sessions with TMJ, an overbite, all sorts of pain and issues with uneven wear, etc. Home made toothpaste and supplements won't change the structure of my jaw. Checking in with a dentist has helped keep those things manageable.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-30-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 02:01 PM

On the tough teeth, the lady I mentioned above who had not seen a dentist in a lot of years and her teeth looked so strong, some of the teeth were crowded and she never did anything in her life to change that..they were not perfect looking, but strong looking and healthy looking.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Is it unusual to go without seeing a dentist so long and not have problems?
Not unusual. But if you prefer to wait until you have tooth pain, you certainly can do that. Waiting until you have pain will likely result in a more expensive visit for repairs, but that's your choice.

It's a gamble.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
There's no way to avoid the browbeating you'll get from the dentist.. But.. Age is a big factor. I didn't go to the dentist for about 15 years.. From about 16 to 30. Then that exploding molar kinda sent me in.

You'll possibly have several fillings that need to be done, and of course will go through a full x-ray panel to identify those issues. Depends on how well you take care of things. I was.. Not exactly the most religious about brushing twice a day. Even once sometimes.

Dental health is too often overlooked. Keep on top of it.. It'll be far cheaper.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:10 PM

I would not accept a browbeating from a dentist...going to the dentist is our choice not theirs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That goes with so much in life. I think anyway.

If one can take care of their own health, more power to them.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There's no way to avoid the browbeating you'll get from the dentist.. But.. Age is a big factor. I didn't go to the dentist for about 15 years.. From about 16 to 30. Then that exploding molar kinda sent me in.

You'll possibly have several fillings that need to be done, and of course will go through a full x-ray panel to identify those issues. Depends on how well you take care of things. I was.. Not exactly the most religious about brushing twice a day. Even once sometimes.

Dental health is too often overlooked. Keep on top of it.. It'll be far cheaper.

Neither I, nor any member of my family who has visited a dentist after years of not going have ever been "browbeaten", or even had any negative comments addressed towards them by the dentist they finally went and saw. I'm sure most dentists (and their employees ) realize that there is no point in talking to a patient that way, it won't change the condition of their teeth, and such negativity might well drive a patient away.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:01 AM

74 posts, read 129,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I say good for you, do you have any issues to go to a dentist now. You are doing something right to not go that long. I went for years because I had a lot of pain and misery. What is your secret? Do you stay away from a lot of carbs and sugars?

I don't go now because I take care of my teeth and gums etc with what I do...

This reminds me of the time when I asked one of our bridge friends about her dentist. who she goes to and she told me but said she had not gone in a long time. Her teeth were so good for a lady of about 80.
I do drink a lot of apple juice every day. I would say the secret though is to know a lot of stress relief techniques. It's stress that causes people to have bruxism and other dental issues. I normally don't eat candy though, maybe a piece of pie sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health