Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:45 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe it's just my cheap, battery-operated choice, but the vibration is such that it's literally "teeth-rattling." I can honestly see fillings loosening and falling out. It's possible I'm pressing too hard (had that problem with the manual, too). Still, I'm not inclined to spend $100 on a toothbrush.
I started using a power brush about 5 years ago and love it (yep, the $100 one, but after reading about how long the battery packs and the electronics last without problems I chose it). The hygienist who suggested it warned me that at first the vibration would feel quite odd, gums might be sensitive or even ache slightly. You get used to it quickly. Its like a daily gum massage. As long as you are not crushing the brush onto your teeth its OK. Actually the ultrasonic vibration is part of why they clean so well without much force....it helps dislodge stuff under the rim of the gum where the actual bristle can't touch.

Geez, I sound like the silly ads...but I do like the thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 09:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I'm using a lighter touch, although I'm still not sure I'm using it correctly; I do move it around quite a bit just to ensure I'm hitting all the surfaces, nooks, and crannies. Definitely gets my teeth a lot cleaner than a manual brush; it's just like leaving the dentist's office after a professional cleaning every time. I'm generally anti-technology, but am sold on this "convenience"...

Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
I've been thinking of getting a battery-powered toothbrush lately, the Oral-B. It seems that these days I just can't get the "in-between" parts of my teeth clean. I try to maneuver my brush every which way, and do the 45-degree angle AND the circular motion on all of them, but my hand just won't do some maneuvers (fibromyalgia) and I'm just not getting everything clean.

My hygienist said not to get the Oral-B, but they also sell those ultrasonic ones in the office, so I dunno.....

Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Otter, perhaps you should spend some time on Youtube watching videos about brushing teeth, still doesn't sound like you're really being as efficient/effective as you could be. It's one of those things where you're spending the effort already, so why not get the most bang for your buck by being as efficient as possible with some knowledge.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I've been thinking of getting a battery-powered toothbrush lately, the Oral-B. It seems that these days I just can't get the "in-between" parts of my teeth clean. I try to maneuver my brush every which way, and do the 45-degree angle AND the circular motion on all of them, but my hand just won't do some maneuvers (fibromyalgia) and I'm just not getting everything clean.

My hygienist said not to get the Oral-B, but they also sell those ultrasonic ones in the office, so I dunno.....
Mine is the Arm and Hammer Spinbrush, bought because it was the cheapest available, and I figured I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like/use it, but it gets good reviews, so... Replacement heads available.

Good idea to watch a YouTube on using a battery-operated toothbrush; who knew there were such things?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I used to use the Oral-B, which is a great brush, however I prefer manual toothbrushes - I use a combo of a soft natural bristle and a small "end tuft" brush. I don't see how the electric brushes would harm your teeth, but you could maybe injure your gums if you do it incorrectly.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I used to use the Oral-B, which is a great brush, however I prefer manual toothbrushes - I use a combo of a soft natural bristle and a small "end tuft" brush. I don't see how the electric brushes would harm your teeth, but you could maybe injure your gums if you do it incorrectly.
Some articles suggest that they wear away the enamel (prematurely), as well as result in receding gums.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
I’ve used them but like the gentleness of a regular brush. Granted, you get used to the vibrating after a few weeks. I could see electric brushes perhaps wearing away the enamel more over the course of 20+ years. I also avoid whitening toothpastes which are usually somewhat abrasive.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 PM

I might alternate with a manual, although I tend to brush too hard with that and probably do as much harm as a power brush would. They say you really only have to remove the plaque once every 24 hours.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I used to have a Sonicare brush. If I used that thing too often, some of my teeth would hurt a lot and get very sensitive. Got rid of it and my teeth are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health