Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 AM

222 posts, read 194,699 times

Advertisements

Hello is there any idental plans in Illinois that do not have waiting periods? I called BCBS and Aetna and they have a six month and year wait before you can get dental surgery like anything more than routine work had waiting period. I was hoping today on last day to find something without waiting period I need work done soon including small bone graft and extraction of tooth pieces. Would like a little help financially from dental insurance. I have not had dental insurance in awhile do they all have wait periods now ?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 AM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Most personal insurance policies have waiting periods. You need to pay them a certain amount before they start writing checks on your behalf. They don't want people signing up, getting work the next day, then dropping the policy the day after that. They would lose money, which is more important to them than you getting the care you need.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Both blue Cross and Aetna both had maximums of 1200 dollars are most dental insurance plans like that . So if you need dental surgery you should just plan on paying most of it ? Seems like dental insurance is kind of like vision.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:04 PM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
Both blue Cross and Aetna both had maximums of 1200 dollars are most dental insurance plans like that . So if you need dental surgery you should just plan on paying most of it ? Seems like dental insurance is kind of like vision.
Most plans have annual maxes of $1000-2000. If it is a PPO plan than it will usually have a tiered system coverage, such as 100% coverage for preventative services (exams, cleanings, x-rays), 80% for basic (fillings, scaling, simple extractions), and 50% for major (crowns, bridges, implants, dentures). These are not set rules and vary widely depending on the carrier and the plan. Check with your insurance company for specifics as well as limitations.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Most plans have annual maxes of $1000-2000. If it is a PPO plan than it will usually have a tiered system coverage, such as 100% coverage for preventative services (exams, cleanings, x-rays), 80% for basic (fillings, scaling, simple extractions), and 50% for major (crowns, bridges, implants, dentures). These are not set rules and vary widely depending on the carrier and the plan. Check with your insurance company for specifics as well as limitations.
Thank you well BCBS did not seem that great Cigna seemed better and they said you did not have to get it by the deadline so I have until the end of month to look for dental it seems.

I guess a maximum is better than nothing just in situation. Where may need bone graft so if dental insurance on average pays 50 percent fir a major procedure and 1200 maximum it looks like you would get 600 dollars for a procedure that can cost on average 3000 dollars I am not complaining but that is more like a discount than insurance that is why I compared to vision insurance because in the end it is more like a discount .

Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Dental insurance SUCKS. There really aren't any good ones out there that pay very much. You might do better joining a dental discount plan, otherwise you pay the higher costs out of pocket. Just make sure YOUR dentist takes whatever one you get. They are maybe $125 a year, but can save you a bunch of money. https://www.dentalcareadvantage.com/find-a-dental-discount-program

or

https://www.aetna.com/insurance-prod...t-program.html

Old 12-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Dental insurance SUCKS. There really aren't any good ones out there that pay very much. You might do better joining a dental discount plan, otherwise you pay the higher costs out of pocket. Just make sure YOUR dentist takes whatever one you get. They are maybe $125 a year, but can save you a bunch of money. https://www.dentalcareadvantage.com/find-a-dental-discount-program

or

https://www.aetna.com/insurance-prod...t-program.html

Thank you will take a look

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I have two Dental insurance policies, they cover major work from day 1. One of them pays 25% the other pays 30% for a total of 55%. They are PPO's but there are a number of good dentists who accept the plans in my area. Each policy covers $3500 a year. They coordinate benefits so you can use both for the same service. It's not cheap, both policies combined costs me $130 a month, but I had a lot of expensive work done so this year so it was a bargain. One of them goes from 25% to 50% at the end of the calendar year, so in January both policies combined will cover 80%. the other policy won't go to 50% until July 2018 (my one year policy anniversary) I have a bunch more work to be done and after that I will cancel one of the policies. I don't think they offer the $3500 coverage in all areas, you'd have to check your zip code.

Spirit Dental

Denali Dental

Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have two Dental insurance policies, they cover major work from day 1. One of them pays 25% the other pays 30% for a total of 55%. They are PPO's but there are a number of good dentists who accept the plans in my area. Each policy covers $3500 a year. They coordinate benefits so you can use both for the same service. It's not cheap, both policies combined costs me $130 a month, but I had a lot of expensive work done so this year so it was a bargain. One of them goes from 25% to 50% at the end of the calendar year, so in January both policies combined will cover 80%. the other policy won't go to 50% until July 2018 (my one year policy anniversary) I have a bunch more work to be done and after that I will cancel one of the policies. I don't think they offer the $3500 coverage in all areas, you'd have to check your zip code.

Spirit Dental

Denali Dental
Are those personal dental plans or are they through your employer?. I haven't looked at dental plans for a while, but did a while back and got the impression that personal individual dental plans had lower limits and involved significant waiting periods for dental procedures, compared to those of employer-sponsored dental plans.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Are those personal dental plans or are they through your employer?. I haven't looked at dental plans for a while, but did a while back and got the impression that personal individual dental plans had lower limits and involved significant waiting periods for dental procedures, compared to those of employer-sponsored dental plans.
They are personal plans, I'm retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health