Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

I'm getting to the point where I will have to make some decisions about implants vs partials or complete dentures soon.

Like a lot of people, I would really prefer implants but the prices I've seen seem just astronomical and unrealistic, not only for me but for many people.

$40k for a full set of implants is just not going to happen.

Is this a technology that will see significant drop in prices in any realistic time frame, or is it likely to remain out of reach for all but the rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
A friend of mine travels to Costa Rico for extensive dental work and saves a bundle even when you include the cost of travel and lodging. He's says the dental work is world class. I believe Costa Rico has this dental reputation. Example

Dental Implants in Costa Rica | All-In-One Dental Implants Center

Old 01-19-2018, 04:08 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm getting to the point where I will have to make some decisions about implants vs partials or complete dentures soon.

Like a lot of people, I would really prefer implants but the prices I've seen seem just astronomical and unrealistic, not only for me but for many people.

$40k for a full set of implants is just not going to happen.

Is this a technology that will see significant drop in prices in any realistic time frame, or is it likely to remain out of reach for all but the rich?
$40,000 for a full set of implants? Are you talking about implanting an entire mouthful of individual teeth? Or implant dentures?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:14 AM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
This may not necessarily be the OPs situation, but I find it funny how millions of Americans pay $40K+ for a new car that they only plan to keep for 5-7 years without blinking an eye, but balk at the idea of paying the same amount to replace body parts that will last for decades.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:14 PM

608 posts, read 516,379 times
I recommend Costa Rica for dental work also. It's been about six years now since I had major work done there. Two implants, periodontal surgery in four quadrants, bone grafts, and various crowns and bridges. I don't recall the exact price for it all because it was done in two trips over six months. The cost including air fare and hotel stays and other expenses was far less than the quote I got here. Like 50% or less. They did excellent work and I have had no issues since the work was done. I just had heart surgery to replace a valve this last November and I had to have a dental exam to make sure there was no infection in my mouth. I asked the dentist what he thought of the work I had done and he said it looked very good. He didn't seem too excited when I told him where I had the work done, but he had already said it was good ) I went here.

http://costaricadentalteam.com/

Old 01-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
This may not necessarily be the OPs situation, but I find it funny how millions of Americans pay $40K+ for a new car that they only plan to keep for 5-7 years without blinking an eye, but balk at the idea of paying the same amount to replace body parts that will last for decades.
Bart, as you know, the OP stated: "$40k for a full set of implants is just not going to happen." At that price, the OP has pretty well ruled that out. I suppose that kind of price is possible depending on the material used to make the denture appliances or dentists who are located in wealthy locations, but $40k is a pretty steep price for a full set of implant dentures. I had a quote in the US of $20k for a set of implant dentures. It would have included a total of 8 implant posts (4 for the upper and 4 for the lower). Each titanium post set (just the hardware) cost $2k each. The rest of the costs involved extraction, the implanting procedure, and the cost of the denture appliances.

Few insurance plans (if any) cover installation of implant dentures claiming they're just "cosmetic". I have both Medicare and a supplemental health insurance plan, and they wouldn't even cover standard dentures. The options were to apply for a medical loan from a private company (CreditCare) which has a line of credit (which does not cover the full amount) and must be repaid within about 6 months to avoid very high interest charges. The other option is to pay the amount in full out-of-pocket. For me, paying in full by check or cash (no credit cards), allowed a discount price from the dentist. Apparently many dentists do not like to provide payment on a monthly basis because too many patients default and fail to pay. If you personally know the dentist extremely well, or the dentist is a member of your family, it's possible that an exception could be made. I opted for standard dentures, which frankly are not very convenient. It might be possible to get a bank personal loan to cover the cost of implant dentures though.

One advantage for implant dentures is that the bone grows around the implant posts keeping the posts firm. Another advantage is that the dentures stay in place better than standard dentures, and the upper denture does not have a plate covering the palate (enables tasting food better). And implants allow stronger hold for better chewing.

A disadvantage of standard dentures is that they often need to be replaced every 3 to 8 years. The bone of the jaw tends to slowly dissolve over time, making the fit of the dentures looser as there's just soft gum tissue and no firm bone to support the denture. The rate of bone shrinkage can vary from person to person. I assume that occurs with the upper jaw as well. But depending on the material, the teeth of lower cost dentures can wear down. It's possible to extend the life of standard dentures by relining the dentures. But eventually the dentures will have to be replaced. The 3 to 8 year replacement thinking is probably to include other issues such as breakage, although repairs can be made for damaged dentures depending on how severe the damage is. It is also possible to damage implant dentures (the denture, not the posts). That said, dentures, including implant dentures, are not likely to last for decades without needing to be repaired or replaced, although some people will try to make do with loose fitting or worn-out dentures that clack when you speak.

The cost of standard dentures can depend of the material used
Types of Dentures - Local Denture Clinic - THE DENTURE PEOPLE

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the denture teeth of implant dentures have a life of about 7 years before needing to replace them.
https://dentalimplants-usa.com/denta...-full-denture/
https://dentalimplants-usa.com/wp-co...eteDenture.pdf

With respect to the cost of implant dentures, I'm sure you'd agree $20k to $40k is a major investment. For many, perhaps most people, that can cramp the budget, especially if there's no insurance to help defray the overall cost. As such there are other less costly alternatives to consider. It really depends on what a person can afford. Another possible option to look into for implants are dental schools which may be much less costly than going to a private dentist.
Multidisciplinary Implant Center FAQ | School of Dental Medicine | University of Pittsburgh

Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM

629 posts, read 934,323 times
The title of the thread is "Will the cost of implants ever come down to affordable levels?". $40K is a reasonable fee for upper and lower implant hybrids (not implant dentures). It is no more expensive than a car that millions of people take out bank loans to purchase everyday. If you think that $40K is too much for a set of replacement fixed teeth, then you should think about what and how much you use your teeth for. Believe me, you use them way more than a car.

The OP also asks "Is this a technology that will see significant drop in prices in any realistic time frame, or is it likely to remain out of reach for all but the rich?". I have done these $40K implant cases before and my patients are not rich. They are working class Americans who took out bank loans to pay for their treatment because they saw the value in it, just like the millions of working class Americans who take out $40K bank loans everyday to drive around in a car that they'll get rid of in a few years.

Words like "affordable", "reasonable", and "expensive" are very relative terms. It's about what you value. For me, taking out a $40K loan on a car is ludicrous. If I needed to spend the same amount to get my teeth back, I'd be at the bank first thing Monday morning.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:25 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
I recommend Costa Rica for dental work also. It's been about six years now since I had major work done there. Two implants, periodontal surgery in four quadrants, bone grafts, and various crowns and bridges. I don't recall the exact price for it all because it was done in two trips over six months. The cost including air fare and hotel stays and other expenses was far less than the quote I got here. Like 50% or less. They did excellent work and I have had no issues since the work was done. I just had heart surgery to replace a valve this last November and I had to have a dental exam to make sure there was no infection in my mouth. I asked the dentist what he thought of the work I had done and he said it looked very good. He didn't seem too excited when I told him where I had the work done, but he had already said it was good ) I went here.

http://costaricadentalteam.com/
Did you also go to Costa Rica to have your heart surgery?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Are we all talking about the same thing here? Don't forget that the words "implant dentures" can mean lots of things. If these are actually dentures (retained by implants), then yes that is pretty pricey compared to what I and other dentists in my area charge. But if you're talking about a fixed hybrid prosthesis, then that is a little cheaper than they go for in my area. The title of the thread also doesn't mention the materials used like acrylic vs zirconia which can double the price.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The title of the thread is "Will the cost of implants ever come down to affordable levels?". $40K is a reasonable fee for upper and lower implant hybrids (not implant dentures). It is no more expensive than a car that millions of people take out bank loans to purchase everyday. If you think that $40K is too much for a set of replacement fixed teeth, then you should think about what and how much you use your teeth for. Believe me, you use them way more than a car.
Thanks Bart. Your terms "implant hybrids" vs "implant dentures" are a bit unclear. I looked it up, and the only difference I see is that "implant hybrids" are essentially implant dentures with the exception that the hybrids are screwed in with abutment screws through the denture and into the bone of the upper and lower jaws. In the so-called hybrids, the openings where the screw heads are located are sealed up. The have to be unsealed and unscrewed to be inspected and cleaned about once a year. Apart from that, they remain in place, whereas the implant dentures use posts that can be snapped out or snapped in as desired. From what I see in the images in the link below, while there are differences, they're both implants and they both use acrylic dentures. They are not the standard type of dentures that require adhesives to hold them in place. Is that a reasonable assessment?

Quote:
The OP also asks "Is this a technology that will see significant drop in prices in any realistic time frame, or is it likely to remain out of reach for all but the rich?". I have done these $40K implant cases before and my patients are not rich. They are working class Americans who took out bank loans to pay for their treatment because they saw the value in it, just like the millions of working class Americans who take out $40K bank loans everyday to drive around in a car that they'll get rid of in a few years.
Yes, the OP's question was of whether the price of implants (unspecified as to what kind) will drop in the not too distant future, or will they remain out of reach for all but the rich. That the OP has ruled out implants (again unspecified) because of cost ($40,000), it might be fair to assume that such costs exceed the limits of the OP's income. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I am saying not everyone can afford it. Sure, there are some people who take out bank loans to buy a $40,000 car. But have your patients actually told you they had to make a decision about taking out a $40,000 loan to to pay for hybrid implants or buying a similar priced car? Regardless, I think you missed the whole point of what I was talking about. Forget about cars, although I agree that if someone spends a bundle on a car, chances are they'll be trading it in within a few years for another one, which in effect boils down to being perpetually in debt. I have one car. I've had it since 1994, it's completely paid for and it still gets me around. My point was that not everyone can afford $40,000 for luxury dentures, but there are lower priced alternatives. Just because someone doesn't have fancy dentures, doesn't mean lower priced ones aren't a valid solution. The thing is that many of the regular old-style dentures and implant dentures are likely to require being replaced after a number of years. Do all your patients splurge on top of the line dentures? Do you have any patients who opt for lower priced ones? What kind of dentures do you provide that cost $40,000?

Quote:
Words like "affordable", "reasonable", and "expensive" are very relative terms. It's about what you value. For me, taking out a $40K loan on a car is ludicrous. If I needed to spend the same amount to get my teeth back, I'd be at the bank first thing Monday morning.
I agree, such words are relative terms. But so are terms like "implant hybrids" and "implant dentures" without clarification describing the difference. I'm with you, $40,000 is a lot to spend on a car. And if it got down to deciding between getting the car or getting new teeth, teeth would be the best choice in my opinion as well. But high-priced hybrid implant dentures are not always what people are willing or able to pay for if it means cutting into their budget too deeply, regardless of what you may otherwise think. I mean even standard dentures are better than no teeth at all, unless you're a banjo-playing, corncob smoking hermit with a jug of moonshine living up in the hills and don't give a hoot. Same thing goes for cars. Not everyone is going to pay $40,000 for a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health