Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 03:46 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times

Advertisements

My great aunt had a couple of bridges in her mouth that fell out and couldn't be restored. At the time she was told she needed her gums scrapped at an oral surgeon. Fast forward a couple years and she finally worked up the courage to let me take her to the dentist. Meanwhile she has been walking around with many missing teeth. The dentist told her that besides implants which she can't afford - the only option is to extract all the rest of her teeth and put in removable dentures because there is no "base" left to put any crowns or replace the lost bridges. The dentist said - by looking at her xrays for 2 seconds - that her roots were too decayed. Said nothing about the condition of her gums and didn't even look into her mouth. Just going by the Xrays. Anybody ever been told this before? Just never heard of not being able to do crowns or bridges. My aunt now wants to forget the whole thing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
The teeth are rotted below the gums. They are no longer fixable. So the gum condition no longer matters since they will soon be no teeth.

I've never understood what people mean by "scraping gums".

Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Said nothing about the condition of her gums and didn't even look into her mouth. Just going by the Xrays. Anybody ever been told this before? Just never heard of not being able to do crowns or bridges. My aunt now wants to forget the whole thing again.

Yes, you can tell just by looking at x-rays that teeth are not fixable. Crowns and bridges need structure for support. If she can't get implants, then a denture is the answer. The gums don't matter at that point.

I'm sorry your great aunt is having this trouble, hope she gets some nice comfortable dentures. Tell her that her smile will be beautiful again, sometimes that helps for motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health