U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 PM

21,754 posts, read 20,812,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I spent a year eating nothing but soft foods after jaw surgery. It was a long year . . . I can relate to your frustration. I am also intolerant of all cow milk products, although I can tolerate goat milk products. Soft goat cheese is similar to regular cream cheese.

I lived on scrambled eggs, baby cereal (like Pablum), milk toast made with white bread (use soy or almond or rice milk), applesauce, mashed pears, mashed potatoes - white or sweet or yams, mashed beans, soft canned fruit like peaches (mash them up), ground turkey (I don't eat red meat), tofu, tilapia, goat cheese, stewed tomatoes, winter squash like acorn or butternut (makes a good soup too), jello (lots of jello) and probably more soft foods that I've put out of my mind. It's pretty repetitious but you do what you have to do.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
That sounds good (from another milk allergy person). I'd add oatmeal with almond milk, cornmeal boiled in water & then add almond milk (aka cornmeal mush), soup that you can make from butternut squash & pureed onions, herbs, and almond milk, custard that you can make with eggs and almond milk. You can even make your own "ice cream"--look up some of the dairy free recipes. Ice creams and sorbets are good with almond milk. If you can possibly afford a Vita Mix, it's great for things like this. Smoothies can be really good too made in a Vita Mix.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:47 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,387,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That sounds good (from another milk allergy person). I'd add oatmeal with almond milk, cornmeal boiled in water & then add almond milk (aka cornmeal mush), soup that you can make from butternut squash & pureed onions, herbs, and almond milk, custard that you can make with eggs and almond milk. You can even make your own "ice cream"--look up some of the dairy free recipes. Ice creams and sorbets are good with almond milk. If you can possibly afford a Vita Mix, it's great for things like this. Smoothies can be really good too made in a Vita Mix.
I hadn't thought of cornmeal mush. I might try that just for fun anyway.

How I forgot spaghetti I don't know! Pasta can slip down easily without much masticating. Add some pureed spaghetti sauce, or olive oil, or "pretend butter" and there you go.

Myzithra cheese is made from sheep or goat milk. I can tolerate that, too. It's a hard cheese that can be melted or grated onto pasta or soft bread.

Jams and jellies make the boring soft white bread more interesting. Honey works too. It's all coming back to me now!

It was sort of strange when I could eat hard or crunchy foods after that year of healing was over. I found I didn't really miss that chewiness so much. Prior to that I was all about crunchy. Funny how we can retrain ourselves out of necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or