U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

325 posts, read 147,911 times

Advertisements

I have really poor teeth- mostly baby teeth (never had adult teeth in most of my mouth) and they are giving out. It's too much for the dentists to keep up with so I'm looking at many months of not being able to eat anything stringy or solid. I've been living off of mashed potato and stuffing, well cooked soup and I recently found a yogurt that is non-dairy so I can eat it. I'm not getting a lot of meat because I really can't chew at all. I haven't been eating balanced meals. Beans are ok if they are cooked down to being more of a bean paste and I do eat hummus (with a spoon because pita is too hard) and cooked beans.

I am highly allergic to any milk products so that rules out quite a lot of soft foods and drinks like ensure, smoothies etc have dairy in them.

I have trouble with anything stringy (like stewed beef or roast turkey) or crunchy or anything that needs chewing- even rice, even romaine lettuce.

I'm feeling miserable and eating all this mashed junk potato and stuffing is affecting my digestive system (though swallowing foods without chewing adequately was also effecting digestion) and I'm gaining weight even though I feel hungry all the time and eat less- essentially I'm carb-loading and eating foods I did not consume in great quantity in the past.

So I'm hoping people who have had dental work have some ideas. Really truly hoping.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 01:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 6,319,116 times
What about pureeing foods you can't chew? Maybe invest in a very good food processor.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 AM

15,929 posts, read 33,595,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What about pureeing foods you can't chew? Maybe invest in a very good food processor.
Yes, I was going to suggest this. Make it like baby food.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,881,079 times
there is actually a cookbook for post-dental procedures.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,866,909 times
If you are looking at many months of not being able to eat normally while your dental work is done than you may want to consult a nutritionist.

A nutritionist should know about foods for someone with your eating difficulty.

For instance, high protein gelatin (used in hospitals), and also foods that are of the right consistency for you to swallow easily.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM

4,456 posts, read 2,176,790 times
Fish is easy to eat and doesn't need much chewing. I've had lots of dental work and ate hamburger patties with cheese, fish filets, rice, potatoes, puree type soups. A lot of recipes can be made with ground meat rather than whole and things like chili and sloppy joes don't need much chewing. Bananas and watermelon and soft melon work for fruit, also peeled citrus.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:19 AM

8 posts, read 3,040 times
You can go soups,their is lot variety of soups available online.You go go for seafood in addition.This will certainly help maintain and loose weight.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM

325 posts, read 147,911 times
I might break down and start pureeing meals. I've been resisting that idea because I really really think that it'll be pretty gross as a glop, but glop is pretty much what I am eating. And really I'm lacking meat which is not a huge deal because I was never a daily meat eater but I certainly do miss it. I am getting ground turkey and beef in but not daily because there's only so much black beans or red beans a person should eat.

Fish works well but anything with form- even soft cooked carrot or watermelon is agonizing.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 6,319,116 times
Well, maybe remind yourself that it all ends up as glop once your tongue has gotten it's jollies and it gets past your tonsils! Sounds miserable OP.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,619,614 times
I spent a year eating nothing but soft foods after jaw surgery. It was a long year . . . I can relate to your frustration. I am also intolerant of all cow milk products, although I can tolerate goat milk products. Soft goat cheese is similar to regular cream cheese.

I lived on scrambled eggs, baby cereal (like Pablum), milk toast made with white bread (use soy or almond or rice milk), applesauce, mashed pears, mashed potatoes - white or sweet or yams, mashed beans, soft canned fruit like peaches (mash them up), ground turkey (I don't eat red meat), tofu, tilapia, goat cheese, stewed tomatoes, winter squash like acorn or butternut (makes a good soup too), jello (lots of jello) and probably more soft foods that I've put out of my mind. It's pretty repetitious but you do what you have to do.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health