Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

So many just don't think about this and all the breads that area consumed, pastas that are consumed and the connection to dental cavities. I did NOT for most of my life and I was born and raised on the above and had plenty of dental work done in my life.

I stopped bringing bread into my house about 10 yrs ago and have not had a plate of pasta in probably 10 yrs also or more, may be my last supper if I'm strong enough to eat it, but I have not had a dental issue in well over 10 yrs. And no longer cookies, donuts, bagels for sure, and am learning to live with some fruit and yogurt for a sweet snack.

So much pain and misery with this dental issue and all the work so many people go thru. It's the wrong foods and here is just one link on this issue.

Whole Health Source: Unrefined vs. Refined Carbohydrates and Dental Cavities

Being born and raised in fluoridated tap water surely didn't help with my dental health..

I was not ready to hear this many years ago probably but never heard it anyway. Just kept going to the dentists for dental work.

There is a philosophy that says: When the Student is Ready, The Teacher Will Appear.

This is my story and believe what has gone on in my mouth and I am 80 and am doing fine now with all I do re: foods and antioxidants and the toothpaste I use, Coconut Oil that I make up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
The last cavity I had was over 35 years ago. In that time I didn't restrict my diet and never had another cavity. I honestly can't see carbs having anything to do with it. Yes, any diet plays a role whether you get the right nutrition. At one time my iron levels were dangerously low and I know that health scare impacted my teeth because at that time I had a root canal. Funny how your overall health is impacted and it shows up in small ways.

It's also taking care of your teeth. Flossing is important. Brushing. It's also knowing if you have weak teeth, illnesses in childhood where the meds you were used or high fevers caused enamel problems. Our son had high fevers and his adult teeth came in with pits. Tetracycline used as a child impacting the teeth. Those with asthma in their childhood and the medicine they used to survive.

Avoiding foods that can crack a tooth (Ice and hard candy). I asked my dentist for tips and he always said avoid chewing on ice and hard candy. Jawbreakers. Watch for gristle in your hamburger. A lot of it is common sense.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
You can eat carbs if you brush and floss afterwards to clean your teeth. Most people seem to hate flossing because it takes a bit of effort to learn how to do it properly, but it can prevent a lifetime of dental work. Thoroughly cleaning your teeth a couple times a day is one of the most important things you can do for your body.

Also, don't chew rocks.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 2,897 times
Yeah, Carbs can cause cavities but by having them in appropriate amount we can avoid formation of acids and bacteria that cause cavities.

* Clean your teeth after having your meal
* Eat the carbs in one go
* Avoid having sticky carbs that stick to your teeth
* Have chewing gum after having your meal

Hope this will help

Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

320 posts, read 279,697 times
I seem to be having some issues with the old amalgams. Began cracking like crazy a few years ago! Then LEAKING. During typical dental xrays ***I WAS TOLD BY MY DENTIST****, the metal HIDES decay. great.

I began this overly zealous health food plan - which include soaked almonds, walnuts, etc and BAM cracked a molar. Out it came. Had one pulled during the summer -- same thing: CRACKED. Sent to a ct dental xray and they found a teeny tiny crack under the NEW filling that had replaced the cracked amalgam. sheesh.

I have a composite bond on it now with a new pain beginning.

I have been gluten free now for a bit, but now keto. More Vit D with K2. My tooth powder has hydroxyapatite from cow bone. I use three different tooth brushes. Oils. floss. tongue scraper. a paste made with clay. all kinds of fun. yet these old fillings are cracking but no one would remove them before they cracked - they have been old for quite awhile -- and I asked about them a long time ago - now it's a mess. sorry. just fed up. I have NO gum issues/problems. Gorgeous white teeth. Its the old silver making things miserable for me.

Chew xylitol gum!! No real hot/cold liquids. I use volvic water for rinsing. when will the cracking end

Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
sometimes, genetics overrules diets.
i got my Daddy's soft teeth, therefore i have 14 crowns.
my mouth has more money in it than my 401k. lol.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Plain old time and wear and tear leave their marks on most things. Few materials, naturally-occurring or manufactured last indefinitely.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I seem to be having some issues with the old amalgams. Began cracking like crazy a few years ago! Then LEAKING. During typical dental xrays ***I WAS TOLD BY MY DENTIST****, the metal HIDES decay. great.

I began this overly zealous health food plan - which include soaked almonds, walnuts, etc and BAM cracked a molar. Out it came. Had one pulled during the summer -- same thing: CRACKED. Sent to a ct dental xray and they found a teeny tiny crack under the NEW filling that had replaced the cracked amalgam. sheesh.

How long do you want things to last? Do you also have a complaint thread on the automotive forum that your tires are wearing out? Nothing lasts forever, especially when man-made. Your original teeth were made by God Himself and you managed to tear them up. Nothing man-made is going to last as long as your original teeth.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
How long do you want things to last? Do you also have a complaint thread on the automotive forum that your tires are wearing out? Nothing lasts forever, especially when man-made. Your original teeth were made by God Himself and you managed to tear them up. Nothing man-made is going to last as long as your original teeth.
I agree^^, however having said that I do have one amalgam filling that is at least 50 y.o. with no issues, plus a lower 4 tooth bridge capped with gold that is now 45 y.o with no issues. Other dental work did not fare so well and I have had to have some replaced, but these are hangin' on!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You can eat carbs if you brush and floss afterwards to clean your teeth. Most people seem to hate flossing because it takes a bit of effort to learn how to do it properly, but it can prevent a lifetime of dental work. Thoroughly cleaning your teeth a couple times a day is one of the most important things you can do for your body.

Also, don't chew rocks.

Exactly. I love pasta, have never restricted my carbs--and have never had a cavity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health