U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,357 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the long post, but I want to give you a lot of context to see what you think.

I redid a filling last week on a molar. The dentist cleared out the decayed mass in the old filling and filled it with the stuff that's supposed to reduce pain. She said she believed the filling would be solid enough to hold without requiring further work/root canal.

The same day when the anesthesia wore off, I had some really intense pain, kinda like getting drilled without anesthesia, but that subsided with over the counter medication. And the following day, I was fine, hardly any discomfort at all.

Two days after my filling, I took a flight which caused progressively worsening discomfort. It's now been two days since the flight and the pain has only worsened. It feels dull most of the time and sometimes throbs, particularly if I'm laying down. I also have some discomfort in the lower jaw area around it. It doesn't feel worse than it did before the filling, but it's definitely driving me a little crazy. Weirdly, it doesn't really hurt much when I bite down or when I eat or drink hot/cold things. Actual physical manipulation seems to have no effect on the pain. Though sometimes laughing or talking for extended periods does make it feel worse.

I keep reading that "sensitivity" is normal and can take a couple of weeks to go away, but I would consider this a step above just sensitivity. Nothing I do really helps either. I've tried over the counter pain meds, rinsing with warm salt water... still hurts just the same.

Now my other problem is that I'm visiting family for the holidays. My insurance won't cover me here. So assuming I do need further work on the tooth like a root canal, do you think it's okay to wait 3 weeks until I return home to see a dentist? Or is this something that could be an emergency and should be handled sooner?

Please help! I'm losing my mind over here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 PM

8 posts, read 4,870 times
You can reduce your risk of tooth pain after filling a cavity by avoiding common sensitive teeth triggers, including very hot or cold foods. In addition, toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth can help minimize the possible sensitivity and tooth pain after filling a cavity.

If you have*cavity symptoms, you may have pain in your teeth or in your gums. Cavity pain relief depends on the extent of your tooth decay. Regardless if your cavity symptoms are mild or severe, you should visit your dentist as you may need a filling.

When you have a dental procedure, you may experience sore teeth afterward. Sore teeth are common after many dental procedures, whether it is something as simple as a cavity filling or as complicated as gum surgery.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:01 AM

28,804 posts, read 11,446,625 times
I guess if it were me, I'd make sure Ibuprofen was along with me and to be sure to take it with food in stomach, maybe 400mg every 6 hrs as needed.

I don't have any issues now but know that dabbing either clove oil or tea tree oil or oil of oregano can help with pain. I've had good success with myrrh tincture dabs too.

Hard for us to know what is going on, could be the effects of the dental work.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,357 times
Seems like it was just sore from the work. Wanted to come back and update in case anyone’s in my situation. I had a couple of days of pressure and pain in the tooth and also my jaw but it started getting better on its own even after I stopped using painkillers. Pain lasted about a week after the filling. And now I feel some very very vague discomfort particularly when I eat anything chewy, but nothing I’m really worried about. I’m very relieved. Thanks guys!

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper13 View Post
Seems like it was just sore from the work. Wanted to come back and update in case anyone’s in my situation. I had a couple of days of pressure and pain in the tooth and also my jaw but it started getting better on its own even after I stopped using painkillers. Pain lasted about a week after the filling. And now I feel some very very vague discomfort particularly when I eat anything chewy, but nothing I’m really worried about. I’m very relieved. Thanks guys!
Just don't get why it didn't hurt at all in the first week then suddenly its a horrible pain when biting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health