Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times

Advertisements

My son who's 10.5 needs a MARA device for his severe overbite. (He literally can't seal his mouth and affects his eating and other activities, like learning to swim).

We have the top part of the device with the expander that he needed in.

(Great! The top part is done and we just need the bottom put in.)

The problem is that the bottom part of the device didn't fit right and we had to get it remade.

(Cool! We can roll with that. Even though we really thought it would be done in one appointment.)

Now, the ortho comes back to us and says that she wants my son to have surgery on his gums because his 12 year molars haven't erupted yet. She says this will give the bottom bracket a place to sit. (Which will solve the problem that is occurring because the bracket is cutting into his gum line and was hurting when they tried to put it on.)

We really don't know if surgery is a good idea or not. Is this something that typically happens in this situation?

We know that it's not weird for kids his age to get these devices if there's a need.

We just don't want our kid to go through a surgery if he really doesn't need one or isn't the best way to solve this problem. We just want to do our due diligence.

As a result, I'm just asking for some feedback. I'm hoping that other people have been through this and can give their feedback or share their experience.

We have our initial appointment with the oral surgeon in a few weeks.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health