Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,808 times

Advertisements

I never had a tooth extracted

I need to have 2 old wisdom teeth and 1 molar removed. 3 at once...in addition to filling 8 cavities.

Is all that at once too much?

How much more painful/uncomfortable is a tooth extraction compared to drilling and fill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
I wouldn't do that all at once, and I am amazed a dentist would do that all at once. Although, I can see the benefits in a reduced amount of pain.

Having just had two teeth pulled, I can say that for me, the discomfort of an extraction is not all that much worse than a filling/drill. With an extraction you may be more sensitive for a few more days, but for me it hasn't been that bad. With a filling, you may be sensitive for a day or so and that will be it.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM

They want to do the pulling in one visit and the fillings in another. I just want it over with.

Like I said,I never had a tooth extraction and my anxiety level is rising after reading things on the internet. For someone who never had a tooth pulled, is 3 at once too much?... am I in for some serious discomfort during the proceedure?

p.s.- I had my first cavity filling last week. I have never had one done.... im in my 40s. It wasnt as bad as I feared for decades and I feel silly for letting it go for so long because of this. I can only imagine that extraction is significantly worse though.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:53 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Honestly, most of the pain I'm having now (two days after extraction) is from the site of the injection of the novocaine (whatever they use to numb). Yes, there's a little tenderness at one of the extractions, but it's not that bad.

Keep in mind that a lot of what people post on the internet are horror stories meant to sound much worse. People who had no issues or only minor issues aren't necessarily going to share their "normal" experiences.

When they do one or the other or both at the same time would be dependent on the location(s) of the teeth, for me. I think I'd do it the way they want it done. I know getting it over with is good too, but it might just be too much at once.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
I had two wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. No problems. Try not to worry.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I had two wisdom teeth pulled at the same time. No problems. Try not to worry.
I did one all four at once- full disclosure- with an oral surgeon and under sedation.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Our son had all four wisdom teeth extracted at the same time by an oral surgeon.

No pain during procedure and only needed Advil for a couple of days afterward.

You will want to eat soft foods for a couple of days.

Be sure not to drink with a straw after the extractions. That can create a dry socket.

The dental surgeon will give you the instructions.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Are they using sedation or just a local? I've had a tooth pulled with a local and it genuinely is painless if you have a good dentist. The "crack" as the tooth separates from the bone is a little disconcerting but that's how it happens. Not much pain afterwards. Sedation is even better- you're out the whole time! I've had some messy extractions under sedation (tooth had been root-canalled and thus practically fused to the jawbone, one with a hairline crack in the root, once with too much decay under the crown to repair). Never needed anything stronger than a single dose of OTC pain reliever afterwards.

There might be an advantage to doing all the cavities at once- one numbing can allow them to do several if they're in the same vicinity.

My dentist has always said that I should hold up my hand if the anaesthetic isn't working during any procedure. If I do, he stops and injects more.

One question: that's a lot of work. Have you gotten a second opinion? You did mention neglecting dental visits for a long time, but unless you're sure you have all these issues you may want to talk to another dentist.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 AM

922 posts, read 790,814 times
This is a great question! IMHO it depends on where the teeth are located. I am in the process of getting my bad teeth pulled in preparation for partial dentures.

My first go around he extracted one tooth and 4 root shard from my upper right. Although it was painful, it was only on one side. The next time he took two teeth from the upper left and 3 root shards from the bottom left. My next appointment will be two extractions from the lower right and a filling on the lower left. I think it would have been way too much to do extractions on both sides at once.

If both your teeth to be extracted are on the same side, I say go for it. Otherwise, do one side at a time. It doesn't matter so much about the filling because it will feel better a lot sooner.

Just like lunetune above, most of my pain was from the injection sites.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:43 PM

Thank you for your replies... I guess I will find out for myself soon enough. Lots of things I read do say the pain is not from the actually pulling which manifests itself as pressure? Rather the pain is from the injection of the local.

Is the shot the same as the shot you would get when you have teeth drilled and filled? Or do they have to inject deeper into the gums or something? When I had my first filling done (they did 6 at once) the shot was uncomfortable at most... if the process of pulling a tooth is less pain than that then I can breath a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One question: that's a lot of work. Have you gotten a second opinion? You did mention neglecting dental visits for a long time, but unless you're sure you have all these issues you may want to talk to another dentist.

No second opinion, i am limited by insurance and $$ but of course this is something I have been thinking about, perhaps out of denial and the fact that I have never experienced dental pain.

I can only assume im not being taken for a ride. I went in last week with 7 visible cavities... shaded area on x-rays show 15 ... plus broken upper wisdom (no pain) and a rotten molar that needs root canal/crown or pulling. Add in a total lack of dental hygeine for 40+ years, one visit to a dentist my entire life, for a cleaning in the early 80's, I guess I am hedging my bets. My intent in going in after all these years, again with no dental pain, was to avoid sudden pain and having teeth removed. It looks like my late diligence is getting me just that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health