Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 AM

7 posts, read 26,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

When I was younger I had braces, the orthodontist happened to chip my front tooth while pulling off the bracket and I noticed it had chipped off a piece of my enamel. It wasn't noticeable whatsoever for a few years, I could barely feel it, then over the ages of 20-21 it began to discolor.

It has now looked the same and not progressed in any way in five years. It's just embarrassing to smile when you have a spot on your front tooth. I went to a dentist to see if there was anything they could do and they confirmed it wasn't a cavity and they could fix it, but it'd cost $1000 I don't have. He didn't tell me how he would fix it either, so he could have meant pulling my teeth and giving me dentures for all I know.

Anyways, I'm really hoping someone here can help me figure out a way to remove or severely lighten this spot on my tooth, I've been self conscious of it for years and it prevents me from engaging or feeling comfortable in social situations.
Any feedback helps, thanks!

I have attached an image of the spot on my front tooth, sorry for the quality and lighting, but hopefully you can get a better idea of what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Cosmetic/Small Black Spot on Front of Tooth-img.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Get a second opinion. I don't know what a dentist -would- recommend, but two possibilities come to mind: 1 - grind out the black spot and fill it in with filling that matches the tooth color (the filling would probably not stain the same as a natural tooth, so there would still be a visible difference over time but not as obvious). 2 - get a veneer.

As far as I know, neither of these options costs $1000 and are more in the "few hundred" range.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Hmm, so you think irreversible work would need to be done to fix it, there's no way to just lighten or remove the spot?

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryplatypus View Post
Hmm, so you think irreversible work would need to be done to fix it, there's no way to just lighten or remove the spot?
I don't know how you got that from my post. I said:
Get a second opinion.

I also said that I don't know what a dentist would recommend (which, by extension, indicates that I'm probably not a dentist).

I also said that two possibilities that I (someone who isn't a dentist) could think of would be drill and fill, or veneer.

Nowhere did I say, imply, or hint that I think anything would "need" to be done to fix it. If you want a prognosis, you need a consultation with a dentist. I don't know why you don't know what the dentist was going to do for that $1000. Didn't you ask him?

Regardless, my opinion stands, and I have no reason to change it or add to it. Second opinion, and possibly drill and fill or veneer, AND I don't know what an actual dentist will tell you, since I'm not one.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:13 PM

Yes would have sufficed, not sure why you felt the need to explain at length that you're not a dentist or restate and explain what you've already said. I never said you were a dentist, I was affirming that you didn't have any more information or advice for something I can try. I was just clarifying.

I didn't ask the dentist because I didn't have an appointment, I slid in behind someone else and he had about 5 minutes to give me an x-ray and ask if I wanted an appointment before moving to his next appointment. Not that the question of why matters at all.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Yes would have sufficed, not sure why you felt the need to explain at length that you're not a dentist or restate and explain what you've already said. I never said you were a dentist, I was affirming that you didn't have any more information or advice for something I can try. I was just clarifying.

I didn't ask the dentist because I didn't have an appointment, I slid in behind someone else and he had about 5 minutes to give me an x-ray and ask if I wanted an appointment before moving to his next appointment. Not that the question of why matters at all.
I didn't say yes, because - again - I am not a dentist. I am not qualified to determine whether or not you need any particular dental treatment. I also didn't say no - for the same reason. This is why I reiterated that I'm not a dentist.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 AM

It has been three years since I originally made this post, making it 8 years since I've had this blemish on my front tooth. I have not yet had anything done to it, and it is still the same as it was when I made the post.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information that might help me take care of this cosmetic problem that's non destructive to my teeth like drilling. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
it has been three years since i originally made this post, making it 8 years since i've had this blemish on my front tooth. I have not yet had anything done to it, and it is still the same as it was when i made the post.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information that might help me take care of this cosmetic problem that's non destructive to my teeth like drilling. Thanks in advance.

ask your dentist!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
ask your dentist!
Read the post before replying.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Read the post before replying.
I'll ignore the fact that you're rude... have you tried a whintening treatment such as Crest strips?

I have a small "nick" in my front left tooth- dead center, no discoloration just a little dent in the tooth. Grew in that way. Over the years I have had it filled several times by my dentist. As we aren't drilling the tooth and just placing some fill over the spot, it last a few years and then falls out. I replace it again when it does. My insurance covers it so no out of pocket costs are incurred but I was told if my insurance no longer covered it, when it was done last year, it would cost $50. I'm in NYC for cost reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health