U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 906 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm posting here in hopes of getting some feedback on my situation. Basically, I neglected to go to the dentist for about a year (yeah I know my fault). I moved out of state in September for school, so I wanted to go to the dentist before I left. I've always been prone to cavities, and of course, had quite a few that needed to be filled (basically got work done everywhere).

I got all of this work done around mid September 2018. All of the fillings were composite fillings. After my initial work, I could feel my bite was off (my teeth just felt weird as I had a crap ton of work done). Went back to the dentist and he adjusted my bite. After that, I left for school. It was October by the time I started having pain in (I'm pretty sure) one of my upper right premolars. This was the only filling causing pain. Whenever I clenched my jaw, I would get a sharp pain in the tooth. Additionally, the crunchier/harder the food, the sharper the pain when chewing. No aches, pains, or any sensitivity I noticed. Just the pain when pressure was applied.

So, I found a dentist by my school. Made an appointment and they took new x-rays. She didn't find anything but decided to check my bite again. She ended up saying my bite was still off. This was the second time my bite was adjusted. I was pain free for about two days before it came back. This time, it was slightly less, only happened when I chewed on it.

So, I waited till I went home in December for winter break and saw my regular dentist again. AGAIN he said my bite was off. So he adjusted for the third time. Told me if there was any pain still to come back immediately and he would redo the filling.

Two days later, the pain was still happening. Each time it became less, but it was still significant enough to where I can't chew anything remotely hard.

Went back and he redid the entire filling. And you guessed it, I'm still having pain. Again, it's the best its been since September, but I cannot chew anything hard or hold food against that tooth without a sharp pain.

I guess my question is, should I try and wait it out? My dentist kept telling me he cannot see anything else wrong with the tooth. Should I go see the other dentist again since I am back at school now? (will not be home till March) My dentist kept telling me it was my deepest filling and should take some time to settle, but I really don't think I should be having pain four months after the initial filling. Just tired of this (sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as detailed as possible!!!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,693 times
im having the same issue. have you found any relief?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:00 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,130,521 times
Hm, well you could still need a root canal if it was a large filling, it can be hard to see on an x-ray, did you get a hot/cold test?

Also, you could have nerve damage, which will give you a sensation of pain in that area.

Some people are also very sensitive to even slight changes in their mouth, those people just need to let time go by and get used to it. They call it the princess and the pea syndrome.

Anyway, so sorry as I know that's very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health