U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:57 PM

4,452 posts, read 2,168,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
A dental office there won't just do a cleaning by itself? That sounds illogical, because some (many?) people get a cleaning every 3-4 months. Even then, I would think that twice a year would be the bare minimum for anyone, and nobody's going to get a routine x-ray that often (or so I'd hope.)

The ADA's policy is that for most people annual X-rays are not needed ... although many dentists still "push" them, and if you say No thanks they make you sign a form saying you declined.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/u...very-year.html

My current (new since 2015) dentist uses a special lead apron when taking X-rays; it has a 'collar' like a turtleneck in order to protect the thyroid. None of my other dentists ever had that kind and so I was immediately annoyed at them in retrospect, LOL.

https://www.kerrdental.com/kerr-tota...d-collar-x-ray

Especially because the ADA says this about it:

"The thyroid gland is more susceptible to radiation exposure during dental radiographic exams given its anatomic position, particularly in children. Protective thyroid collars and collimation substantially reduce radiation exposure to the thyroid during dental radiographic procedures. Because every precaution should be taken to minimize radiation exposure, protective thyroid collars should be used whenever possible."

And yet only one of the half dozen dentists and/or oral surgeons I've gone to in my life has ever used a thyroid collar apron.
They'll do just a cleaning if you're a patient and on the schedule. But my post said first-time patient since you said you were looking for a place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,486 times
I agree dental insurance is not really 'insurance' in the way other health insurance is. In fact, after I did some research on how dental insurance worked and how many dental exams you actually need (once every 12-18 months is fine for most people), I decided to drop my plan.
My own dentist in Central Oregon https://redmonddentalgroup.com/ is surprisingly flexible when it comes to payments, they will actually work with you to come up with a plan if you don't have the cash right now. Because of how the dental business worked, that's probably the case with other dentists out there--it doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 AM

615 posts, read 602,096 times
A dentist's office is not a cleaning station. It is a place of healthcare. Any cleaning is a type of TREATMENT. A treatment cannot be rendered without a DIAGNOSIS. A diagnosis cannot be obtained without an EXAMINATION (in this case, both VISUAL and RADIOGRAPHIC).

Typical conversation in our office:

Patient: "Why do I need an exam? I just want a cleaning."
Me: "Ok, what type of cleaning do you need?"
Patient: (blank stare) "Uhh, I dunno."
Me: "Neither do I. That's why I have to examine you first."

Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,650 times
Post Dental Cleaning fees range $84 to $216

Each dentist has its own charges. Dental fees are generally not that different for cash-paying customers compared to insurance rates. See more information at https://ConsumerHealthRatings.com

In New Hampshire, current estimates for an adult dental cleaning ranged from $84 to $216, listed by doctor's name. Dental exams were slightly lower. Two images bitewing xrays ranged from $37 to 120, depending on dental office. Best bet is to call your dentist office and ask what the price would be. Many dental clinics also provide additional discounts for paying on the day of service.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:37 PM

6,615 posts, read 4,078,831 times
If you completed your profile stating where you live, you would get more meaningful replies.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,382,619 times
The cost of my dental insurance (insurance, not a 'plan') is less annually than what I'd pay out-of-pocket for teeth cleanings/x-rays twice a year.

My teeth have never been that great and since I require crowns/root canals along the way, the insurance has been very beneficial in saving me thousands of dollars.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
What is the range or average cost of a cleaning if someone pays cash with no insurance? I'm looking at all the dental insurance plans to see if they are worth it. So trying to find the "value" of free cleanings/xrays or low co-pay cleanings and xrays that having insurance brings.

Also, lets say I have insurance but it doesn't cover crowns or root canals. Is there a different price I would pay if I paid cash with NO insurance at all vs. if I had insurance but crowns and root canals not covered? In other words, even if the insurance doesn't cover certain procedures, is the price lower just b/c you have the insurance vs. not having it?

Thanks!
Go to Groupon website: $51 for x-ray & exam & basic cleaning; $20 for x-ray & exam. But here is a catch that nowaday if the dentists will refuse the basic cleaning if they request you for a deep cleaning; $51 is going down the drain. It happened to me and a lot of people already. I think you can dispute the charge if you pay in credit card and if the dentist refuses the basic cleaning service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health