Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times

Advertisements

I have a recurring gum abscess next to my backmost molar.
I also have 2 wisdom teeth that are 3/4-buried in my gums.

Nothing really urgent though; no pain. But I need to solve these problems in the near future.

I look online, and Delta Dental insurance is way cheaper than anyone else, and they have a ton of participating dentists in my town and no waiting period, and no maximum benefit cap.

I'll have to buy a one year contract ~$80.

two impacted wisdom teeth extracted will cost me up to $230 per tooth.

Semi complicated wisdom teeth extractions like mine retail for 600-800 per tooth.

Other brands of dental insurance want me to pay 50% of the extraction cost, and they cost $20-40 a month, with 6 month waiting period.

So what's the catch?

Anyone experienced with dental plan gotchas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
The first thing I'd want to know is how much coverage are you purchasing per year. If it's $1,500, then it won't go very far.

Next, for some dental policies, those items are covered at 25% the first year, 50% the second.... is that in the policy?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:31 AM

629 posts, read 933,309 times
No maximum? No waiting period? One-year contract for $80? Sounds like you are buying an HMO/DMO/DHMO, not a PPO.

Good luck getting an impacted wisdom tooth extracted for $230. Those HMO fees that your insurance company advertises are useless because the corporate dental chain your insurance assigns you to (since they are basically the only ones who take HMOs) will add on things like sterilization, anesthetic, bone reshaping, etc. to bring the fee to something more reasonable, say $400-500 a tooth. They can't do dentistry for fees that low and still stay in business.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
No maximum? No waiting period? One-year contract for $80? Sounds like you are buying an HMO/DMO/DHMO, not a PPO.

Good luck getting an impacted wisdom tooth extracted for $230. Those HMO fees that your insurance company advertises are useless because the corporate dental chain your insurance assigns you to (since they are basically the only ones who take HMOs) will add on things like sterilization, anesthetic, bone reshaping, etc. to bring the fee to something more reasonable, say $400-500 a tooth. They can't do dentistry for fees that low and still stay in business.

Maybe those are Medicare fees.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
I have a recurring gum abscess next to my backmost molar.
I also have 2 wisdom teeth that are 3/4-buried in my gums.

Nothing really urgent though; no pain. But I need to solve these problems in the near future.

I look online, and Delta Dental insurance is way cheaper than anyone else, and they have a ton of participating dentists in my town and no waiting period, and no maximum benefit cap.

I'll have to buy a one year contract ~$80.

two impacted wisdom teeth extracted will cost me up to $230 per tooth.

Semi complicated wisdom teeth extractions like mine retail for 600-800 per tooth.

Other brands of dental insurance want me to pay 50% of the extraction cost, and they cost $20-40 a month, with 6 month waiting period.

So what's the catch?

Anyone experienced with dental plan gotchas?

I'm in So. Cal. and had smilesaver for a few years and it was fine. Then I looked at Carrington 500 and called some dentists in the plan but never joined. I have no dental plan/insurance..have been using coconut oil toothpaste and essential oils and saving myself from dental appts. My mouth is in good health since using these great oils. I have an long broken molar but continue to keep it clean and "oiled".

Old 08-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The first thing I'd want to know is how much coverage are you purchasing per year. If it's $1,500, then it won't go very far.

Next, for some dental policies, those items are covered at 25% the first year, 50% the second.... is that in the policy?

I don't know if this link will be alive for long,

but here's the direct link to the plan information...

http://bit.ly/2bfVc81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post

yeah, it looks like a dhmo, but I think I get to select my primary care provider.

There are a ton of dentists in my area in Delta's network, not just dental chains

Old 08-23-2016, 02:21 PM

In looking at the plan, it pays OK, but there doesn't appear to be a max benefit. That seems pretty good.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
it pays OK
you make it sound like it's somewhat underwhelming.

where do you think the plan is lacking?

Old 08-23-2016, 04:52 PM

629 posts, read 933,309 times
Again, you need to realize this is a DMO plan and how dentists who accept DMO plans work. Just because your insurance says your crown will cost $325.00 does not make it so. You will not find that $325 crown because it doesn't exist. It starts out at $325, then you add things like core build-ups, porcelain margins, desensitizer, occlusal adjustment, sterilization, anesthetic, etc. and now you have a $1000 crown. Same thing for fillings, cleanings, etc. It is called "unbundling". PPO dentists don't charge separate for things like anesthetic because it is built into the fee. With a DMO, the fee is so low that the only way a dentist can be profitable with them is to start charging for every little thing under the sun. To put it another way, imaging going out to eat because the advertised prices are low, and when you get the bill you see that they have charged you for your napkin, utensils, dishwashing, ice, cups, etc. Now the bill has added up and you could have gone to a nicer restaurant for that price.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times
Bart's got it right. Just go push some oil. Canola oil has the lowest saturated fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health