Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

My tooth #14 is in bad shape, tooth broke, filling fell out and extensive decay. My dentist wants to me get a root canal, build it up and crown it but it is not in my budget at the moment and I don’t feel this tooth is something I can put off. It has put me in so much pain the past 2 nights to the point something has to be done.

My question, and I want to hear from people who have had tooth 14 extracted, what it’s like? How is chewing, and overall life without this tooth. How did it affect surrounding teeth? It’s a scary thought as I have always had a full mouth of teeth.

If possible, I would likely have it bridged if I ever could afford it in the future. Thank you for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
I've had tooth #13 extracted (had a large crown on it and then developed a hairline crack in one of the roots, dentist thought it was likely to need a root canal in future due to "thickening ligaments"). In my case it was replaced with an implant but I haven't had the fake tooth placed yet (they wait months to make sure it's healing). The result is a gap with a flat metal disc with a slot for a screw flush against the gum where the tooth was- essentially what you'd have after an extraction minus the fancy metalwork.

The extraction site itself will heal and just feel like solid jawbone with a little dent in it. I eat a diet very heavy in crispy, crunchy things and have to be careful because a chunk of baby carrot can wedge itself into the gap. My main concern is that I'll bte too hard on one of the teeth on either side of the gap and it might break off because it's not supported by another tooth next to it. Hasn't happened yet, though, and I've been through the implant process a few times before without it happening.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
14 is a chewing tooth and you won't want to chew on that side because it just won't work. Other than that, it'll just be a space and if the teeth on either side are in the bone and healthy, that's about it. You should save for the bridge so you can use your whole mouth properly.

I lost mine when it split right up the middle under the gum while eating granola. I miss it.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
14 is a chewing tooth and you won't want to chew on that side because it just won't work. Other than that, it'll just be a space and if the teeth on either side are in the bone and healthy, that's about it. You should save for the bridge so you can use your whole mouth properly.

I lost mine when it split right up the middle under the gum while eating granola. I miss it.
How long have you been without? I do plan on trying to fill in that space eventually, most likely with a bridge coming the 2020 tax season.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:30 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frannynj View Post
How long have you been without? I do plan on trying to fill in that space eventually, most likely with a bridge coming the 2020 tax season.
A root canal and crown will probably cost the same or less than a bridge. I had a root canal done in a molar a few months ago, it cost $1100 the crown was $960. When I had a bridge replaced for one missing tooth it cost me around $2700 and you'd have to add the cost of the extraction to that. If you don't have the money right now see if your dentist has financing. Most offer 6 or 12 months no interest financing.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:48 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frannynj View Post
The better part of a year because of finances and limited options. The tooth behind it would need, minimally, a root canal and the two in front are not as strong as necessary due to bone loss, so that's another kettle of - well, money.

2sleepy is right about costs. They charge you per tooth on a bridge, so it's awful and when and if it eventually fails, now you have more teeth to try and replace. Get several opinions and make sure you know your options before making a decision.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 PM

987 posts, read 779,117 times
What is the best course of action?

1. Extraction

2. Screw in tooth after extraction

3 Root Canal ( I hate visiting the Dentist so thumbs down for this option)

I have had some really bad dental experiences in the past, haven't we All???

WHY do I Never see anything on the News or Judge Judy about dentists? Are they like Untouchable?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
What is the best course of action?

1. Extraction

2. Screw in tooth after extraction

3 Root Canal ( I hate visiting the Dentist so thumbs down for this option)

I have had some really bad dental experiences in the past, haven't we All???

WHY do I Never see anything on the News or Judge Judy about dentists? Are they like Untouchable?
Do you really think that a root canal is worse to have than an implant? I've had a number of root canals, there was no pain during the procedure, with a few of them I had mild aching for a few days after but it was nothing to worry about or be afraid of. Having an implant is much more involved, lengthy and expensive procedure.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 PM

987 posts, read 779,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you really think that a root canal is worse to have than an implant? I've had a number of root canals, there was no pain during the procedure, with a few of them I had mild aching for a few days after but it was nothing to worry about or be afraid of. Having an implant is much more involved, lengthy and expensive procedure.

I am seeing a new dentist tomorrow mornng in the USA I am nervous after some bad reviews online ;

Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
This place is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health