U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 06:27 PM

3,048 posts, read 4,590,222 times

Advertisements

Certainly an interesting documentary. Makes me very glad I don't have a root canal.

I saw on the news tonight that Alzheimer's disease has been linked to gum disease bacteria.

The teeth and gums have a lot to do with our overall health. Glad that some dentists and scientists are recognizing this and offering healthier options!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 PM

3,384 posts, read 8,522,696 times
I saw that documentary, but the problem is if you do a web search on the content presented, there are many contrary opinions. Do root canals, when properly done, result in bacteria streaming into my system for the rest of my life? I don't know. How many root canals have been done in the USA in the past 10 or 20 years, and why are there not millions and millions of people dropping dead, if everything said in the documentary is true?

I have a bunch of root canals in my mouth, most done in the last 20 years. My dental health has improved a lot in the last 4 years or so, by elimination of all sugary foods and beverages, including fruit juice. I am also a very good at flossing and brushing twice a day. In the past 2 or 3 years, I have gone in for twice a year dental cleanings, and the dentist says my teeth and gums look good, and there have been no problems or pain.

After watching the documentary, should I go find one of these alternative dentists and have my 7 root canal teeth removed and replaced by implants, bridges, or something else? That does not sound so appealing, since I don't seem to have any other health problems.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I saw that documentary, but the problem is if you do a web search on the content presented, there are many contrary opinions. Do root canals, when properly done, result in bacteria streaming into my system for the rest of my life? I don't know. How many root canals have been done in the USA in the past 10 or 20 years, and why are there not millions and millions of people dropping dead, if everything said in the documentary is true?

I have a bunch of root canals in my mouth, most done in the last 20 years. My dental health has improved a lot in the last 4 years or so, by elimination of all sugary foods and beverages, including fruit juice. I am also a very good at flossing and brushing twice a day. In the past 2 or 3 years, I have gone in for twice a year dental cleanings, and the dentist says my teeth and gums look good, and there have been no problems or pain.

After watching the documentary, should I go find one of these alternative dentists and have my 7 root canal teeth removed and replaced by implants, bridges, or something else? That does not sound so appealing, since I don't seem to have any other health problems.
I agree there are varying opinions out there. I imagine that more studies will tell how much of a problem the bacteria really is.

I thought it was interesting that some people seemed to be affected very quickly after a root canal and others took many years to have an effect. If all teeth with a root canal have this bacteria it makes sense to me that eventually the bacteria would cause problems in the body.

Everyone is different - i.e. some people smoke for decades with no obvious effects and others are affected within only a few years.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:15 AM

38,070 posts, read 17,825,145 times
I'm 72, I have 12 teeth with root canals. The first one was done when I was 28, the most recent one about 6 months ago. Except for knee pain I'm as healthy as most people 20 years younger than I am.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:26 AM

23,052 posts, read 22,101,469 times
There are so many possible causes of Alzheimers and no one really knows for sure. I've had a lot of root canals; so far so good. But my cousin who has always had perfect teeth, whose grandfather was a dentist, has Alzheimers.

I believe my cousin got it from a medication that should never be given to older people. I've googled for that list and I think other people should be aware. Only one doctor that I've ever been to told me that I shouldn't be on some medication at my age.

But who knows? They say 1/3 of Alzheimers is environmental and that could possibly apply to exposure to some chemical they use in dentistry. As someone said, some people are very sensitive to different things A tiny percentage of people might get Alzheimers from dental work. I don't see how gum disease and bacteria could enter into it but no one really knows.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:35 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,504,193 times
I did not see the documentary and there are so many theories on this dread alzheimers. For me and I've had 2-3 R.C. on my life, I'm counting on my grape seed ex as my gums are in great condition and the GS also is said to reduce amyloid plaque that forms on the brain. And G.S. has so many benefits that I'm counting on.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There are so many possible causes of Alzheimers and no one really knows for sure. I've had a lot of root canals; so far so good. But my cousin who has always had perfect teeth, whose grandfather was a dentist, has Alzheimers.

I believe my cousin got it from a medication that should never be given to older people. I've googled for that list and I think other people should be aware. Only one doctor that I've ever been to told me that I shouldn't be on some medication at my age.

But who knows? They say 1/3 of Alzheimers is environmental and that could possibly apply to exposure to some chemical they use in dentistry. As someone said, some people are very sensitive to different things A tiny percentage of people might get Alzheimers from dental work. I don't see how gum disease and bacteria could enter into it but no one really knows.
Anyone interested in dental health should watch the documentary. The documentary noted MANY health issues related to root canals - not just Alzheimer's.

The report I read from BBC News said they studied dead and living patients with diagnosed and suspected Alzheimer's and found bacteria associated with chronic gum disease in the brains of people with Alzheimer's.

The documentary touches on breast cancer and many other health issues and cancers.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm 72, I have 12 teeth with root canals. The first one was done when I was 28, the most recent one about 6 months ago. Except for knee pain I'm as healthy as most people 20 years younger than I am.
I smoked cigarettes for 40+- years and I am still kicking! I am also very healthy and take no prescription medicines.

Still, I wonder when that cigarette damage will show up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health