U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 324 times

Advertisements

I have had a cement/metal taste in my mouth since early december 2018 and realized it was because of a loose/faulty crown. I went to a dentist to get it re-cemented and also they told me that this crown would keep having problems and falling off**because the gums are pushing against it, and an implant would be the best option. I made a consultation for that and we talked about options and pricing.

I then went to another dental office (we’ll call them dentist#2) to see what their pricing would be and what they had to say. I went in for the free consultation and he did some measurements and xrays and told me that my gums had deep pockets and he also recommended the implant. I said okay, sounds good and then the receptionist came with forms. I made this consultation for my upper left side problems and signed the forms.

Then an assistant started numbing the right side of my mouth and I stopped and said “uhh it’s the left side that hurts and has the problem” and then she said “this is for the osseus” im like, “OSS-what??” pretty confused. The dentist came back and explained how they’re going to deep clean my gums basically and i figured it was all related to the left side of my mouth (you know, the WHOLE reason I came for the consult and get an idea of what to do) Anyway, he numbed the right upper side and started doing gum surgery right there basically. I had stitches and then was told not to chew on the right side.

I was so confused and in pain and rushed and asked so many questions, until I realized that this surgery was not related to my left side crown issue at all, and that in fact that problem was still there and i havent been able to eat/bite down using my left side and now he did surgery on the right side so i cant chew there either. Every aftercare treatment says not to use the side that was worked on, so basically he rendered both sides of my mouth useless and incapable. The pain from the left side is still there and now i have tons of pain on the right side too. Oh, and they have let me know how much i OWE ($471) for the procedure that i never even asked for and the only reason i signed any consent form was because i thought it was all related to or pertaining to my problem tooth (left side crown) ….. I don’t know what to do. I can’t pay that amount and especially if it wasn’t even for the procedure I came in for! I thought this payment was for the implant and left side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:07 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,663,627 times
Did you have scaling and root planing done by a dentist previous to the surgery? From what I'm reading the Osseous Surgery is a last resort after other treatments have failed.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM

611 posts, read 518,326 times
Dentist here. Can you please post the financial/treatment paperwork you signed? They should have given you a copy.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM

6,625 posts, read 2,747,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwurda View Post
I have had a cement/metal taste in my mouth since early december 2018 and realized it was because of a loose/faulty crown. I went to a dentist to get it re-cemented and also they told me that this crown would keep having problems and falling off**because the gums are pushing against it, and an implant would be the best option. I made a consultation for that and we talked about options and pricing.

I then went to another dental office (we’ll call them dentist#2) to see what their pricing would be and what they had to say. I went in for the free consultation and he did some measurements and xrays and told me that my gums had deep pockets and he also recommended the implant. I said okay, sounds good and then the receptionist came with forms. I made this consultation for my upper left side problems and signed the forms.

Then an assistant started numbing the right side of my mouth and I stopped and said “uhh it’s the left side that hurts and has the problem” and then she said “this is for the osseus” im like, “OSS-what??” pretty confused. The dentist came back and explained how they’re going to deep clean my gums basically and i figured it was all related to the left side of my mouth (you know, the WHOLE reason I came for the consult and get an idea of what to do) Anyway, he numbed the right upper side and started doing gum surgery right there basically. I had stitches and then was told not to chew on the right side.

I was so confused and in pain and rushed and asked so many questions, until I realized that this surgery was not related to my left side crown issue at all, and that in fact that problem was still there and i havent been able to eat/bite down using my left side and now he did surgery on the right side so i cant chew there either. Every aftercare treatment says not to use the side that was worked on, so basically he rendered both sides of my mouth useless and incapable. The pain from the left side is still there and now i have tons of pain on the right side too. Oh, and they have let me know how much i OWE ($471) for the procedure that i never even asked for and the only reason i signed any consent form was because i thought it was all related to or pertaining to my problem tooth (left side crown) ….. I don’t know what to do. I can’t pay that amount and especially if it wasn’t even for the procedure I came in for! I thought this payment was for the implant and left side...
You need to have a meeting with the dentist and explain what your perceptions were and ask if they can work with you to resolve your pain problem and the bill.

They might have worked on the wrong side and that would be their error - probably will be tough to get them to admit that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or