U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM

3,816 posts, read 2,052,328 times

Advertisements

When I relocated I went about finding a new Dentist. I found one that had good reviews. I got a bunch of xrays and a cleaning for a low introductory price. They found an issue with one tooth that had been missed by my previous one. There was a large cavity in one of my molars. They proceeded to "restore" it and everything was fine for a few weeks. Then I had considerable pain and gum soreness and went back and was told I needed a root canal. I had it done, with a crown and the total was around 3k. I had to pay 300+ for the restoration and 100 for the dentist to tell me the filling they put in didn't work and I needed a root canal. My question is: do you think its right to charge a patient for an office visit to tell them something you did didn't work? I understand it was a deep cavity, but I had no pain beforehand. I think its an insult to charge a patient for an office visit when for something you may or may not have messed up, especially when you charged them 300+ for a filling and 1500 for a crown.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM

10,412 posts, read 4,697,001 times
NOT a dentist, but a couple of things to consider:

I would much rather have a professional tell me the truth about a procedure they performed.

Sometimes procedures don't work as planned even with the best intentions.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Fascinating how people really trust strangers on the internets to choose someone in charge of their health.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 PM

I was having chest pain and went to the hospital. The cardiologist put stents in my heart. A year later I had a heart attack. Should I ask the cardiologist for my money back since his stent did not work?

The dentist did not put the cavity there. The dentist did not neglect the tooth and let decay develop. The dentist hoped the decay did not extend into the pulp and tried to save you money by doing a filling instead of a root canal and crown. But no good deed goes unpunished. As it turns out, you would have needed a root canal and crown anyway. The public unfortunately views dentistry as a commodity like buying a muffler for your car. Biology cannot always be predicted like a muffler.

If a root canal and crown was done from the beginning, we would be reading a post about how "my dentist did a root canal and crown I didn't need."

Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 5,182,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
The dentist did not put the cavity there. The dentist did not neglect the tooth and let decay develop. The dentist hoped the decay did not extend into the pulp and tried to save you money by doing a filling instead of a root canal and crown. "
A lot of people can have tooth decay even if they take very good care of their teeth. Sometimes it's hereditary. Not all cavities are due to neglect. This is a myth.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Regardless, the dentist did not put the decay there. I have a family history of high cholesterol. I don't blame my cardiologist for this. I take ownership of my high cholesterol and don't look for ways to blame others.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:22 AM

3,816 posts, read 2,052,328 times
My point was I should not have been charged $100 for the dentist to tell me I needed a root canal. I already paid $350 for the filling and was charged $1500 for the crown. Another point. I went to that same dentist 3 weeks ago for a cleaning. I am traveling now and went to a recommended dentist here and they found a huge cavity with a probe. No Xray, nothing, which my dentist obviously missed. I was having great discomfort, they cleaned out all the decay and it feels much better. I doubt I developed a huge cavity in 6 days. I will find a new dentist when I return.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:58 AM

34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
When I relocated I went about finding a new Dentist. I found one that had good reviews. I got a bunch of xrays and a cleaning for a low introductory price. They found an issue with one tooth that had been missed by my previous one. There was a large cavity in one of my molars. They proceeded to "restore" it and everything was fine for a few weeks. Then I had considerable pain and gum soreness and went back and was told I needed a root canal. I had it done, with a crown and the total was around 3k. I had to pay 300+ for the restoration and 100 for the dentist to tell me the filling they put in didn't work and I needed a root canal. My question is: do you think its right to charge a patient for an office visit to tell them something you did didn't work? I understand it was a deep cavity, but I had no pain beforehand. I think its an insult to charge a patient for an office visit when for something you may or may not have messed up, especially when you charged them 300+ for a filling and 1500 for a crown.
It's probably not something he "messed up", I have a number of root canals that all followed having a deep restoration, apparently the pulp or nerve gets inflamed and then become infected (I don't know the technical details). Personally I think if you need the root canal within a few weeks after the restoration the dentist who did the original work should do the xrays and exam for free and then refer you for the root canal which you would pay for, if they charged me I would pay but I wouldn't go back. I think it's just a matter of professional courtesy.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 PM

I don't charge for quick follow-ups related to recent work I have done. But if it's a corporate office, they charge for everything since the decision is made by the business owner and not the dentist.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:30 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
People should do their own dentistry at home, using a book or youtube tutorials or something. That way dentists couldn't make a living off dental neglect (sorry, off "genetics").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or