U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 3,526 times

Advertisements

Hi - at my last dental visit 6 months ago, I mentioned (and the hygenist could see) a red sort of semicircle that follows the shape of the tooth. It had been there about 3 weeks I think. The dr. looked at it and thought there was something that got stuck in the gum and tried to get it out but couldn't. I had been eating a lot of nuts and popcorn around that time so it might have been that. They recommended that when I floss that I really try to get up as far as the floss would go and do a salt water rinse 2 x a day. I did for a few days and it didn't go away. I'm going in for my next cleaning on Monday and it is still there. The color or the red area is no worse, possibly a bit better. In certain lights it looks almost the same color as the rest of the gum, but it is inflamed and puffy. I can't remember if it was puffy 6 months ago or not, but I would think the hygenist would have said something if it was. Can anyone venture a guess as to what this could be. I'm sure it could be a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Look up "gingivitis" on google images.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:10 PM

thank you. that is exactly what it looks like, except it is on one tooth. Can it be only on 1 tooth? I've always thought it was usually on multiple teeth. Does anyone know if it can be on only 1 tooth?

Also, most of these images are much worse than mine. I have been much more diligent than I ever was and it seems (both in puffiness and color) to have shown a little bit of improvement.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:57 PM

5,637 posts, read 2,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_retired View Post
thank you. that is exactly what it looks like, except it is on one tooth. Can it be only on 1 tooth? I've always thought it was usually on multiple teeth. Does anyone know if it can be on only 1 tooth?

Also, most of these images are much worse than mine. I have been much more diligent than I ever was and it seems (both in puffiness and color) to have shown a little bit of improvement.
Sure. It can happen on one, two, or all teeth. Does your dentist also do periodontal work? I was delinquent in going to the dentist for about a year and then I had a problem on a couple of back teeth when I went back last year. They had to do a deep clean (I choose dentists that also do periodontal work), a few perio maintenance visits, and now I am back to the normal schedule. I have one tooth on the other side that gets inflamed often because food gets trapped in there regularly. I do try to floss it diligently, but it happens.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 PM

thank you so much for getting back to me. Someone had told me that because it had not gone away in 6 months that i should see an oral surgeon etc., etc., possible biopsy etc. this was someone who had not seen the tooth, even a picture of it. Perhaps my description was not all that good. Anyway, what I don't understand though is why the dentist didn't say that is what it looked like, but it had only shown up a couple of weeks before my last visit. I will say, though, and maybe I said it before, but I have seen improvement in the last couple of weeks. I'm taking really good care of my teeth, brushing for 2 minutes with an electric toothbrush twice a day, flossing once a day, and using a very good rinse that is supposed to fight gingivitis - and it has definitely shown an improvement. if it were gum cancer I don't think it would respond to treatment like this. going to dentist monday and will let you know - I've never missed a cleaning in at 30 years. Before that, there was a 2-3 year period (I was in my 20's) that I didn't go but once I started again I never stopped.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 AM

15,740 posts, read 32,707,463 times
To me (no I am not a dentist) sounds like it may have been a gum "pocket" especially since it is showing improvement with more diligent care. I have had those from time to time, happens easily with all the crowns I have but I really get under the gumline good each time I brush - I use an "end tuft" brush for this. No more problems.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM

gypsychic - just got back from the dentist. It was a gum pocket due to a little bone loss - they are going to do a deep cleaning on the 1 tooth later on in the month - thank you all for your support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or