U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Oak Point, TX
7,589 posts, read 12,267,985 times
Reputation: 4564

Advertisements

Coworker has 7 year old son, and he's already started to shed the baby teeth; his cavity is around the 18 spot if he had a full set (lower left in the back).

What's the best route for her if he's in no discomfort, and the tooth is holding a spot for the future - meaning no spacer would be necessary?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Reputation: 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Coworker has 7 year old son, and he's already started to shed the baby teeth; his cavity is around the 18 spot if he had a full set (lower left in the back).

What's the best route for her if he's in no discomfort, and the tooth is holding a spot for the future - meaning no spacer would be necessary?

TIA
He needs to see a dentist! It sounds like he's never been to see one. Dentists fill cavities in kids mouths all the time, it's as painful for a small child to have a large unfilled cavity in a tooth as it is for an adult. He also should be brushing and flossing at least twice a day. Kids should start seeing a dentist at least by the time they are 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Oak Point, TX
7,589 posts, read 12,267,985 times
Reputation: 4564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He needs to see a dentist! It sounds like he's never been to see one. Dentists fill cavities in kids mouths all the time, it's as painful for a small child to have a large unfilled cavity in a tooth as it is for an adult. He also should be brushing and flossing at least twice a day. Kids should start seeing a dentist at least by the time they are 3.
Turn down the concern knob - he just left the dentist, and has no other problems (they don't eat sweets).

Dentist A wants to refer him to a pediatric specialist because he doesn't work on kids (?) but the fact that he's at that stage of loosing his baby teeth raises the question of timing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Reputation: 25403
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Turn down the concern knob - he just left the dentist, and has no other problems (they don't eat sweets).

Dentist A wants to refer him to a pediatric specialist because he doesn't work on kids (?) but the fact that he's at that stage of loosing his baby teeth raises the question of timing...
No need to get upset, it's peculiar for a dentist to have examined him and not talked to the parents about the importance of filling cavities in primary teeth. Kids don't lose their primary molars until they're 9-11 years old

Here's some info: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...tion-timetable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM
 
2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Reputation: 12658
Deciduous second molars are not shed until age 10-12 years (deciduous first molars are shed at age 9-11 years). The child is 7 years old. That's a long time to have untreated decay. The decay will deepen and cause severe pain, and likely abscess if it isn't filled now.

Yes, it needs to be filled!

Last edited by oldgardener; 03-05-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 PM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Reputation: 2379
The most important role for baby teeth is (surpisingly) not for chewing. It's holding space for the adult teeth. Baby teeth should fall out in a certain order. It that order is disrupted, then remaining baby teeth drift into those spaces and prevent adult teeth from erupting. This can result in additional surgery and braces which can often be avoided otherwise. The greatest fallacy of uninformed parents is that baby teeth should not be treated/managed because "they are gonna fall out anyway".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top