U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM
 
2,166 posts, read 1,007,389 times
Reputation: 2485

Advertisements

I just recently had 2 teeth extracted. they are on my lower jaw beside the K-9. They are not visible. My dentist has warned me about the repercussions of not putting something in their place. Who here has not replaced removed teeth? What has been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2019, 12:22 PM
 
2,904 posts, read 1,637,298 times
Reputation: 12673
Teeth hold each other up straight, and when some of the teeth go missing, the rest of the teeth lean or drift into the empty spaces left behind. That causes a lot of problems for the rest of your teeth.

You can read about those problems here, if you'd like, and you can see pictures of what it does to the remaining teeth....they actually move out of position. https://allentxdentist.com/timely-re...th-is-crucial/

My brother had several missing teeth, and his remaining teeth moved, making it hard for him to chew properly, as his teeth no longer lined up to interact with each other properly during chewing...his chewing forces hit the cusps of the leaning teeth rather than spread out evenly over the entire chewing surfaces of those teeth. This caused the cusps to break off, and the teeth had to be covered with crowns, and since the teeth had leaned or drifted out of position, the crowns were hard to seat and caused him constant trouble. He had nothing but trouble with them all his adult life.

If he had them replaced when they were extracted, they would have been fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Southern California
27,066 posts, read 10,260,321 times
Reputation: 17417
I've gone thru a lot of dental work in my long life and about 15 yrs ago give or take, a 3 tooth bridge fell out. I was eating rocky road ice cream, havent' had it since, but I could not face implants, just don't like the thought. So the dentist was able to make a lovely 3 tooth removable bridge, matches my teeth and gums and works wonderfully. Not a soul knows it's a flipper. This dentist who did this work was a treasure and thinking back I believe it cost me like $200. I don't know if a dentist could make a one tooth flipper to hook on to adjourning teeth.

For me I keep the flipper in my mouth only when I'm out or around people. At home alone, no flipper and all is fine with eating etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 PM
 
1,607 posts, read 1,390,693 times
Reputation: 3752
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've gone thru a lot of dental work in my long life and about 15 yrs ago give or take, a 3 tooth bridge fell out. I was eating rocky road ice cream, havent' had it since, but I could not face implants, just don't like the thought. So the dentist was able to make a lovely 3 tooth removable bridge, matches my teeth and gums and works wonderfully. Not a soul knows it's a flipper. This dentist who did this work was a treasure and thinking back I believe it cost me like $200. I don't know if a dentist could make a one tooth flipper to hook on to adjourning teeth.

For me I keep the flipper in my mouth only when I'm out or around people. At home alone, no flipper and all is fine with eating etc.
I'll be right there with a flipper rather than implants if I need to replace teeth. My mom had a three-tooth bridge like yours and never had a problem with it. My dad had a one-tooth flipper for a central (front) tooth after a root canal went bad and the central had to be extracted. He had that for the rest of his life and never had a problem, either. It's the way to go as long as you have good teeth on either side to anchor the bridge. As always, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:47 PM
 
2,166 posts, read 1,007,389 times
Reputation: 2485
My dentist was steering me away from a bridge. She said that they would have to shave my healthy teeth down. I would rather a bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: OHIO
2,511 posts, read 1,301,920 times
Reputation: 5797
I had a tooth pulled and will need an implant or bridge. I want an implant, but bridges are cheaper...so I will probably have to do a bridge.
I would prefer an implant because I am young and they last a lot longer, they look more natural and don't require shaving down the adjacent healthy teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 02:55 PM
 
1,510 posts, read 809,930 times
Reputation: 2813
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I had a tooth pulled and will need an implant or bridge. I want an implant, but bridges are cheaper...so I will probably have to do a bridge.
I would prefer an implant because I am young and they last a lot longer, they look more natural and don't require shaving down the adjacent healthy teeth.
Is a 3 tooth bridge less than a 1 tooth implant? I'm don't know the answer to that, maybe a dentist on here can verify? I had to have a 25 year old 3 tooth bridge replaced last year so in my case they don't last forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,743 posts, read 6,805,052 times
Reputation: 10361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I just recently had 2 teeth extracted. they are on my lower jaw beside the K-9. They are not visible. My dentist has warned me about the repercussions of not putting something in their place. Who here has not replaced removed teeth? What has been your experience?
I've had 5 molars pulled - 3 in the 90s and 2 recently (2 - 3 years). None of them are juxtaposed. No repercussions - just holes where they used to be. Has caused no problem. It's been ages since I even think about it.

When I was told that it would cause my other teeth to move forward, I just grinned in the same way and for the same reason that I do when an auto repair shop tells me I need $750 worth of maintenance beyond that which I requested or need.

My teeth are deep anchored in bone, like most everyone else's. I knew they weren't going anywhere and, sure enough, they're exactly where they've been for nearly 60 years.

The "warning" is all about sales and revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 05:58 PM
 
2,904 posts, read 1,637,298 times
Reputation: 12673
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've had 5 molars pulled - 3 in the 90s and 2 recently (2 - 3 years). None of them are juxtaposed. No repercussions - just holes where they used to be. Has caused no problem. It's been ages since I even think about it.

When I was told that it would cause my other teeth to move forward, I just grinned in the same way and for the same reason that I do when an auto repair shop tells me I need $750 worth of maintenance beyond that which I requested or need.

My teeth are deep anchored in bone, like most everyone else's. I knew they weren't going anywhere and, sure enough, they're exactly where they've been for nearly 60 years.

The "warning" is all about sales and revenue.
No.

Teeth drift toward the midline when other teeth are missing, which means they don't drift backwards in your mouth...they drift forward. Since your molars (your back teeth) were the ones extracted, there was nothing to drift forward.

It's called "mesial drift" if you'd like to research it. It's obvious on x-rays when a tooth has drifted, but you can't really see it by looking in the mirror at your own teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top