U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM

15,743 posts, read 32,731,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's a huge red flag. I wouldn't go back until I got a second opinion, that just doesn't sound right.
I totally agree with 2sleepy^^ - that just does not sound right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,638,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
alright thanks for the replies. ill guess ill get the 2nd half done. just weird because I dont bleed when I floss and my gums are nice and pink. ive had probes done before but always read 2 and 3 then this new dentist (never saw her before) all of the sudden was reading ALL 5s

my gums feel no different after the deep cleaning on the right side as to my left and they are still pink and tight but w/e i guess ill get a deep cleaning if they truly dont scam about this stuff.

I just remember going to a dentist many years ago and they said I needed a deep cleaning, so I went to another dentist and she said my teeth were perfect
That isn't a "red flag" as people here are saying...it means your gums aren't as healthy now as they were before, when they read 2 and 3. It's not rocket science.

Some dentists will probe your gums regularly to check for gum health, others won't. The ones that do are concerned about gum health (they are prevention oriented); the ones that don't are more concerned about looking for cavities (they are restorative oriented).

Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
If you are concerned, then get a second opinion with a different dentist. But definitely don't put off getting the cleaning done if you need it. Some dentists do recommend unnecessary procedures (that's an unfortunate fact). But if you have periodontal disease or the beginning stages it is too risky. I just got my gum cleaning done and it was no big deal. I have some 5s also. I've been taking Vitamin C and calcium to help.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 AM

611 posts, read 519,881 times
1) Bleeding gums are not healthy gums. No part of your body should bleed simply by lightly touching it.
2) Periodontal probing should not hurt if the gums are healthy. It hurts when the gums are inflamed.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,481,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
That isn't a "red flag" as people here are saying...it means your gums aren't as healthy now as they were before, when they read 2 and 3. It's not rocket science.

Some dentists will probe your gums regularly to check for gum health, others won't. The ones that do are concerned about gum health (they are prevention oriented); the ones that don't are more concerned about looking for cavities (they are restorative oriented).
Right- some dentists are trained to do periodontal work and some do not. If you select one that doesn’t do periodontal work, then they’ll only look at you teeth and mention glaring gum issues that require referral to a periodontist.

Plus, a lot can change in a year or two depending on diet, brushing/flossing habits, or other health issues that can affect your mouth (such as medications that cause dry mouth, thrush or reflux issues). For example, I have had some reflux issues recently and have noticed that my gums are now more sensitive. It is getting better and it seems like the bleeding issues are also going down when I floss.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,942,021 times
The best solution is to remove every other tooth. This gives room to fit a toothbrush between the teeth and keep the remaining teeth healthy.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
The best solution is to remove every other tooth. This gives room to fit a toothbrush between the teeth and keep the remaining teeth healthy.
No, that is not the best solution for the OP's situation.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,767,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, that is not the best solution for the OP's situation.
Toofache is clearly tongue in cheek- he’s a dentist.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:31 AM

39,591 posts, read 48,807,284 times
Not a scam. Whatever you do, don’t ignore the early signs, or you’ll wind up with no teeth. If someone hasn’t mentioned it already, get yourself a water pic and use it faithfully. It’s better than flossing and it is good for stimulating the gums.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 AM

The water pic is a good idea. I recently started using one. It can clean the deep pockets of the gums that ordinary floss cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or