U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:51 PM

10,412 posts, read 4,697,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Toofache is clearly tongue in cheek- he’s a dentist.
Wouldn't that be teeth in cheek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,430,525 times
I all of a sudden had 'deep pockets' too a few years ago. I found some great products through The Calcium Therapy Institute. It works - try it. What do you have to lose? It is much, much cheaper than a deep cleaning.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 PM

75,627 posts, read 88,358,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
hey guys...so I had a probe check and was reading all 5s and she mentioned I was in the entry stages of periodontal disease. I know the probe hurt a little bit and there was bleeding. I mean, I dont even bleed when I floss or brush my teeth, but did with the probe.

I had one side of the deep cleaning done and my gums are still sore and a sensitive teeth I was battling with is back to being really sensitive on that side. (had the cleaning last thursday) just does not make me want to go back

the deep cleaning is the entire mouth and just find it a bit weird my gums look healthy and pink on both sides (left and right)

do dentists usually lie about this? I mean I was looking at pictures of early signs of periodontal disease and my gums look nothing like that except some recession.
I would trust my dentist if I had been using him or her for years. Twice I have had deep cleaning: never time did i think I had been taken. Well, once maybe but not the other time. My dad had bad gums but strong teeth I take after dad, genes wise in many ways. I would doubt a new dentist or hygenist who jumped right away and said I need deep cleaning.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM

75,627 posts, read 88,358,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The probe measure the depth of your gums. The depth should be about 3 mm, so your 5 mm measurements means your gums aren't healthy. Sometimes this is caused by hardened plaque (calculus, or tartar) being stuck to your teeth underneath your gums, which irritates the gums and causes gum problems, so the dentist or hygienist has to scrape that stuff off your teeth. Once that is done, you have to keep the plaque/calculus/tartar from coming back, and you do that by flossing at home. Then your gums will get healthy again.

So, no, it's not a scam. Floss your teeth, and stop complaining about them trying to help your gums get healthy again.
Your comment about flossing is interesting. Yes it is important but our dentist also recommends using a water pick, especially if floss gets stuck in your teeth easily.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM

34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The probe measure the depth of your gums. The depth should be about 3 mm, so your 5 mm measurements means your gums aren't healthy. Sometimes this is caused by hardened plaque (calculus, or tartar) being stuck to your teeth underneath your gums, which irritates the gums and causes gum problems, so the dentist or hygienist has to scrape that stuff off your teeth. Once that is done, you have to keep the plaque/calculus/tartar from coming back, and you do that by flossing at home. Then your gums will get healthy again.

So, no, it's not a scam. Floss your teeth, and stop complaining about them trying to help your gums get healthy again.
It's not a scam if the dentist is ethical you are absolutely right. But at least where I live DSO's or corporate networks of dentists are everywhere, and while the dentists and the hygienists in those offices may be ethical, the business manager is probably nothing more than a salesperson put there to upsell you on work that you most likely don't need and advising that you have treatments that aren't even recognized as legitimate treatments and have to be coded as 4999 (unrecognized perio treatment) They are run like used car lots, their job is to scare you into buying treatment that you most likely don't need.

I had two of those offices tell me I needed a "four quadrant deep cleaning", neither would show me the perio chart or release it to me. The first office wanted to charge me $1858 plus $850-$1275 for "arrestin" treatment. The hygienist did probe each tooth but the business manager whose job it was to "upsell me" didn't even have the perio chart in front of her and was claiming wildly different numbers than those that the hygienist mentioned. The second dentist didn't take x-rays or get a probe even close to my mouth but her "business manager" said that they would give me a cash discount and only charge me $1000 for my badly needed deep cleaning. I told both of them that I would "think about it" and I left.

I got my perio chart from my former dentist in Nevada and took & my x-rays to a local dentist who owns his own practice, he took his own x-rays and had his hygienist do a perio exam. He recommended a maintenance cleaning for $77. That was two and a half years ago and I've been going to this dentist ever since. I'm comfortable that when he recommends something it's because I need it, not because some corporation is pushing him to generate more revenue.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 2,684,499 times
I have had bad gums my entire life I'm going to be 50 in a 45 days. I was always a lazy about brushing and hardly ever flossed hated cleanings because of the pain and bleeding so I just didn't go all the time I would go once a year maybe twice. I have had so many deep pocket cleanings can't remember them all but after a year or 2 I would always fall back into my old habit's. This year I noticed my gum receding down below my teeth I could see bone in the front. Dentist looked at it and said ill need a gum graft. Gum graft is where they take tissue from the roof of your mouth and graft it below the teeth. It was done under local lidocaine. The pain I experienced last 10 days was the worst in my life it's nothing you want to ever have done. If you have bleeding gums, deep pockets the reason isn't dentist trying to scam you it's because you are not taking care of your teeth. The next step for me is a bone graft after that I could actually get my jaw infected but I would also lose my teeth and not be able to get implants. I'm hoping I still have time to keep what I have intact.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 PM

26,958 posts, read 10,233,541 times
Taking care of your dental health is MAJOR NO. 1 and eliminating so much of the sugars and refined carbs and I've mentioned this so much here and well I guess it can't hurt one more time today.

I'm 80, was told some 30 yrs ago I had deep pockets never did anything and then was told never told again, but I changed my life. I'm a huge huge proponent of taking antioxidants and I absolutely know they have made a huge change for me. Gums are tight and healthy and I take daily and have been for many years, Vit C and Grape Seed Extract.

And I know the U.S. is in love with fluoridated toothpaste and water for that matter, and I've never used that toothpaste and avoid "F" as best I can...one can find miles of pros/cons on this additive to our waters and dental products.

In the last 10 yrs or so eliminated so many bad foods that I consumed for years...like pastas and breads and in recent couple yrs cookies and all the other "sweets"...I don't deprive myself by any stretch but I pick and choose my sweets and don't go overboard.

And of course smoking is a huge detrament to our dental health. I'm glad I never had that nasty choice.

Take Control.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-01-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 11:14 PM

4,003 posts, read 2,684,499 times
The worst thing you can do I forgot to say was go to bed without brushing and flossing. When you sleep at night saliva production slows down which keeps bacteria from growing. When you sleep Bacteria goes to work and gums will pull back away from tarter once you lose gum tissue it will never grow back unless you have a graft still not going to stick to the tooth like it did before it will never be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or