Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM

924 posts, read 1,009,241 times

Advertisements

hey guys...so I had a probe check and was reading all 5s and she mentioned I was in the entry stages of periodontal disease. I know the probe hurt a little bit and there was bleeding. I mean, I dont even bleed when I floss or brush my teeth, but did with the probe.

I had one side of the deep cleaning done and my gums are still sore and a sensitive teeth I was battling with is back to being really sensitive on that side. (had the cleaning last thursday) just does not make me want to go back

the deep cleaning is the entire mouth and just find it a bit weird my gums look healthy and pink on both sides (left and right)

do dentists usually lie about this? I mean I was looking at pictures of early signs of periodontal disease and my gums look nothing like that except some recession.

Last edited by willc86; 03-19-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
hey guys...so I had a probe check and was reading all 5s and she mentioned I was in the entry stages of periodontal disease. I know the probe hurt a little bit and there was bleeding. I mean, I dont even bleed when I floss or brush my teeth, but did with the probe.

I had one side of the deep cleaning done and my gums are still sore and a sensitive teeth I was battling with is back to being really sensitive on that side. (had the cleaning last thursday) just does not make me want to go back

the deep cleaning is the entire mouth and just find it a bit weird my gums look healthy and pink on both sides (left and right)

do dentists usually lie about this? I mean I was looking at pictures of early signs of periodontal disease and my gums look nothing like that except some recession.
I don't know about intentional scam but for me and I was told back in the 80's I had deep pockets and back then I was in my later 50's...I never did anything and moved and ended up with another dentist and in the meantime I had gotten on grape seed extract (check out google on gum health and grape seed ex) and the pocket issue has NEVER been mentioned in all the years back here now and I'm headed to 81..and a firm believer in grape seed ex. I have a lot posted around here on this antioxidant. My gums and tight and pink and very healthy.

So I believe some have legitimate deep pockets and especially smokers but otherwise I question everything more than ever and take care of my own health more and more.

My life foods growing up were very acidic and lots of sugar so I'm thinking I probably had pockets but today none....so the antioxidants did a good job and still do.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-19-2019 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,362 times
The probe measure the depth of your gums. The depth should be about 3 mm, so your 5 mm measurements means your gums aren't healthy. Sometimes this is caused by hardened plaque (calculus, or tartar) being stuck to your teeth underneath your gums, which irritates the gums and causes gum problems, so the dentist or hygienist has to scrape that stuff off your teeth. Once that is done, you have to keep the plaque/calculus/tartar from coming back, and you do that by flossing at home. Then your gums will get healthy again.

So, no, it's not a scam. Floss your teeth, and stop complaining about them trying to help your gums get healthy again.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
It is not a scam. I have had 3 gum graft surgeries, and trust me, they are not fun. You do not want to get them. The periodontist thought I brushed too hard and caused it and I am doing a lot better now that I use a sonicare, but if I do not do my regular semiannual appointments, the pockets will come back because I do have a few areas where I tend to get buildup.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
OP: So many don't question but today more and more they are. I never did all the years of dental work I've been thru, and had I jumped to the dentist in the 80's with his dx, I could have gone thru a lot of unnecessary dental work. Thinking back then he may have said 5's....but the new dentists I came to later, never said a word....

Old 03-19-2019, 02:52 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Not in my experience. It is a simple, useful test that can identify problem areas you need to pay more attention to BEFORE that sort of damage is done. Looking at the surface can be deceiving...which is why they use a probe!

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-19-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 03:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

My life foods growing up were very acidic and lots of sugar so I'm thinking I probably had pockets but today none....so the antioxidants did a good job and still do.

How do you know you don't have pockets if you never go to the dentist...do you have a probe and measure them yourself at home....have you had x-rays taken where you can see the bone level? If not, you don't know if your gums are healthy or not.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:45 AM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:

I've only been lied to once by a dentist. I got a 'deltacare' dental plan through Kaiser. The plan dentists all had pretty bad reviews and were all corporate offices like Aspen and Western Dental, but I picked one that had the least awful reviews. The dentist didn't even talk to me when he examined me, then he called in a hygienist, who probed my gums but never wrote anything down while I was in the room, she didn't say anything to me either.

They send me out to another room to talk to a 'treatment planner' who told me I had severe gum disease, she told me I needed a 4 quadrant deep cleaning, laser treatment, antibiotic applications and I don't remember what else. With my crappy insurance my cost was going to be around $2000 if I remember correctly. I just didn't feel good about it so I got a second opinion from a dentist who wasn't part of a corporation. He said my gums were fine and that I did need a crown replaced but that was about it.

So, if you never had gum problems before and have seen a dentist regularly I would ask this dentist for a copy of any x-rays and the perio chart and get a second opinion. The second dentist I saw didn't even charge me for the consultation.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM

924 posts, read 1,009,241 times
alright thanks for the replies. ill guess ill get the 2nd half done. just weird because I dont bleed when I floss and my gums are nice and pink. ive had probes done before but always read 2 and 3 then this new dentist (never saw her before) all of the sudden was reading ALL 5s

my gums feel no different after the deep cleaning on the right side as to my left and they are still pink and tight but w/e i guess ill get a deep cleaning if they truly dont scam about this stuff.

I just remember going to a dentist many years ago and they said I needed a deep cleaning, so I went to another dentist and she said my teeth were perfect

Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 AM

42,711 posts, read 25,867,327 times
Quote:
alright thanks for the replies. ill guess ill get the 2nd half done. just weird because I dont bleed when I floss and my gums are nice and pink. ive had probes done before but always read 2 and 3 then this new dentist (never saw her before) all of the sudden was reading ALL 5s

my gums feel no different after the deep cleaning on the right side as to my left and they are still pink and tight but w/e i guess ill get a deep cleaning if they truly dont scam about this stuff.

I just remember going to a dentist many years ago and they said I needed a deep cleaning, so I went to another dentist and she said my teeth were perfect
That's a huge red flag. I wouldn't go back until I got a second opinion, that just doesn't sound right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health