U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 3,170 times

Advertisements

Recently had some neglected cavities filled. First time getting a filling. Went years without pain but with obvious cavities.

I felt great having the chance $$$ to fix them... but now, after the fact, i am concerned that i have now opened up an expensive relationship with the denistry field. Its my understanding now that fillings dont last very long and because i am poor i am nervous about future trips to the denist.

Maybe i should have just left well enough alone.....

How long can i expect resin fillings to last?

Have i opened up a can of worms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:41 PM

10,412 posts, read 4,697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannymo View Post
Recently had some neglected cavities filled. First time getting a filling. Went years without pain but with obvious cavities.

I felt great having the chance $$$ to fix them... but now, after the fact, i am concerned that i have now opened up an expensive relationship with the denistry field. Its my understanding now that fillings dont last very long and because i am poor i am nervous about future trips to the denist.

No one can predict whether your teeth will decay or not or whether a previously-repaired tooth will need more work in future. That is due more to the TOOTH's health, not the filling. FWIW, I have a few small resin fillings (not from cavities but damage from grinding). Got them in about 1993 and they've never needed any attention. Will they ever need repair? Who knows.

Compare this to not filling obvious cavities, letting your teeth decay further, risking serious infections (that can travel systemically to your heart), and ending up losing the whole tooth or needing root canals. No thank you!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM

26,958 posts, read 10,233,541 times
OP: If one has cavities I believe they need to be fixed/addressed. How long they will last who knows. What you can do to preserve your teeth is take care of your teeth and reduce immensely sugar and carbs, I didn't realize that growing up and have a lot of dental work. I realize it now and have changed the ways of foods I chomp on. Also look at the toothpaste you are using as many contain undesirable ingredients. The commercial toothpastes are the worst. I make my own in the last few yrs and it's good old coconut oil and drops of clove oil or other good oils for dental health.
Now Foods even makes a coconut oil toothpaste for those who can't be bothered to make their own. My opinion on dental health I NOW embrace.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Quote:

What would have happened if you hadn't had the cavities filled? They would have rotted more, caused you pain, abscessed, then you would have had to have them pulled and replaced, or had root canals done with crowns placed.

Not sure what you're complaining about.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 3,170 times
I certainly see the importance of fixing them.... but i didnt realize that fillings have a finite lifespan... plus my dentist doesnt do silver ones... so i have composite fillings that i have read only last 5 years. And some of those are on molars, wished i would have known those arent recomended there.

Thx for letting me vent, the frustration of bad teeth and little money has gotten to me.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 AM

3,570 posts, read 1,447,702 times
I think they last longer than that. I've been getting resin fillings for years and, while occasionally one needs to be replaced, it's very rare. I have quite a few fillings but one I can date specifically was from an incident when my son was about 6; we were playing mini golf and I leaned down to pick up a can of pop at the same time he swung the club. Oops. The damage could have been MUCH worse but the bottom of a front tooth chipped off. The repair is still intact. My son is now 34.

If there's any chance you clench or grind your teeth while you sleep, get a bite guard to use at night. Even the ones they sell in the drug store will help protect against breaking fillings. (I had a problem with that but got a bite guard from the dentist.)

So- relax and focus on taking care of your newly-repaired teeth.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:46 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,763,647 times
Quote:
I certainly see the importance of fixing them.... but i didnt realize that fillings have a finite lifespan... plus my dentist doesnt do silver ones... so i have composite fillings that i have read only last 5 years. And some of those are on molars, wished i would have known those arent recomended there.

Thx for letting me vent, the frustration of bad teeth and little money has gotten to me.
If the inability to pay has kept or will keep you from receiving dental care look into local dental colleges and hygienist programs. They often offer steeply discounted services and/or fees on a sliding income scale.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Bizarre.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM

1,506 posts, read 807,506 times
My fillings last a very long time. I floss, brush and use a water pic and use mouthwash.

OP, how's is your oral hygiene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health