Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times

Advertisements

I have osteoporosis in my hips and spine.

About 12 years ago, after a bone density test, my GP recommended Fosamax. It worked a treat, the bone density in my back improved. After a couple of years, I started hearing anecdotal evidence that Fosamax causes necrosis of the Jaw. I stopped taking it.

About 7years later, I went to a new dentist. He asked me about medication, I mentioned Fosamax ,and he became alarmed.He had I think the calcium content of my teeth tested. It was fine. But, he said had I remained on Fosamax much longer, the calcium content of my teeth would be such that he could not do an extraction ,as the wound would not heal.

From what I can gather, the drug was released before long term effects were known.

I'v started this thread just in case the information might be relevant to even one person here.

Below is a link outlining the side effects of this drug

http://medicineinf.com/2016/08/01/fo...Side%20Effects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,168 times
This is a category of medications called bisphosphonates. Fosamax is the most common oral form. It stays in your body 11 years. Make sure you disclose this to your dentist before having any procedures involving bone such as an extraction.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
I'd read about bone density supplements sometimes causing osteonecrosis of the jawbone- a concern since I have implants and my low BMI puts me at risk for osteoporosis. I asked my oral surgeon about it- before the implant surgery he'd had me sign a long statement acknowledging the risks of the procedure; he said if I were taking bone density supplements there was an additional form I'd have to sign!

So- I'm wary of bone density supplements for that very reason.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'd read about bone density supplements sometimes causing osteonecrosis of the jawbone- a concern since I have implants and my low BMI puts me at risk for osteoporosis. I asked my oral surgeon about it- before the implant surgery he'd had me sign a long statement acknowledging the risks of the procedure; he said if I were taking bone density supplements there was an additional form I'd have to sign!

So- I'm wary of bone density supplements for that very reason.
I think you mean bone density drugs. There are supplements that help this bone density issue and the big one as I see it is magnesium. Do a search on this mineral and bones. About 20 yrs ago at 60 I had a bone density and was told osteopena and I got to work on what I could do, magnesium is saving me.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:53 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I think you mean bone density drugs. There are supplements that help this bone density issue and the big one as I see it is magnesium. Do a search on this mineral and bones. About 20 yrs ago at 60 I had a bone density and was told osteopenia and I got to work on what I could do, magnesium is saving me.
Thanks! I wasn't specific enough. I'm actually taking calcium right now; looks like I need to add magnesium. My wariness was directed at the prescriptions such as Boniva and Fosamax.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks! I wasn't specific enough. I'm actually taking calcium right now; looks like I need to add magnesium. My wariness was directed at the prescriptions such as Boniva and Fosamax.
I know you are talking about Fosamax and I'm just giving options for bone health. I believe sadly too much push for calcium by the medical world and not nearly enough push for magnesium which is the real mineral needed. I've done so much research on this issue for probably 15 yrs for myself and hardly take calcium except what I get from foods and the Vit D3 and K2 and of course magnesium ... read up on this need.

I almost came to blows with a rheumy MD some yrs back when she was pushing me to take calcium and I kept saying, no we need magnesium. She didn't do the work she needed to do.

Also what brought this all to my attention was a couple mammograms when I was in my early 50's and came up with this calcification issue, so I started to research. I was taking calcium caps back then. No more.

This is what I do for me....

Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
I've started this thread just in case the information might be relevant to even one person here.
Glad that you brought this up!

I posted this a few years back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
....After my implant dentist took an x-ray and said the area had still not healed, I met with my original dentist who looked in my files and saw that several years ago, I had taken Fosamax for a year. He told me he'd read studies about this medication eroding gum tissue and that it has some unbelievably high half life once a person stops taking it. He and my implant dentist suggested that this might be why the implant failed. (I have another implant which is fine, inserted before I took Fosamax.) The implant dentist said that while he would go ahead and try to insert a second implant, he could not guarantee its success. I declined and they both suggested putting a bridge instead, which my regular dentist put in a few weeks ago. I was not charged for the bridge, thankfully.

I've read articles about the side effects of any of the drugs that help prevent osteopenia or osteoporosis, but only a few have suggested a negative impact on teeth and gums.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know you are talking about Fosamax and I'm just giving options for bone health. I believe sadly too much push for calcium by the medical world and not nearly enough push for magnesium which is the real mineral needed. I've done so much research on this issue for probably 15 yrs for myself and hardly take calcium except what I get from foods and the Vit D3 and K2 and of course magnesium ... read up on this need.

I almost came to blows with a rheumy MD some yrs back when she was pushing me to take calcium and I kept saying, no we need magnesium. She didn't do the work she needed to do.

Also what brought this all to my attention was a couple mammograms when I was in my early 50's and came up with this calcification issue, so I started to research. I was taking calcium caps back then. No more.

This is what I do for me....
Yep, I just recently read up on the calcium issue and started the magnesium. A side benefit has been relaxation. The D3, it's supposed to be good, but for some reason it doesn't seem to like me.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yep, I just recently read up on the calcium issue and started the magnesium. A side benefit has been relaxation. The D3, it's supposed to be good, but for some reason it doesn't seem to like me.
What is it D doesn't like about you? Did you have your D levels checked, many are very deficient. Maybe you are someone who gets a lot of sun on all your body and your levels are fine. The latest research is K2 needs to be taken with D3 for best absorption. Magnesium has so many benefits and many are deficient there too.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

Research suggests that those supplementing calcium & D3 benefit most from using D3 in "dry" form (tablets) and calcium as calcium citrate. Both better absorbed by the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health