U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,103,521 times

Advertisements

Never been to a dentist that took x-rays as part of a routine cleaning and check up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 AM

6,681 posts, read 4,067,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Never been to a dentist that took x-rays as part of a routine cleaning and check up.
Most dentists take x-rays, once a year, so if you go in for cleanings every 6 months, one of those times will probably include x-rays.

For those fearful of radiation, I know some avoid flying, but you probably get a ton more radiation in that aluminum plane at 33-35,000 feet than from dental x-rays, and that radiation is to your entire body, not just your mouth!

Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 AM

611 posts, read 518,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
For those fearful of radiation, I know some avoid flying, but you probably get a ton more radiation in that aluminum plane at 33-35,000 feet than from dental x-rays, and that radiation is to your entire body, not just your mouth!
You must have missed the memo - logic and reasoning have no place in these forums.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,125,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Most dentists take x-rays, once a year, so if you go in for cleanings every 6 months, one of those times will probably include x-rays.

Do you see your doctor, an MB, for annual check up? Does he want an xray every time? Without any reason? If you are woman does your gyno want an xray every time?

Why do dentists require it once a year? how can anyone with a brain not ask why?
What does it have to do with flying and what radiation do you get in a plane?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM

10,412 posts, read 4,697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Do you see your doctor, an MB, for annual check up? Does he want an xray every time? Without any reason? If you are woman does your gyno want an xray every time?

Why do dentists require it once a year? how can anyone with a brain not ask why?
Well, there are other methods those doctors can use to determine whether other parts of you are healthy. Bloodwork, biopsy, other imagery including ultrasound, physical palpation. X-rays wouldn't provide information about soft tissues anyway (you know, um, like organs).

Old 05-10-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, there are other methods those doctors can use to determine whether other parts of you are healthy. Bloodwork, biopsy, other imagery including ultrasound, physical palpation. X-rays wouldn't provide information about soft tissues anyway (you know, um, like organs).
They don't order xrays and biopsies, or ultrasound or MRA without reason. First of all insurance will not cover such a thing and for good reason. Even mammogram is controversial. If you have a toothache or something maybe he needs an xray. if you have no problems with your teeth or gums why an xray?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM

5,806 posts, read 1,327,287 times
It does seem like dentistry is getting more expensive these days, and my dentist seems overly eager to replace my back teeth with caps. The problem there is that caps are opaque to x-rays, so you have to get the whole thing replaced if there is even a hint of a cavity. I now take extra care to keep my teeth clean, just so I don't have to fork over more money for dental work.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,067,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

There could be decay that the dentist can't see that occurred over the past year, since your last x-ray, I mean the dentist doesn't have x-ray vision you know!

As for the plane reference, you get bombarded with radiation (a lot higher than the x-ray taken at the dentist office) every time you fly, yet you don't see people complaining about all that radiation that's passing right through the plane into their bodies.

You know there is now law requiring anyone to see a dentist, many posters on here already said they haven't seen one in decades or eons. Just don't go, if you so choose!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:39 PM

[quote=cjseliga;55150573]There could be decay that the dentist can't see that occurred over the past year, since your last x-ray, I mean the dentist doesn't have x-ray vision you know!

As for the plane reference, you get bombarded with radiation (a lot higher than the x-ray taken at the dentist office) every time you fly, yet you don't see people complaining about all that radiation that's passing right through the plane into their bodies.

You know there is now law requiring anyone to see a dentist, many posters on here already said they haven't seen one in decades or eons. Just don't go, if you so choose![/QUOTE
Please cite some reference for this radiation blast in planes.
Neither do MDs have X-ray vision and yet they manage to treat healthy people without annual X-ray.
There also posters who feel that they have no control over their treatment

Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM

26,958 posts, read 10,233,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It does seem like dentistry is getting more expensive these days, and my dentist seems overly eager to replace my back teeth with caps. The problem there is that caps are opaque to x-rays, so you have to get the whole thing replaced if there is even a hint of a cavity. I now take extra care to keep my teeth clean, just so I don't have to fork over more money for dental work.
Me too, I finally woke up about 10 yrs ago and changed so much about what I put in my mouth that does more harm to my teeth. I didn't do that for a lifetime and spent more time in dental chairs. Don't want to sit in those chairs anymore. And have not go over 8 yrs, I do a good job NOW with my own care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health