U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:54 PM

5,635 posts, read 2,469,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Me too, I finally woke up about 10 yrs ago and changed so much about what I put in my mouth that does more harm to my teeth. I didn't do that for a lifetime and spent more time in dental chairs. Don't want to sit in those chairs anymore. And have not go over 8 yrs, I do a good job NOW with my own care.
You keep posting this on every thread. If you haven't gone in 8 years, how do you know you don’t have any problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 PM

26,958 posts, read 10,233,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You keep posting this on every thread. If you haven't gone in 8 years, how do you know you don’t have any problems?
To me, problems denote pain in the mouth, I have none. And I don't post on every thread, ones I choose to. I know pain and it's not from my mouth. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:21 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
They don't order xrays and biopsies, or ultrasound or MRA without reason. First of all insurance will not cover such a thing and for good reason. Even mammogram is controversial. If you have a toothache or something maybe he needs an xray. if you have no problems with your teeth or gums why an xray?

Prevention is the reason.

It's less expensive to treat problems when they are small, rather than wait until you need a root canal and crown to fix something that could have been found on x-ray when it was tiny. Also, why wait until you're in pain when you could have found the problem on x-ray before it got painful.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 PM

4,478 posts, read 2,125,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Prevention is the reason.

It's less expensive to treat problems when they are small, rather than wait until you need a root canal and crown to fix something that could have been found on x-ray when it was tiny. Also, why wait until you're in pain when you could have found the problem on x-ray before it got painful.
Because it may not become a problem. You don’t need to go poking around for problems, they show up on their own.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 PM

6,681 posts, read 4,067,611 times
Quote:
Please cite some reference for this radiation blast in planes.
Flying in airplanes exposes people to more radiation than standing next to a nuclear reactor — here's why

In fact, the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements reported in 2009 that air crews have, on average, the highest yearly dose of radiation out of all radiation-exposed workers in the US. This means they receive more radiation exposure than people who work alongside nuclear reactors.

Radiation from Air Travel

You would be exposed to about 0.035 mSv (that's 7x the amount you receive from a dental x-ray) of cosmic radiation if you were to fly within the United States from the east coast to the west coast.

X-ray Risk

Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs).

Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Quote:
Because it may not become a problem. You don’t need to go poking around for problems, they show up on their own.
The likelihood of it becoming a problem is very high. It happens every day.

But you can wait until you have pain and need a root canal and crown if you want...more money for your dentist.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:59 PM

84,038 posts, read 77,098,468 times
OP, many dentists these days use x-ray machines that cut the amount of radiation to 1/10 what it used to be. The field has modernized. You can ask your dentist about that. And many no longer take annual x-rays or even every two years. They really try to minimize the use of x-rays.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 723,143 times
Quote:
To me, problems denote pain in the mouth, I have none. And I don't post on every thread, ones I choose to. I know pain and it's not from my mouth. Thanks.
I don't think I've ever had pain from cavities. Hadn't a clue, ever, until the dentist found them, including the one so large it practically qualified as a sinkhole.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:00 AM

5,635 posts, read 2,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I don't think I've ever had pain from cavities. Hadn't a clue, ever, until the dentist found them, including the one so large it practically qualified as a sinkhole.
Right. My resorption did not hurt. I just had a huge pulpy hole inside my tooth. If I waited until it became a problem, I would have needed an implant. No, the current root canaled and filled version is no beauty queen, but it is 17 years old with few problems.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM

1,506 posts, read 807,506 times
Quote:
But you are 80 years old so if you lose a tooth unexpectedly it's not a problem like it would be for me working/speaking/training in front of clients all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health