U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 AM

611 posts, read 517,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Everybody do not get cavities. No need to go looking for them. Often they can be detected cavities by simply doing a physical examination.

Where did you get your dental degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,762,448 times
Quote:
Everybody do not get cavities. No need to go looking for them. Often they can be detected cavities by simply doing a physical examination.
Cavities begin inside the tooth as well as on the outside.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,630,743 times
Quote:

You can lead a horse to water...

Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 PM

10,710 posts, read 7,850,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I don't think I've ever had pain from cavities. Hadn't a clue, ever, until the dentist found them, including the one so large it practically qualified as a sinkhole.
I even had an abscess next to a root under a crown which wasn't painful and I wasn't even aware of it till it started draining through a hole in the gum under the crown. To be fair, it probably would have been excruciatingly painful had I not had a root canal on that tooth. The first abscess under that tooth which led to the root canal was excruciatingly painful (thank goodness for x-rays!).

I have also had some cavities which were not painful and I'd not have known about without a trip the dentist.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:53 PM

6,672 posts, read 4,063,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Cavities begin inside the tooth as well as on the outside.
Or they are in between two of your teeth and are very hard/impossible to see with the naked eye by the dentist, but can be seen on the x-ray. Like I mentioned earlier, bitewing x-rays which consist of 4 images has an effective radiation dose of 0.005 mSv, which is about the same people receive everyday from natural background radiation as they live their normal lives. X-rays can also show changes in the thickness of bone caused by gum disease.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 PM

4,442 posts, read 2,120,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Where did you get your dental degree?
Are you claiming cavities cannot be detected by a dentist with a physical exam of the mouth? Where did you get your's?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM

27,714 posts, read 19,579,666 times
Quote:
Are you claiming cavities cannot be detected by a dentist with a physical exam of the mouth? Where did you get your's?
Not all of them especially when they’re early stages and there is no pain.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/cav...f-i-cavitythem, no. Not when t

“Surprisingly, the large majority of cavities are completely painless. The outer enamel of the tooth, after all, has no nerves.

Only when a cavity enters the underlying dentin will the cavity begin to feel sensitive. When you have a cavity, the most common symptom is an increased sensation to sweet and/or cold foods and beverages.

Patients can be taken off-guard when they find out they have a few cavities even though they don't have any symptoms. But it is much better to treat a small cavity than to wait until symptoms (like pain) appear. By that time the cavity may have spread and infected the dental pulp. Then, you might need a root canal procedure or even an extraction to eliminate the infection. Regular dental examinations (twice a year or more) will greatly reduce the likelihood that a cavity will spread, causing pain and infecting the pulp.

“Cavities are discovered in several ways. The most common are clinical and x-ray exams. During a clinical exam, the dentist uses a hand-held explorer to probe the tooth surface for cavities. If it "catches," the explorer has found a weak, acid damaged section of the tooth, a cavity. Dentists can also find cavities just by looking. Discolored (usually brown or black) teeth can indicate a dental cavity. X-rays, especially check-up or bitewing x-rays, are useful in finding cavities wedged between teeth, or under the gum-line. "Hidden" cavities like these are difficult or impossible to find visually or with the explorer. Sometimes, none of these methods are adequate. In that case, a dentist must use a special disclosing solution to find a suspicious area on a tooth.”

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-15-2019 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM

611 posts, read 517,874 times
Quote:
I am stating for a fact that the diagnosis of dental decay and proper treatment plan for dealing with said decay requires both a clinical and radiographic examination.

Doctor of Dental Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Still waiting for your credentials...

Old 10-22-2019, 07:36 AM

201 posts, read 30,884 times
You are wrong here the x rays for dental implants is essential as the dentist has to determine where to place the dental implant. You can not assume by yourself that it is needed or not it is doctors place to decide what procedures he needs to do to make a successful treatment. Because after the treatment it he who you are going to blame for the wrong treatment and pain. However, if you do not to agree on the procedure of the treatment then just quit it is your right. But do not blame the doctor as he cannot proceed without following the set procedures. It is his practice license on the stake.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 AM

4,442 posts, read 2,120,551 times
Like bart0323 with great credentials, if there are other dentists who are responding to this post, I can see that you are defensive. But have you read the Atlantic story that is linked?
It will be nice if you can respond to that rather than insult those of us who are skeptical about dentists.
I have had a great dentist whom i trusted. Unfortunately he retired. But they are there, I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health