U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 PM

20 posts, read 15,895 times

Advertisements

Around the age of 19 (I'm now 30) I started to take better care of my teeth because I went to the dentist after not going for a few years and had a bunch of cavities. Ever since, I brush, floss, and use the yellow Listerine twice a day. Sometimes more depending what I ate and how my teeth feel. I go to the dentist twice or so a year for my cleanings. More often than not, I go and get told about my gums bleeding. Today she said she asked me if I bleed easy, because she didn't even see a lot of tartar and she said it wasn't good. I don't think I bleed easy from cuts or anything. This past year, my one tooth has a receded gum as well, on the bottom front, which freaks me out.

The only thing I can think of is drinking diet soda. I drink at least one glass of diet soda a day, some days I have two. Can that cause the gum problems? Maybe they are very sensitive to it? Either way, I'm going to stop drinking it daily and limit it to only when going out to dinner.

Sometimes I notice my mouth feels sorta dry as well. I forgot to mention it to them. Could dry mouth cause those problems?

I should add that the bleeding doesn't seem to happen much when I brush/floss. Only when I go to the dentist.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:25 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,731,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbott925 View Post
Around the age of 19 (I'm now 30) I started to take better care of my teeth because I went to the dentist after not going for a few years and had a bunch of cavities. Ever since, I brush, floss, and use the yellow Listerine twice a day. Sometimes more depending what I ate and how my teeth feel. I go to the dentist twice or so a year for my cleanings. More often than not, I go and get told about my gums bleeding. Today she said she asked me if I bleed easy, because she didn't even see a lot of tartar and she said it wasn't good. I don't think I bleed easy from cuts or anything. This past year, my one tooth has a receded gum as well, on the bottom front, which freaks me out.

The only thing I can think of is drinking diet soda. I drink at least one glass of diet soda a day, some days I have two. Can that cause the gum problems? Maybe they are very sensitive to it? Either way, I'm going to stop drinking it daily and limit it to only when going out to dinner.

Sometimes I notice my mouth feels sorta dry as well. I forgot to mention it to them. Could dry mouth cause those problems?

I should add that the bleeding doesn't seem to happen much when I brush/floss. Only when I go to the dentist.
Do a search on bleeding gums and Vit C and/or Grape Seed Extract.

Diet soda is NOT your friend.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,954,951 times
It's usually gingivitis, caused by plaque not being cleaned off your teeth every day with a toothbrush and floss. Other causes could be leukemia, diabetes, etc.

But it's usually gingivitis.

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/bl...r-conditions#1

Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM

28,796 posts, read 11,731,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It's usually gingivitis, caused by plaque not being cleaned off your teeth every day with a toothbrush and floss. Other causes could be leukemia, diabetes, etc.

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/bl...r-conditions#1
It's amazing how we all think so differently, I got right to Vit C deficiency and you go to dread disease thinking..yikes.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,954,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's amazing how we all think so differently, I got right to Vit C deficiency and you go to dread disease thinking..yikes.
I said it's "usually gingivitis, caused by plaque not being cleaned off your teeth every day with a toothbrush and floss." The "dread disease" part is also certainly possible, however. If you read the link I posted, you will see vitamin C deficiency also listed as a possibility.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM

6,738 posts, read 3,158,386 times
If you are using mouthwash with alcohol, that is not going to help your dry mouth and is just going to worsen any gum issues. You want to stick to mouthwash for dry mouth, like Biotene or if you want Fluoride, there is an Act variety for dry mouth that is alcohol free.

Gum disease can be caused by a variety factors that are not always related to poor cleaning. It can also be caused by brushing too hard. My periodontist thought I developed gum disease mostly in one area because I brushed it too hard and recommended sonicare. The newer models buzz at you if you push too hard, so it is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health