U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 02:54 PM

9,823 posts, read 6,249,804 times

Advertisements

Ugh.

This older friend has always been dental-phobic, so the predictable result is happening. His teeth are rotting. Judging by the smell, he must have a pretty fierce bacterial infection going on. He says he's using mouthwash. If so, it's not helping.

The tooth broke at the gum line but he says he'd never had any pain. Could the root be dead?

I advised him he really should see a dentist but he won't, because he knows all the teeth should be extracted.

Are there health consequences to letting all your teeth fall out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:05 PM

18,454 posts, read 19,211,006 times
My older/elderly husband had a lot of trouble with his teeth, even though he went to the dentist on a regular basis. When he had an infection on the roots of a couple of his upper teeth the dentist was very concerned. The dentist said that it is rare but it could lead to a serious infection in the area surrounding his artificial hip or even his brain or sepsis.

Strongly encourage your friend to see a dentist. IMHO, if he waits until all of his teeth fall out naturally he will probably have other health issues first because of the infections.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,069,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Ugh.

This older friend has always been dental-phobic, so the predictable result is happening. His teeth are rotting. Judging by the smell, he must have a pretty fierce bacterial infection going on. He says he's using mouthwash. If so, it's not helping.

The tooth broke at the gum line but he says he'd never had any pain. Could the root be dead?

I advised him he really should see a dentist but he won't, because he knows all the teeth should be extracted.

Yes, gum disease can affect the heart. He needs to see a dentist. It probably will be expensive but he may get a nice smile in return. Many dentists today use painless procedures so he shouldn't fear that.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 AM

611 posts, read 518,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Ugh.

Yes, there are numerous health consequences. If your friend's teeth are this bad, it's likely they have other health problems from lack of taking care of themselves.

The blunt truth is that there's probably not much you can do to change their mind. As a dentist, I see these types of patients every now and then. They know they have a mouthful of rot but just want the one tooth that is bothering them extracted. We do it, recommend they get a full checkup and care, and they say "ok, I'll think about it" and we never see them again. When I was younger it used to bother me but now I don't give it a second thought. It's their choice and you can't help everybody.

Focus your efforts on helping someone who actually wants to be helped.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 PM

9,823 posts, read 6,249,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Yes, there are numerous health consequences. If your friend's teeth are this bad, it's likely they have other health problems from lack of taking care of themselves.

The blunt truth is that there's probably not much you can do to change their mind. As a dentist, I see these types of patients every now and then. They know they have a mouthful of rot but just want the one tooth that is bothering them extracted. We do it, recommend they get a full checkup and care, and they say "ok, I'll think about it" and we never see them again. When I was younger it used to bother me but now I don't give it a second thought. It's their choice and you can't help everybody.

I'm sure you are right. The denial has always been strong with this one.

I haven't had much luck finding people who want to be helped. It seems there's a far larger population of people who need help but won't accept it.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 PM

2,325 posts, read 723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post

I would think you would sometimes have the problem of people who expect you to work miracles (when they've been the one neglecting their teeth for years) and then get angry when you can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or