U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 02:54 PM

7,247 posts, read 3,860,878 times

Advertisements

I guess I fall into the 3-4% of males that had a lower jaw growth spurt when I was about 20 and my upper teeth didn't keep up. It is annoying to eat and I have to chew my food more.

I have a slight under bite and all of my teeth dont line up. My teeth are very straight though.

I went to one orthodontist and he said that I would need surgery on my upper teeth/bone and they would move the teeth forward about 1/3 of an inch or so, and Im assuming this would cost like $50,000. It sounded drastic and I decided to get a second opinion.

The second orthodontist mentioned the same issue with having the growth spurt in my lower jaw but he said he could fix the issue with an "in-house" plastic retainer like invisalign, rubber bands, and some slight sanding of some of the lower teeth to make room to bring the lower teeth back a bit. There are two areas on each side of the lower teeth where there is already some space so that will help. He said this would cost about $4,200 all inclusive and Invisalign would cost about $7,500. Do these prices sound right?

Anyone have or know anyone with my condition? thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
For something complex like this, make sure these are both board certified orthodontists, not a general dentist who does orthodontics. Braces/Invisilign uses "camouflage" to hide this at the expense of changing root angulations that can sometimes lead to other problems. The Lefort surgery avoids those problems, but like any surgery, comes with its own risks. Where did you come up with the $50,000? My partner does this surgery and charges around $14,000. Insurance deductibles apply for the hospital portion.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Was just guessing about the cost. Ya I just don’t know if I can go ahead with that surgery. Invasive....

Old 07-07-2019, 06:12 PM

What other problems could arise from the Invisalign from the root?

Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
What other problems could arise from the Invisalign from the root?
They can be pushed out of the side of the bone. Front teeth usually have only about 1mm of bone on the lip side to hold them in.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 2,672 times
Hi westcoastforme,

I highly recommend getting another opinion to make sure their prices are on point! However, whoever you decide to go with, there's a handy payment calculator here to compare braces vs. Invisalign in the long run https://www.houstonortho.com/invisal...nt-calculator/.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Thanks all for the responses

Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 AM

105 posts, read 588,363 times
Surgery sounds like the permanent fix. Remember the retention rate is vitally important to success long term. Get multiple opinions. Depends on how bad your pain is and how much you desire to fully fix the problem as well .

Wouldn’t trust the invisalign option that would be hell going through with tendon pain to begin with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health