U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM

9,504 posts, read 3,568,359 times

Advertisements

The first time I went to the dentist, I was 4. I got a filling. They numbed me up good, and everything was fine.

The next time I went to the dentist, I was 5. I was chill, thinking it would go as the first appt. had gone. Well, different dentist, different experience. I got NO anesthesia, and he just stuck his big ham-hand in my mouth and started drilling. I started screaming and tried to get out of the chair.

His assistant came behind me and pinned me down by my shoulders, and then the dentist CLIMBED UP INTO THE CHAIR and stuck his knee in my chest to hold me down and finish drilling and filling. I don't know...someone sticks a body part in a orifice of your body...kinda feels like a rape. I've been dentist phobic ever since. Even though I've had less traumatic dental experiences since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 PM

105 posts, read 129,195 times
About 6 or so years ago I needed a root canal and went to an endo. I have had several root canals done with no issues so I wasn't worried. After getting anesthetic he went to work and it started hurting then hurting worse. I raised my hand and said STOP I need more pain killer. He said he was almost done kept going so I gritted my teeth. After a few minutes it hurt so bad I literally cried and screamed out. He just stared at me like I was crazy. Got angry and said more pain medicine NOW.

Sitting in the dental chair, I started thinking about the movie Marathon Man and the dental torture scene...never had pain that bad before or since.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM

611 posts, read 519,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
The first time I went to the dentist, I was 4. I got a filling. They numbed me up good, and everything was fine.

The next time I went to the dentist, I was 5. I was chill, thinking it would go as the first appt. had gone. Well, different dentist, different experience. I got NO anesthesia, and he just stuck his big ham-hand in my mouth and started drilling. I started screaming and tried to get out of the chair.

His assistant came behind me and pinned me down by my shoulders, and then the dentist CLIMBED UP INTO THE CHAIR and stuck his knee in my chest to hold me down and finish drilling and filling. I don't know...someone sticks a body part in a orifice of your body...kinda feels like a rape. I've been dentist phobic ever since. Even though I've had less traumatic dental experiences since then.
Do you think a rape victim would agree with your analogy?

Old 09-25-2019, 05:40 PM

15,742 posts, read 32,723,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Do you think a rape victim would agree with your analogy?
If you are being pinned/held against your will, it is a violation, plain and simple. I totally understand the analogy.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If you are being pinned/held against your will, it is a violation, plain and simple. I totally understand the analogy.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to derail this thread (mods please feel free to delete), but it is not "a violation, plain and simple". To make that analogy is an insult to rape victims everywhere in my opinion.

In the OPs scenario, you are being held down for your own safety while the doctor tries to perform surgery to make your body healthier overall. If you move unexpectedly you could permanently injure yourself or the doctor/assistant. Just because you can't see the benefit does not necessarily mean the doctor/healthcare provider acted inappropriately.

Do you have/ever had small children? Have you ever in your lifetime had to forcefully hold them in a certain position "against their will" to get them dressed, clean their ears, brush their teeth, force their hand away from picking at a scab, etc.? If the answer to any of these is yes, then would you consider yourself to have violated your child, and now place yourself on the same level as a rapist?

Lastly, we only got one side of the story from the OP. Perhaps the doctor recommended sedation and the parent refused due to cost, fear, etc. Maybe they had a papoose. Or (more likely) perhaps the memories the OP had from when they were 5 years old have somewhat clouded over the years. I say this because there is no dental school in the US that teaches dentists to put their knees on a patient's chest. It is virtually impossible for the dentist to work in that position. No dentist wants to make the job harder on themselves. Over the years I have had a handful of patients give me the "doctor had to put his knee on my chest" line to get a tooth out, do a filling, etc. When I questioned them for specifics, I'll let you guess how many revised their story (spoiler, it was 100%).

Old 09-26-2019, 08:50 AM

15,742 posts, read 32,723,372 times
Quote:
I'm sorry and I don't mean to derail this thread (mods please feel free to delete), but it is not "a violation, plain and simple". To make that analogy is an insult to rape victims everywhere in my opinion.

In the OPs scenario, you are being held down for your own safety while the doctor tries to perform surgery to make your body healthier overall. If you move unexpectedly you could permanently injure yourself or the doctor/assistant. Just because you can't see the benefit does not necessarily mean the doctor/healthcare provider acted inappropriately.

Do you have/ever had small children? Have you ever in your lifetime had to forcefully hold them in a certain position "against their will" to get them dressed, clean their ears, brush their teeth, force their hand away from picking at a scab, etc.? If the answer to any of these is yes, then would you consider yourself to have violated your child, and now place yourself on the same level as a rapist?

Lastly, we only got one side of the story from the OP. Perhaps the doctor recommended sedation and the parent refused due to cost, fear, etc. Maybe they had a papoose. Or (more likely) perhaps the memories the OP had from when they were 5 years old have somewhat clouded over the years. I say this because there is no dental school in the US that teaches dentists to put their knees on a patient's chest. It is virtually impossible for the dentist to work in that position. No dentist wants to make the job harder on themselves. Over the years I have had a handful of patients give me the "doctor had to put his knee on my chest" line to get a tooth out, do a filling, etc. When I questioned them for specifics, I'll let you guess how many revised their story (spoiler, it was 100%).
I'm sorry, I don't buy what you are selling - I myself (along with my sister had HORRIFIC experiences with a bad dentist when we were children - left us with phobias our entire lives. I have since had much better dentists but there are some really bad ones out there. Certainly not implying you are one of them, I'm sure you aren't but there is good and bad in everything.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I'm sorry, I don't buy what you are selling - I myself (along with my sister had HORRIFIC experiences with a bad dentist when we were children - left us with phobias our entire lives. I have since had much better dentists but there are some really bad ones out there. Certainly not implying you are one of them, I'm sure you aren't but there is good and bad in everything.
Please tell me what I am "selling". Also, I notice you didn't answer any of my previous questions, but I'll ask some just because I'm a glutton for punishment:

You stated you had a "bad dentist" as a child. Do you think the "bad dentist" purposely intended to harm and/or scar you? Do think a parent holding her screaming toddler down to clean her ears is a "bad parent" who has now violated their child?

Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 AM

14,013 posts, read 13,653,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
​And why

​i would when I was about 8 , I had one where he said I needed a tooth out and then went on a rant about not eating cakes , drinks etc , my mum swapped dentist after that.
I’ve never had a bad dentist appointment.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM

767 posts, read 449,711 times
Quote:
"I'm sorry and I don't mean to derail this thread..."
And yet you did. Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or