U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM
 
6,681 posts, read 4,067,611 times
Reputation: 8528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with tongue cancer and had surgery. I thought my experience might be beneficial to others.
I'm glad they were able to catch the cancer, I have a somewhat sad story involving cancer on the tongue.

My younger sister's fiancee was diagnosed, I think when he was only 24 or 25, with melanoma on his tongue, which is quite rare, I've been told. Not sure if his dentist caught it or he did, he never smoked or chewed tobacco, and cancer doesn't run in his family.

Anyways, they removed the melanoma from his tongue, and it didn't really effect his speech at all. They assumed they got all of the cancer at the time that was on his tongue, but I guess some of the cancer cells had already spread to other parts of his body, including his bones, and eventually he passed away at the age of 28. They were living in the Philly area at the time and even tried some "Hail Mary" drugs that were still in clinical trials at UPenn, but nothing worked.

I now it sounds cliché, but you never know, try and live every day like it's your last!

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-09-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2019, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
6,002 posts, read 6,985,606 times
Reputation: 7254
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm glad they were able to catch the cancer, I have a somewhat sad story involving cancer on the tongue.

My younger sister's fiancee was diagnosed, I think when he was only 24 or 25, with melanoma on his tongue, which is quite rare, I've been told. Not sure if his dentist caught it or he did, he never smoked or chewed tobacco, and cancer doesn't run in his family.

Anyways, they removed the melanoma from his tongue, and it didn't really effect his speech at all. They assumed they got all of the cancer at the time that was on his tongue, but I guess some of the cancer cells had already spread to other parts of his body, including his bones, and eventually he passed wary at the age of 28. They were living in the Philly area at the time and even tried some "Hail Mary's" and drugs that were still in clinical trials at UPenn, but nothing worked.

I now it sounds cliché, but you never know, try and live every day like it's your last!
When I was that age, I was not seeing a dentist on a regular basis because I've never had any cavities. The cancer I have could have gone years before it was detected. Because of my semi-annual dental checkups now, this cancer could not have been there for more than six months.

I've heard too many sad stories about melanoma. It seems some doctors are not aggressive enough with treatments and then it is too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 1,763,647 times
Reputation: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
When I was that age, I was not seeing a dentist on a regular basis because I've never had any cavities. The cancer I have could have gone years before it was detected. Because of my semi-annual dental checkups now, this cancer could not have been there for more than six months.

I've heard too many sad stories about melanoma. It seems some doctors are not aggressive enough with treatments and then it is too late.

I've had melanoma twice (once on my face and once on my back) as has my sister. Thankfully, both of us were caught early and treatment was effective and successul. The unfortunate thing with melanoma is there aren't many viable treatment options once lymph nodes become involved or it has metastized. I don't believe its a lack of aggression by physicians but a limitation of the current medical treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2019, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
6,002 posts, read 6,985,606 times
Reputation: 7254
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I've had melanoma twice (once on my face and once on my back) as has my sister. Thankfully, both of us were caught early and treatment was effective and successul. The unfortunate thing with melanoma is there aren't many viable treatment options once lymph nodes become involved or it has metastized. I don't believe its a lack of aggression by physicians but a limitation of the current medical treatments.
I was basing my comment on the fact that I know of several people who are no longer with us because their doctor wanted to watch it for awhile before starting treatment. My wife had a similar experience with another form of cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 1,763,647 times
Reputation: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was basing my comment on the fact that I know of several people who are no longer with us because their doctor wanted to watch it for awhile before starting treatment. My wife had a similar experience with another form of cancer.
Frankly, if a doctor says, “let’s watch this”—this being anything I head for a second opinion. I’m sorry that happened to this you know. I lost a friend to melanoma because he didn’t follow up as he should have after initial diagnosis and treatment. He left behind a toddler, wife and a heartbroken extended family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: I live in reality.
1,109 posts, read 1,073,720 times
Reputation: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I've had melanoma twice (once on my face and once on my back) as has my sister. Thankfully, both of us were caught early and treatment was effective and successul. The unfortunate thing with melanoma is there aren't many viable treatment options once lymph nodes become involved or it has metastized. I don't believe its a lack of aggression by physicians but a limitation of the current medical treatments.
When I first began my Nurse career in 1971, any finding of Melanoma was a death sentence...3 years or sooner. Medicine has improved so much that many people once diagnosed are alive and well and participating in City-Data! Very interesting, Charmed Hour. that both you & your sister got the diagnosis and are survivors!
Villageideot1, I'm happy that you were diagnosed early and got to a University (teaching) hospital for the surgery and treatment! May you continue to live well and be part of the C-D gang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 1,763,647 times
Reputation: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
When I first began my Nurse career in 1971, any finding of Melanoma was a death sentence...3 years or sooner. Medicine has improved so much that many people once diagnosed are alive and well and participating in City-Data! Very interesting, Charmed Hour. that both you & your sister got the diagnosis and are survivors!
Villageideot1, I'm happy that you were diagnosed early and got to a University (teaching) hospital for the surgery and treatment! May you continue to live well and be part of the C-D gang!
I think I once read the sibling likelihood stat is around 80%. I think we were both over cautious because of the friend we lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 PM
 
194 posts, read 161,802 times
Reputation: 415
Thanks for sharing! Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Knoxville, TN
1,947 posts, read 943,251 times
Reputation: 5071
Thank you for sharing this information. I was just at the dentist this morning for a cleaning. The hygienist checked my tongue and then the dentist came in and he also did it. Even though I lost my dental insurance when I retired, I keep up with twice yearly dental cleanings/exams. It is money well-spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,314 posts, read 1,118,294 times
Reputation: 4151
I was a dental assistant many years ago. They did not do through oral exams or cancer , or at least stress it in schools so much until mid seventies.
A few dentists ago I was not examined for lesions during an exam with a new office I had not been to before. I would have noticed, decided right then to not go to that dentist any longer because it should be part of your exams now. Then I got bill, they billed me for a through exam, one step above what a general exam, can't remember what the coding was. I called office and complained. The office personnel said that the dentist did do such an exam, barely sat in chair and peeked in mouth. I told them they did shoddy unprofessional work then and would no longer be their patient.

If the dentist doesn't literally grab your tongue and twist it side to side and look under tongue and all soft tissue with their mirror they are not doing a good exam, change dentists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:22 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top