U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM

991 posts, read 330,041 times

Advertisements

Did a forum search but didn't find much. My orthodontist said traditional braces were the best option for me, but quoted me almost $5000 and have to wear them for 2 years. Neither of which is acceptable, my teeth aren't that bad, I'll live with them the way they are before I go that route.

I talked to the people at Smile Direct. They seemed confident they could help, but the people I saw were not actual dental professionals. I got the impression that the cost and time wearing their product was the same (6 months and $1800-2200, depending on whether you paid all at once or in installments) for everyone, regardless of how jacked up their mouth was.

I read some reviews online. The good ones were mainly about how well their consultation was and how friendly and pleasant the staff was, while the bad ones were about receiving product late or not at all. Didn't find much about whether it actually worked or not.

Has anyone used them? Did it work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 10:41 AM

1,756 posts, read 1,686,399 times
I tried them out. Honestly, they shifted the teeth slightly but nowhere near the results that they tell you to expect. They closed the slight gap in my front teeth but they weren't aligned to the bottom properly. I just spent the $5800 to put "real" braces on.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:35 AM

84 posts, read 7,759 times
Traditional braces should not be the only option though. Invisalign or invisible braces can also help you out though it takes a little more time but atleast invisible braces do not make you ugly.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:44 AM

598 posts, read 465,725 times
Dentist here. I had a patient who did Smile Direct Club. It made her bite way worse. Turns out Smile Direct Club tried to move two teeth with their trays, not realizing the "teeth" were actually dental implants. This is what happens when you try DIY dentistry. A real orthodontist would have taken an x-ray on day one and caught that immediately.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:43 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,805,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Dentist here. I had a patient who did Smile Direct Club. It made her bite way worse. Turns out Smile Direct Club tried to move two teeth with their trays, not realizing the "teeth" were actually dental implants. This is what happens when you try DIY dentistry. A real orthodontist would have taken an x-ray on day one and caught that immediately.
? Did she tell Smile Direct she had implants or don't they ask?

Old 12-26-2019, 02:51 PM

8,741 posts, read 3,805,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
Traditional braces should not be the only option though. Invisalign or invisible braces can also help you out though it takes a little more time but atleast invisible braces do not make you ugly.
Pfft. Visible braces don't make someone ugly. What the person thinks about themselves inside their own head makes them "ugly", and the braces can't fix that. Only someone who's very superficial or juvenile would condemn someone else's braces. Visible braces just show that the wearer is trying to improve themselves. What is wrong with that?

Old 12-29-2019, 12:26 PM

12,855 posts, read 3,326,399 times
Candid Co employs orthodontists while the other mail order places only use dentists. Many times patients need to have teeth pulled to create space for other teeth to move. Only an orthodontist would know. Maybe have a consultation with a real ortho and then with that knowledge go to Candid to see if they give you the same info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or