U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2019, 08:52 AM

551 posts, read 738,879 times

Advertisements

This is a lower molar, #18 I think, that has a lot of decades-old fillings. Only one has needed to be replaced so far. But at my recent cleaning, the hygienist noticed a kind of a chip off the back of the tooth. Meaning, maybe 80-85% of the tooth is still there.

I have to see the dentist next week, & I'm wondering if he might propose a crown. Has anyone else been in this situation? (In this area, a crown is around $1400). I'm just trying to be prepared &--figure out if I'd agree to do that.

Or--maybe he might propose something else? Or, I've made it this long with the tooth (I'm in my '60's)--just keep going with the tooth & hope it doesn't break further. I've had a couple of awful experiences with with drastically broken teeth over the years, so I know what can result.

TIA for any feedback.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,927,478 times
Those old leaky amalgams give up eventually. At this point, it is no longer performing its function. You might as well just get the crown and get it over with.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:37 PM

3,874 posts, read 1,923,892 times
I just had this same situation on an upper molar. Piece chipped off, lots of fillings -I doubt I had 80% left though. Also in my 60's. Dentist suggested but did not insist on a crown, so I went for it.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 AM

551 posts, read 738,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just had this same situation on an upper molar. Piece chipped off, lots of fillings -I doubt I had 80% left though. Also in my 60's. Dentist suggested but did not insist on a crown, so I went for it.
You're in New England?--do you mind if I ask what that crown cost? I'm about 60 miles N. of Boston--last time I needed a crown I called maybe 6 dentists in NH & MA, & all right around $1400. I suppose I could get some kind of dental ins., & wait the year (probably) for them to pay for a crown, or some of it (?), but.......the dental ins. is not cheap, & every time I look at it it seems like a wash, probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health