U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 PM

7,735 posts, read 13,652,205 times

Advertisements

OP, I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was in my 20s -- first my bottom ones, which were HORRIBLY impacted and took 45-60 minutes EACH to be removed (pretty nightmare-ish! ), and then early the next year (when the new insurance year kicked in), my upper two wisdom teeth, which took literally 5-10 minutes each (they were NOT impacted and were a cinch to get out -- actually, I should have all 4 of mine out 10 years before).

I had to have root canals (then crowns) on the teeth that were NEXT TO the bottom teeth that were impacted -- I had gone close to 30 years with ZERO cavities in my whole life, but both of the teeth next to the impacted wisdom teeth ended up with cavities. (I was meticulous about brushing/flossing, but it made no difference -- I STILL missed some crucial places, apparently, because the bottom wisdom teeth were in the way -- they'd come in sideways and, as I said, I should have had them pulled many years before. )

Oh, the root canals were not a big deal at all. Just local anesthesia (although it DID include ketamine, which gave me some anxiety, unfortunately -- I understand that most people DO NOT have that reaction to it) -- but very very little actual PAIN, and no problems afterward. I know people are often terrified of root canals, but mine were SERIOUSLY not a big deal AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM

194 posts, read 161,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Two of them were partially impacted and two were in straight. One of the partially impacted ones was completely sideways, so it had to be cut in half before it could be removed.

It only took 30 minutes to remove all four, and I didn't feel any pain. I heard a lot of noise and felt some pressure, but it wasn't a bad experience at all.

I had to call around to a few oral surgeons before I could find one that would use local anesthesia, and now I get the impression that the ones who insist on putting you under just want to make more money.
I did the same last month. All four were extracted under local. I have a fear of being put to sleep at the dentist. Luckily my oral surgeon is respectful of my wishes and promised to make me comfortable. I was done in 30 minutes with two bottom impacted. I'm so thankful to have found such a good surgeon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or