U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 AM

136 posts, read 45,809 times

Advertisements

Two of them were partially impacted and two were in straight. One of the partially impacted ones was completely sideways, so it had to be cut in half before it could be removed.

It only took 30 minutes to remove all four, and I didn't feel any pain. I heard a lot of noise and felt some pressure, but it wasn't a bad experience at all.

I had to call around to a few oral surgeons before I could find one that would use local anesthesia, and now I get the impression that the ones who insist on putting you under just want to make more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM

10,412 posts, read 4,697,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Two of them were partially impacted and two were in straight. One of the partially impacted ones was completely sideways, so it had to be cut in half before it could be removed.

It only took 30 minutes to remove all four, and I didn't feel any pain. I heard a lot of noise and felt some pressure, but it wasn't a bad experience at all.

I had to call around to a few oral surgeons before I could find one that would use local anesthesia, and now I get the impression that the ones who insist on putting you under just want to make more money.
There are a lot of people who couldn't tolerate sitting still or being "present" for procedures like that. Anesthesia isn't just used for pain control. I'm sure no oral surgeon wants their patient panicking and flailing around in the middle of an extraction.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Maybe those dentists don't like being bitten while they're trying to do their job.

Teeth are sharp.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:08 PM

3,570 posts, read 1,447,702 times
Quote:
I would have had a really bad time with the issues you described and would be happy to be put under. I can ALMOST tolerate a single extraction without wanting to jump out of the chair and my dentist really is liberal with the local so it's not the pain- it's the pulling and the tugging and the sickening crack as it separates. You're a better person than I.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I would have had a really bad time with the issues you described and would be happy to be put under. I can ALMOST tolerate a single extraction without wanting to jump out of the chair and my dentist really is liberal with the local so it's not the pain- it's the pulling and the tugging and the sickening crack as it separates. You're a better person than I.
It didn't bother me.

There was the cracking sound. I also heard what sounded like a handheld Dremel tool as he was sawing through the one tooth that was sideways.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Quote:
It didn't bother me.

There was the cracking sound. I also heard what sounded like a handheld Dremel tool as he was sawing through the one tooth that was sideways.

And you wonder why people want to be put under...it's not for extra bucks for the dentist, but for the patient's comfort.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Oral surgeon here. I removed some teeth today awake and others asleep. I have patients who beg to be put to sleep. And I have others who beg to be awake to save the money. I can do it either way because it doesn't hurt me one bit, completely your decision. The sleepy medicine doesn't help me, it helps the patient. I have had many instances where I let a patient talk me into doing this awake and half way through the procedure they say they wish they were asleep. I have never had a patient be asleep and wish they were awake. It's difficult for me to truly gauge what patients can tolerate when I just met them a few minutes ago. If you want to be awake, that's fine. But don't hate me when I already advised you otherwise.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:59 AM

10,714 posts, read 7,855,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed with just local anesthesia many years ago, but it was just one tooth at a time, in four sessions. If I were to have had them pulled out all at one time, I'd have wanted to be put out.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM

528 posts, read 690,893 times
OP, did the dentist give you any good pain meds for the coming week or so? Maybe you can tough it out with just ibuprofen, but I had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once decades ago (by some quack dentist I think), & I had a really rough week ahead of me. It was nasty.....

Old 09-06-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
OP, did the dentist give you any good pain meds for the coming week or so? Maybe you can tough it out with just ibuprofen, but I had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once decades ago (by some quack dentist I think), & I had a really rough week ahead of me. It was nasty.....
I got some pain medication. I had the surgery done on Wednesday morning, and I took my last dose last night. I'm going to keep the bottle for a few days in case there is a flare up and then get rid of it.

Fortunately, I haven't felt much pain but there is some swelling on my lower left cheek. That is the area where the sideways tooth was removed.

I also have some antibiotics that I'll be taking for the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or