U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,135 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi,

I have clean bill of health for my teeth, no fillings. One session of laser whitening a few months back a take home and in-tray whitening follow up. Both were fairly successful (went from mid brown to off white).

My teeth are straight but there's one major problem for me - they are huge. Particularly my front teeth, although the rest of the teeth are somewhat in proportion so I don't have major rabbit teeth, but the front teeth protrude a little.

I had terrible orthodontic problems for years when I was younger, mainly because my teeth were just all over the place. Finally got the braces off when I was a teenager (17 years ago). I chatted with my new dentist about this (just moved countries) and he wasn't particularly helpful, focused more on the tiny bit of ground down incisor and that one tooth looked wonky from the side. He even did a wax up for veneers for $200 which made my teeth look even bigger, so evidently he wasn't listening and he isn't actually a cosmetic specialist, just a young generalist dentist so my fault really I should've gone with a cosmetic guy for this stuff. He's now referred me to an orthodontist but I'm not entirely sure what he can suggest..

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/6myxW3o
https://imgur.com/a/50576hG
https://imgur.com/tvYHoSY


Before anyone replies with 'they're not so bad!' or 'they're not big at all', believe me in person, they are. Whenever I talk to anyone their gaze generally lowers to my teeth for at least the first part of the conversation. It's been bugging me and affecting me my whole life, mainly starting when I got braces and the front teeth got pulled down even more, giving an enlarged look.

Anyway, I was just seeing if there were any suggestions. I imagine it's either going to be a large overhaul i.e. removal of teeth and replacement with implants. With implants though, surely my gums would have to be re-contoured to match a new, narrower set of teeth as well?

Another option might be to just to grind down the bottoms of the teeth by a dentist, which is still going to leave them looking wide anyway.

All suggestions are welcome, and please, no-one tell me I'm imaging it or have facial dysmorphia or anything, it's not helpful. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 PM
 
540 posts, read 201,970 times
Reputation: 1443
My natural front teeth were too big also. I was very self-conscious about it. I went to a younger dentist who said I could get veneers (“caps”) that would fit my mouth better. They do some grinding down but with local anesthetic so it didn’t hurt. They look natural and are a huge improvement.

If I were you I would consult with a cosmetic dentist about your options. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Reputation: 25398
I think you have beautiful teeth and they fit your face perfectly. Perhaps people look at them for the same reason that I would, because they are extraordinarily attractive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 02:57 PM
 
2,900 posts, read 1,632,855 times
Reputation: 12658
Quote:
Originally Posted by david377007 View Post


Before anyone replies with 'they're not so bad!' or 'they're not big at all', believe me in person, they are. Whenever I talk to anyone their gaze generally lowers to my teeth for at least the first part of the conversation. It's been bugging me and affecting me my whole life, mainly starting when I got braces and the front teeth got pulled down even more, giving an enlarged look.

They look at your teeth because they are nice looking teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2019, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
40,622 posts, read 50,596,575 times
Reputation: 114239
Shaving/grinding down teeth would expose their interior, causing pain and permanent damage. The protective enamel will not grow back.
You should discuss this with a cosmetic dentistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,135 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think you have beautiful teeth and they fit your face perfectly. Perhaps people look at them for the same reason that I would, because they are extraordinarily attractive
Did you not read my post? I specifically asked do NOT respond with this stuff. I guess there's just no hope for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 02:51 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,135 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
My natural front teeth were too big also. I was very self-conscious about it. I went to a younger dentist who said I could get veneers (“caps”) that would fit my mouth better. They do some grinding down but with local anesthetic so it didn’t hurt. They look natural and are a huge improvement.

If I were you I would consult with a cosmetic dentist about your options. Good luck.
Yea thanks, I think that'll be my next option. I should've gone to a cosmetic one to start with to be honest (who also does general dentistry) as my teeth are in very very good health otherwise. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
34,802 posts, read 16,034,977 times
Reputation: 25398
Quote:
Originally Posted by david377007 View Post
Did you not read my post? I specifically asked do NOT respond with this stuff. I guess there's just no hope for some people.
Sorry but you don't control what people post here. Your teeth are attractive and the thought of undergoing procedures that might weaken them or compromise them for absolutely no reason is disturbing, it's my sincere hope that you rethink this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM
 
15,740 posts, read 32,707,463 times
Reputation: 19692
Well, the picture links don't work for me, but I would think hard before messing with perfectly good teeth just for what you perceive to be flaws. If you are unhappy you can't really undo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,135 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry but you don't control what people post here. Your teeth are attractive and the thought of undergoing procedures that might weaken them or compromise them for absolutely no reason is disturbing, it's my sincere hope that you rethink this
I never said I wanted to control what people write on here, it was a polite request that you immediately ignored.

I wouldn't be undergoing a procedure for 'no reason' it's because I want them to look more aesthetically pleasing. You sound like my wife! haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top